Under The Table Turnouts

  • Yahoo
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 29, 2008
      I have a question about under-the-table switch machines. If I get
      Micro-Trains z-gauge manual turnouts, can I use either Atlas or PECO
      under-the-table switch machines to operate them electrically? If I do
      that, how difficult will the mounting and alignment of the actuator
      arm (from the switch machine) be for z-gauge? I am also concerned that
      since the under-the-table switch machines I am considering have throws
      meant for HO and N-gauge, they may be too gross for z-gauge. Perhaps
      these extra mechanical challenges are ultimately not worth the effort.
      I am trying to make my Z-gauge layout look as realistic as possible
      without spending too-many extra $'s. May be I can simply conceal the
      switch machine boxes for the remote turnouts from Micro-trains by
      covering them with ballast. If you have any other suggestions, that
      would be very helpful indeed.
    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
        Hello Dipu' Personal (?),

        > under-the-table switch machines.

        I didn't use those from Atlas or Peco, but a cheap one from Conrad
        (German Radio Shack?) for a test of this some time ago.

        Basically it is easier to convert the MTL turn outs then the Maerklin
        ones. Less work on delicate parts to do. Besides drilling a hole into
        the small tab at the side of the turn out there is only one small
        modification of the baseplate necessary. You can see it here (probably
        have to log in into Yahoogroups):

        the black marking in the red circle I did to see where I had to file
        of the baseplate. This is to prevent the wire to scrap against the
        baseplate which would lead to unnecessary friction. In another picture
        of my album you can see what can be seen from the top (except that I
        used a to thin piece of plywood for the test, and thus the screws came
        through on the top, and I didn't cut the leverwire because it was only
        a test). But on a real layout the trackbed would be stronger.

        To hide the MTL turn out switch machine boxes by covering with ballast
        won't work, sine they are much to big and especially to high for that.
        This might work for the Maerklin turn outs, but not for the MTLs.

        --
        GreetingZ
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
          > switch machine boxes for the remote turnouts from Micro-trains by
          > covering them with ballast. If you have any other suggestions, that
          > would be very helpful indeed.

          If you use stall type motors (Tortoise etc) then the throw shouldn't
          matter. For small layouts don't however overlook the wonders of wire in
          tube or straight mechanical linkages.

          Alan
        • dipugee
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> wrote:

            > Hello Dipu' Personal (?),
            >

            > > under-the-table switch machines.
            >
            > I didn't use those from Atlas or Peco, but a cheap one from Conrad
            > (German Radio Shack?) for a test of this some time ago.
            >
            > Basically it is easier to convert the MTL turn outs then the Maerklin
            > ones. Less work on delicate parts to do. Besides drilling a hole into
            > the small tab at the side of the turn out there is only one small
            > modification of the baseplate necessary. You can see it here (probably
            > have to log in into Yahoogroups):

            > the black marking in the red circle I did to see where I had to file
            > of the baseplate. This is to prevent the wire to scrap against the
            > baseplate which would lead to unnecessary friction. In another picture
            > of my album you can see what can be seen from the top (except that I
            > used a to thin piece of plywood for the test, and thus the screws came
            > through on the top, and I didn't cut the leverwire because it was only
            > a test). But on a real layout the trackbed would be stronger.
            >
            > To hide the MTL turn out switch machine boxes by covering with ballast
            > won't work, sine they are much to big and especially to high for that.
            > This might work for the Maerklin turn outs, but not for the MTLs.
            >

            > --
            > GreetingZ
            > Uwe

            Thanks Uwe. I am assuming you started with the manual turnouts from Micro Train? Also,
            I have a bigger picture question. I am trying to model in both N-and Z gauges, primarily
            Austrian and German settings (My wife is from the Linz area of Austria). Do you think I
            could mix both the N & Z-gauges on the same layout, with Z mimicking metre gauge?
            Have you seen any plans like that? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

            With my best.

            Dipu'

            (San Jose, CA)
          • Uwe Liermann
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
              Hello Dipu',

              > I am assuming you started with the manual turnouts from Micro Train?

              you're right, I did this test when the remote turn outs weren't
              available. But I got two sets (one left, one right) of the remote turn
              outs later, and then I saw that I wouldn't use those in any visible
              area of a layout. The Maerklin turn outs could relatively easy
              camouflaged with some paint, but the turn out drive from MTL just is
              to bulky...

              On my current layout in work I still use Maerklin track, because when I
              started, and still now some in my opinion important track sections are
              missing. I'm sure that this is just a question of time, and there is a
              way to make customized length pieces from MTL tracks.

              > I am trying to model in both N-and Z gauges, primarily Austrian and
              > German settings (My wife is from the Linz area of Austria). Do you
              > think I could mix both the N & Z-gauges on the same layout, with Z
              > mimicking metre gauge?

              I don't believe that taking a Z loco or car and pretending that it is
              a metre gauge train would work. The only thing that is right on this
              is that in N scale metre gauge train use 6.5mm tracks which is the
              standard gauge in Z scale.

              On the other hand there is some rolling stock in Zm, only it isn't
              that low in price. There is FR in Germany:

              http://www.fr-model.de/index.php?lang=en&what=products

              more abotu Zm you also can find here:

              http://www.zettzeit.ch/Download.html

              it is the Zm-Info, unfortunately in German.

              then there is the Julierbahn from Jens Wimmel which has a small Zm
              portion in one part:

              http://www.zettzeit.ch/Julierbahn.html

              also on his website (which is a great pool of information and links
              anyway...) is this article about a place where standard an metre gauge
              meets in Switzerland:

              http://www.zettzeit.ch/Stallinger_1.html

              it's an interesting place with tracks that have three rails for both
              gauges.

              --
              GreetingZ
              Uwe
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
                Has anyone experimented with a magnetic throw ? Those magnets must be there for some reason !
                John

                It has removed 2370 spam emails to date.

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
                  Try this site
                  _http://www.newrailmodels.com/Products/Accessories/BluePoint/BluePoint.htm_
                  (http://www.newrailmodels.com/Products/Accessories/BluePoint/BluePoint.htm) they make a below table manual switch unit that works fine with
                  Z gauge. You have to cut back a bit of the material near the MTL slide switch
                  and of course drill a small hole. I found the wire they supplied not tough
                  enough and had to fins an alternative, but the principle is fine.

                  Bob Fage (in the UK)