UMTRR August, 2001

  • jmac_han@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2001
      IRWINSJOURNAL.COM Presents:
      The Unofficial Micro-Trains® Release Report
      August, 2001
      (Not affiliated with Micro-Trains Line, Inc.)

      Copyright (C) 2001, George J. Irwin.

      Z SCALE NEW RELEASES: No releases this month.

      Z SCALE REPRINTS:

      14505, Marklin® Coupler, $10.10; 14505-2, Magne-Matic® Coupler,
      $11.80 - 40 Foot Flat Car, Union Pacific. Brown with yellow
      lettering including reporting marks on left and "Serves all the
      West" slogan on right. Reporting Marks: UP 51547. Approximate
      Time Period: mid-1950's to mid-1970's as painted, see text.

      This is erroneously listed as a new release in the printed MTL
      flyers and in the website as it exists at "press time" but I have
      been told that it is in fact a reprint. It's been run at least
      twice before in road numbers 51501 and 51508. One of these days
      I'll get a definitive Z Scale release database going, or maybe MTL
      will. That's an area in which I would definitely accept help!

      The "typical of" disclaimer in the MTL car copy suggests that this
      scheme may not be entirely prototypical, but I can't validate this
      one way or the other. I can tell you that while MTL gives the
      built date as 1930 and the paint scheme as belonging to the 1930's,
      the car series is not in the January 1940 ORER (Westerfield CD-ROM).
      There are series all around it, but there are no cars numbered
      in the 51000's at all. What? We do no better in the July 1950
      ORER either. Finally, I pick up series 51501 to 51800 up in the
      January 1959 ORER (Westerfield CD-ROM) of 42 foot 6 inch "inside"

      length, for 285 cars. But this seems out of the Approximate Time
      Period for the "Serves All The West" slogan, doesn't it?

      Maybe not. The N Scale reprint 45050 flat car which had the "Serves
      All The West" slogan on one side of the car and the "Road of the
      Streamliners" slogan on the other side dates out to the 1940's to
      the 1960's. So we may not be off after all. For the record,
      the series stands at 276 cars in January 1964, 249 cars in April
      1970 and 124 cars in April 1981, but by that time I believe that
      the cars would no longer be wearing any slogan at all. How does
      this jive with the 1930 built date? Well, it probably doesn't.
      Based on the ORER listings it looks like the 51000 series would
      have been assigned to the OWR&N subsidiary of the Union Pacific
      had it been around in the 1930's. But I think 1:220 modellers in
      the 1950's and 1960's time period are A-OK.