Re: Ztrains New Article: Static Grass Applicator

  • John Cubbin
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 4, 2008
      > Hi John,
      >
      > Great article on the static grass applicator and it looks a doddle
      to build.

      > I just need to find a UK supplier of the low voltage negative ion
      > generator....
      >
      > Kind RegardZ
      >
      > Melissa Cull

      Hi Melissa,

      Glad you liked the article. If you do build one, just remember you
      need a high voltage generator. The one in the article produces 15kV
      volts. That sounds really strange I know, but it's a low amperage device.

      John
      http://www.ztrains.com
    • robertfage@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
        John a great item a great price and I liked the video.

        Is this not similar to the Noch item produced that does the same thing? It
        can be used on European voltage also. In the UK guagemaster sell it.

        _http://www.gaugemaster.co.uk/search_results.asp?OB=c_a&searchstring=n60130&an
        dor=View&searchtitle=Grass+Master&style=main#0_
        (http://www.gaugemaster.co.uk/search_results.asp?OB=c_a&searchstring=n60130&andor=View&searchtitle=Grass+Mas
        ter&style=main#0)

        Bob Fage (in the UK)

      • Alan Cox
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
          On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 20:04:52 -0000
          "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...> wrote:

          > Hi John,
          >
          > Great article on the static grass applicator and it looks a doddle to build.
          >
          > I just need to find a UK supplier of the low voltage negative ion
          > generator....

          I believe Noch and Gaugemaster sell suitable built devices. Also remember
          don't get 15kV static generators close to microcontrollers and the like!
          15kV will make your grass stand on end but it will also make your DCC
          chips very unhappy if they get any of it 8)
        • Melissa Cull
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
            Hi John,

            No not strange at all, I've built a mains powered ioniser a few years ago
            which was a sealed unit when finished and worked in electronics industry for
            many years with low voltage modules that would produce 50,000 volts low amps
            to power mini flourescent tubes in computer flat screens - nice kick off
            those if not careful, some of my colleagues used to use the tiny circuit to
            make car security devices - touch the car and get zapped - dangerous but a
            good deterrant for car thieves!

            People with weak hearts, pacemakers should avoid working on these types of
            circuits and also using them or the electronic fly swats - 50,000 volts low
            amps but still have a warning.

            Kind RegardZ

            Melissa Cull
            UK

            Hi Melissa,

            Glad you liked the article. If you do build one, just remember you
            need a high voltage generator. The one in the article produces 15kV
            volts. That sounds really strange I know, but it's a low amperage device.

            John
            http://www.ztrains.com

          • Glen Chenier
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
              What a great idea! Thanks for posting this.

              On another topic, only one photo left in the Home Page Photos
              folder. Need some more submissions pleeZe.

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John Cubbin" <john_ztrains@...>

            • robertfage@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 6, 2008
                Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think the Noch at
                £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.

                Bob Fage (in the UK)

              • Melissa Cull
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 8, 2008
                  Hi Bob,

                  Happy to make you one too if I can get the negative ion generator part in UK
                  reasonably, all other bits are available in UK. It's just as easy to make a
                  batch as it is one by the time all the tools are set out.

                  I used to make batches of electronic handheld / panel mount slow smooth
                  speed controllers for N, OO scales and a souped up one for O scale which
                  would crawl along at a lovely smooth snails pace with brass locos an lots of
                  wagons or brass coaches:-) Must make some for Z scale one day, I just need
                  to change an IC for the 8 volt max output.

                  The cheapest I've seen the Noch low voltage grassinator is £120 and the
                  original mains voltage was almost £200 - cringe:-(

                  Kind RegardZ

                  Melissa Cull
                  UK

                  Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think the Noch
                  at
                  £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.

                  Bob Fage (in the UK)

                • Edward Scullin
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 8, 2008
                    Melissa
                    I would be interested in obtaining one of you speed controls if you ever decide to go into limited
                    production. I have both the Joerger and The snail speed controller. Am always interested in a
                    better mouse trap. I am in the US so would need either 110 Volt 60 hertz AC input or a DC input
                    from a wall wall wart.
                    Ed Scullin

                    --- Melissa Cull <melissa.cull@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Bob,
                    >
                    > Happy to make you one too if I can get the negative ion generator part in UK
                    > reasonably, all other bits are available in UK. It's just as easy to make a
                    > batch as it is one by the time all the tools are set out.
                    >
                    > I used to make batches of electronic handheld / panel mount slow smooth
                    > speed controllers for N, OO scales and a souped up one for O scale which
                    > would crawl along at a lovely smooth snails pace with brass locos an lots of
                    > wagons or brass coaches:-) Must make some for Z scale one day, I just need
                    > to change an IC for the 8 volt max output.
                    >
                    > The cheapest I've seen the Noch low voltage grassinator is £120 and the
                    > original mains voltage was almost £200 - cringe:-(
                    >
                    > Kind RegardZ
                    >
                    > Melissa Cull
                    > UK
                    >

                    > Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think the Noch
                    > at
                    > £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.
                    >
                    > Bob Fage (in the UK)

                  • Don A
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 8, 2008
                      Melissa:

                      If you are going into production, I would be interrested also.

                      Don -- OHIO, USA

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

                      > Melissa
                      > I would be interested in obtaining one of you speed controls if you
                      ever decide to go into limited
                      > production. I have both the Joerger and The snail speed controller.
                      Am always interested in a
                      > better mouse trap. I am in the US so would need either 110 Volt 60
                      hertz AC input or a DC input
                      > from a wall wall wart.
                      > Ed Scullin
                      >

                      > --- Melissa Cull <melissa.cull@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Hi Bob,
                      > >
                      > > Happy to make you one too if I can get the negative ion generator
                      part in UK
                      > > reasonably, all other bits are available in UK. It's just as easy
                      to make a
                      > > batch as it is one by the time all the tools are set out.
                      > >
                      > > I used to make batches of electronic handheld / panel mount slow
                      smooth
                      > > speed controllers for N, OO scales and a souped up one for O scale
                      which
                      > > would crawl along at a lovely smooth snails pace with brass locos
                      an lots of
                      > > wagons or brass coaches:-) Must make some for Z scale one day, I
                      just need
                      > > to change an IC for the 8 volt max output.
                      > >
                      > > The cheapest I've seen the Noch low voltage grassinator is £120
                      and the
                      > > original mains voltage was almost £200 - cringe:-(
                      > >
                      > > Kind RegardZ
                      > >
                      > > Melissa Cull
                      > > UK
                      > >

                      > > Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think
                      the Noch
                      > > at
                      > > £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.
                      > >
                      > > Bob Fage (in the UK)

                    • Melissa Cull
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 9, 2008
                        Hi Ed,

                        The "MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller" actually runs on 9 - 16v AC / DC so
                        you can provide any mains step down plug in transformer unit you like.

                        However the current IC in the N / OO scale give 12v DC output at about
                        /2 - 1 amp and the O scale 12v DC at about 1 - 5 amps. Will have to dig out
                        the box of bits to give you exact output amps for those.

                        It works with coreless motors too as it doesn't use feedback, one of the
                        local model clubs runs both O scale coreless and old iron motors in brass
                        bodied locos and they run beautifully at huge exhibitions like Warley in the
                        UK.

                        For Z scale I only need to change one of the IC's to a lower 8 volt output
                        one, I think I've got enough of the other components left to build one or
                        two if you want one but it wouldn't take me long to gather the bits together
                        if I've not got them all in stock still.

                        The idea originated from spending a fortune on an N scale Gaugmaster
                        controller which ran like a bag of spanners which had more Jerk than Jerk
                        Chicken! So I thought I'm sure I can make something better than this myself
                        and this was how the "MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller" came about.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 9, 2008
                          Hi Don,

                          The Grassinator or MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller?

                          If I can get enough orders for either together I would be happy to run off a
                          small batch of 6 - 12 to see how they go.

                          So far 3 people have shown an interest.

                          Kind RegardZ

                          Melissa Cull
                          UK

                          Melissa:

                          If you are going into production, I would be interrested also.

                          Don -- OHIO, USA

                        • Andrew Honeychurch
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 9, 2008
                            Hello Melissa:

                            I'd be interested in one of each.

                            Thanks,

                            Andrew Honeychurch
                            US

                            On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Melissa Cull <
                            melissa.cull@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Don,
                            >
                            > The Grassinator or MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller?
                            >
                            > If I can get enough orders for either together I would be happy to run off
                            > small batch of 6 - 12 to see how they go.
                            >
                            > So far 3 people have shown an interest.
                            >
                            > Kind RegardZ
                            >
                            > Melissa Cull
                            > UK
                            >
                            > Melissa:
                            >
                            > If you are going into production, I would be interrested also.
                            >
                            > Don -- OHIO, USA

                          • John Cubbin
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 10, 2008
                              For those outside of the US, an outfit in Australia called Oatley
                              Electronics carries negative ion generators for a price similar to the
                              US based Electronic Goldmine:

                              http://oatleyelectronics.com/

                              I'm not sure on the cost of shipping from Australia to Europe or
                              England... but it may be more reasonable than buying from the US when
                              factoring in the mailing costs.

                              A quick glance at the specs of the Oatley generator shows it to be a
                              similar unit as the Electronic Goldmine piece.

                              On the Oatley site if you do a product search for "ion generator"
                              you'll find a pair of these units.

                              John
                              http://www.ztrains.com
                            • Melissa Cull
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 18, 2008
                                Hello Andrew,

                                You are on the list for the Grassinator.

                                I've so far had 2 people interested in the MLC Troller slow speed
                                controllers, will need more interest to run a small batch of those. Also
                                need to know length of cable required if handheld.

                                Kind RegardZ

                                Melissa

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 30, 2008
                                  Hi,

                                  To those that showed a pre-order interest in having a grassinator only ready
                                  made (provide your own 12vdc PSU as shipping those is prohibative and PSU's
                                  are really expensive in the UK) I've now got all the parts together to make
                                  a dozen units and worked out how much they will cost to just cover parts and
                                  my own unit they work out at £30 sterling as I've had to import the negative
                                  ion generators from the USA via a third party as the company doesn't ship
                                  directly to the UK and the other parts are more expensive in the UK anyway.

                                  I'm not charging for labour as I just want to cover the cost of my own unit.
                                  If I make another batch that would be a different matter.

                                  As the Noch low voltage grassinator retails at £120 sterling and the mains
                                  powered one at £220 sterling £30 sterling is still a bargain.

                                  Postage will be at cost.

                                  Please will you confirm your definite orders offline thank you.

                                  Kind RegardZ

                                  Melissa
                                  UK