RE: [Z_Scale] Ztrains New Article: Static Grass Applicator

  • Melissa Cull
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 4, 2008
      Hi John,

      Great article on the static grass applicator and it looks a doddle to build.

      I just need to find a UK supplier of the low voltage negative ion
      generator....

      Kind RegardZ

      Melissa Cull
      UK

      Hi,

      We've just posted our new "Grassinator" static grass applicator
      article up at Ztrains.com. We've set the article as a step-by-step
      build for beginners, as well as using simplified wiring diagrams for
      the more experienced users. It really is a neat little device.

      Enjoy this new article!

      John Cubbin
      Ztrains.com
      http://www.ztrains.com

    • John Cubbin
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 4, 2008
        > Hi John,
        >
        > Great article on the static grass applicator and it looks a doddle
        to build.

        > I just need to find a UK supplier of the low voltage negative ion
        > generator....
        >
        > Kind RegardZ
        >
        > Melissa Cull

        Hi Melissa,

        Glad you liked the article. If you do build one, just remember you
        need a high voltage generator. The one in the article produces 15kV
        volts. That sounds really strange I know, but it's a low amperage device.

        John
        http://www.ztrains.com
      • robertfage@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
          John a great item a great price and I liked the video.

          Is this not similar to the Noch item produced that does the same thing? It
          can be used on European voltage also. In the UK guagemaster sell it.

          _http://www.gaugemaster.co.uk/search_results.asp?OB=c_a&searchstring=n60130&an
          dor=View&searchtitle=Grass+Master&style=main#0_
          (http://www.gaugemaster.co.uk/search_results.asp?OB=c_a&searchstring=n60130&andor=View&searchtitle=Grass+Mas
          ter&style=main#0)

          Bob Fage (in the UK)

        • Alan Cox
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
            On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 20:04:52 -0000
            "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...> wrote:

            > Hi John,
            >
            > Great article on the static grass applicator and it looks a doddle to build.
            >
            > I just need to find a UK supplier of the low voltage negative ion
            > generator....

            I believe Noch and Gaugemaster sell suitable built devices. Also remember
            don't get 15kV static generators close to microcontrollers and the like!
            15kV will make your grass stand on end but it will also make your DCC
            chips very unhappy if they get any of it 8)
          • Melissa Cull
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
              Hi John,

              No not strange at all, I've built a mains powered ioniser a few years ago
              which was a sealed unit when finished and worked in electronics industry for
              many years with low voltage modules that would produce 50,000 volts low amps
              to power mini flourescent tubes in computer flat screens - nice kick off
              those if not careful, some of my colleagues used to use the tiny circuit to
              make car security devices - touch the car and get zapped - dangerous but a
              good deterrant for car thieves!

              People with weak hearts, pacemakers should avoid working on these types of
              circuits and also using them or the electronic fly swats - 50,000 volts low
              amps but still have a warning.

              Kind RegardZ

              Melissa Cull
              UK

              Hi Melissa,

              Glad you liked the article. If you do build one, just remember you
              need a high voltage generator. The one in the article produces 15kV
              volts. That sounds really strange I know, but it's a low amperage device.

              John
              http://www.ztrains.com

            • Glen Chenier
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
                What a great idea! Thanks for posting this.

                On another topic, only one photo left in the Home Page Photos
                folder. Need some more submissions pleeZe.

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John Cubbin" <john_ztrains@...>

              • robertfage@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 6, 2008
                  Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think the Noch at
                  £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.

                  Bob Fage (in the UK)

                • Melissa Cull
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 8, 2008
                    Hi Bob,

                    Happy to make you one too if I can get the negative ion generator part in UK
                    reasonably, all other bits are available in UK. It's just as easy to make a
                    batch as it is one by the time all the tools are set out.

                    I used to make batches of electronic handheld / panel mount slow smooth
                    speed controllers for N, OO scales and a souped up one for O scale which
                    would crawl along at a lovely smooth snails pace with brass locos an lots of
                    wagons or brass coaches:-) Must make some for Z scale one day, I just need
                    to change an IC for the 8 volt max output.

                    The cheapest I've seen the Noch low voltage grassinator is £120 and the
                    original mains voltage was almost £200 - cringe:-(

                    Kind RegardZ

                    Melissa Cull
                    UK

                    Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think the Noch
                    at
                    £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.

                    Bob Fage (in the UK)

                  • Edward Scullin
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 8, 2008
                      Melissa
                      I would be interested in obtaining one of you speed controls if you ever decide to go into limited
                      production. I have both the Joerger and The snail speed controller. Am always interested in a
                      better mouse trap. I am in the US so would need either 110 Volt 60 hertz AC input or a DC input
                      from a wall wall wart.
                      Ed Scullin

                      --- Melissa Cull <melissa.cull@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Bob,
                      >
                      > Happy to make you one too if I can get the negative ion generator part in UK
                      > reasonably, all other bits are available in UK. It's just as easy to make a
                      > batch as it is one by the time all the tools are set out.
                      >
                      > I used to make batches of electronic handheld / panel mount slow smooth
                      > speed controllers for N, OO scales and a souped up one for O scale which
                      > would crawl along at a lovely smooth snails pace with brass locos an lots of
                      > wagons or brass coaches:-) Must make some for Z scale one day, I just need
                      > to change an IC for the 8 volt max output.
                      >
                      > The cheapest I've seen the Noch low voltage grassinator is £120 and the
                      > original mains voltage was almost £200 - cringe:-(
                      >
                      > Kind RegardZ
                      >
                      > Melissa Cull
                      > UK
                      >

                      > Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think the Noch
                      > at
                      > £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.
                      >
                      > Bob Fage (in the UK)

                    • Don A
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 8, 2008
                        Melissa:

                        If you are going into production, I would be interrested also.

                        Don -- OHIO, USA

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

                        > Melissa
                        > I would be interested in obtaining one of you speed controls if you
                        ever decide to go into limited
                        > production. I have both the Joerger and The snail speed controller.
                        Am always interested in a
                        > better mouse trap. I am in the US so would need either 110 Volt 60
                        hertz AC input or a DC input
                        > from a wall wall wart.
                        > Ed Scullin
                        >

                        > --- Melissa Cull <melissa.cull@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Hi Bob,
                        > >
                        > > Happy to make you one too if I can get the negative ion generator
                        part in UK
                        > > reasonably, all other bits are available in UK. It's just as easy
                        to make a
                        > > batch as it is one by the time all the tools are set out.
                        > >
                        > > I used to make batches of electronic handheld / panel mount slow
                        smooth
                        > > speed controllers for N, OO scales and a souped up one for O scale
                        which
                        > > would crawl along at a lovely smooth snails pace with brass locos
                        an lots of
                        > > wagons or brass coaches:-) Must make some for Z scale one day, I
                        just need
                        > > to change an IC for the 8 volt max output.
                        > >
                        > > The cheapest I've seen the Noch low voltage grassinator is £120
                        and the
                        > > original mains voltage was almost £200 - cringe:-(
                        > >
                        > > Kind RegardZ
                        > >
                        > > Melissa Cull
                        > > UK
                        > >

                        > > Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think
                        the Noch
                        > > at
                        > > £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.
                        > >
                        > > Bob Fage (in the UK)

                      • Melissa Cull
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 9, 2008
                          Hi Ed,

                          The "MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller" actually runs on 9 - 16v AC / DC so
                          you can provide any mains step down plug in transformer unit you like.

                          However the current IC in the N / OO scale give 12v DC output at about
                          /2 - 1 amp and the O scale 12v DC at about 1 - 5 amps. Will have to dig out
                          the box of bits to give you exact output amps for those.

                          It works with coreless motors too as it doesn't use feedback, one of the
                          local model clubs runs both O scale coreless and old iron motors in brass
                          bodied locos and they run beautifully at huge exhibitions like Warley in the
                          UK.

                          For Z scale I only need to change one of the IC's to a lower 8 volt output
                          one, I think I've got enough of the other components left to build one or
                          two if you want one but it wouldn't take me long to gather the bits together
                          if I've not got them all in stock still.

                          The idea originated from spending a fortune on an N scale Gaugmaster
                          controller which ran like a bag of spanners which had more Jerk than Jerk
                          Chicken! So I thought I'm sure I can make something better than this myself
                          and this was how the "MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller" came about.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 9, 2008
                            Hi Don,

                            The Grassinator or MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller?

                            If I can get enough orders for either together I would be happy to run off a
                            small batch of 6 - 12 to see how they go.

                            So far 3 people have shown an interest.

                            Kind RegardZ

                            Melissa Cull
                            UK

                            Melissa:

                            If you are going into production, I would be interrested also.

                            Don -- OHIO, USA

                          • Andrew Honeychurch
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 9, 2008
                              Hello Melissa:

                              I'd be interested in one of each.

                              Thanks,

                              Andrew Honeychurch
                              US

                              On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Melissa Cull <
                              melissa.cull@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Don,
                              >
                              > The Grassinator or MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller?
                              >
                              > If I can get enough orders for either together I would be happy to run off
                              > small batch of 6 - 12 to see how they go.
                              >
                              > So far 3 people have shown an interest.
                              >
                              > Kind RegardZ
                              >
                              > Melissa Cull
                              > UK
                              >
                              > Melissa:
                              >
                              > If you are going into production, I would be interrested also.
                              >
                              > Don -- OHIO, USA

                            • John Cubbin
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 10, 2008
                                For those outside of the US, an outfit in Australia called Oatley
                                Electronics carries negative ion generators for a price similar to the
                                US based Electronic Goldmine:

                                http://oatleyelectronics.com/

                                I'm not sure on the cost of shipping from Australia to Europe or
                                England... but it may be more reasonable than buying from the US when
                                factoring in the mailing costs.

                                A quick glance at the specs of the Oatley generator shows it to be a
                                similar unit as the Electronic Goldmine piece.

                                On the Oatley site if you do a product search for "ion generator"
                                you'll find a pair of these units.

                                John
                                http://www.ztrains.com
                              • Melissa Cull
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 18, 2008
                                  Hello Andrew,

                                  You are on the list for the Grassinator.

                                  I've so far had 2 people interested in the MLC Troller slow speed
                                  controllers, will need more interest to run a small batch of those. Also
                                  need to know length of cable required if handheld.

                                  Kind RegardZ

                                  Melissa

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 30, 2008
                                    Hi,

                                    To those that showed a pre-order interest in having a grassinator only ready
                                    made (provide your own 12vdc PSU as shipping those is prohibative and PSU's
                                    are really expensive in the UK) I've now got all the parts together to make
                                    a dozen units and worked out how much they will cost to just cover parts and
                                    my own unit they work out at £30 sterling as I've had to import the negative
                                    ion generators from the USA via a third party as the company doesn't ship
                                    directly to the UK and the other parts are more expensive in the UK anyway.

                                    I'm not charging for labour as I just want to cover the cost of my own unit.
                                    If I make another batch that would be a different matter.

                                    As the Noch low voltage grassinator retails at £120 sterling and the mains
                                    powered one at £220 sterling £30 sterling is still a bargain.

                                    Postage will be at cost.

                                    Please will you confirm your definite orders offline thank you.

                                    Kind RegardZ

                                    Melissa
                                    UK