Re: Ztrains New Article: Static Grass Applicator

  • John Cubbin
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
      > Thank you on behalf of the electricaly challenged,
      > Loren

      Glad to write the article Loren and I hope to see a few of these get
      built, it really makes a difference... especially in close up camera
      shots.

      John
      http://www.ztrains.com
    • Don A
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
        Anyone want to build and sell one ?? ...or better yet how about
        renting one out. You only need it once or twice in a whole layout.

        ...don

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John Cubbin" <john_ztrains@...> wrote:

        > > Thank you on behalf of the electricaly challenged,
        > > Loren
        >

        > Glad to write the article Loren and I hope to see a few of these get
        > built, it really makes a difference... especially in close up camera
        > shots.
        >
        > John
        > http://www.ztrains.com

      • Jürg Rüedi
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 4, 2008
          Don, I think it does not make sense to rent something that has value
          of 35$ :-) BTW John, great step by step instructions!

          Sinerley
          Jürg

          http://www.rosetown.ch

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don A" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:

          > Anyone want to build and sell one ?? ...or better yet how about
          > renting one out. You only need it once or twice in a whole layout.
          >
          > ...don
          >

          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John Cubbin" <john_ztrains@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Thank you on behalf of the electricaly challenged,
          > > > Loren
          > >

          > > Glad to write the article Loren and I hope to see a few of these
          get
          > > built, it really makes a difference... especially in close up
          camera
          > > shots.
          > >
          > > John
          > > http://www.ztrains.com

        • Melissa Cull
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 4, 2008
            Hi John,

            Great article on the static grass applicator and it looks a doddle to build.

            I just need to find a UK supplier of the low voltage negative ion
            generator....

            Kind RegardZ

            Melissa Cull
            UK

            Hi,

            We've just posted our new "Grassinator" static grass applicator
            article up at Ztrains.com. We've set the article as a step-by-step
            build for beginners, as well as using simplified wiring diagrams for
            the more experienced users. It really is a neat little device.

            Enjoy this new article!

            John Cubbin
            Ztrains.com
            http://www.ztrains.com

          • John Cubbin
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 4, 2008
              > Hi John,
              >
              > Great article on the static grass applicator and it looks a doddle
              to build.

              > I just need to find a UK supplier of the low voltage negative ion
              > generator....
              >
              > Kind RegardZ
              >
              > Melissa Cull

              Hi Melissa,

              Glad you liked the article. If you do build one, just remember you
              need a high voltage generator. The one in the article produces 15kV
              volts. That sounds really strange I know, but it's a low amperage device.

              John
              http://www.ztrains.com
            • robertfage@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
                John a great item a great price and I liked the video.

                Is this not similar to the Noch item produced that does the same thing? It
                can be used on European voltage also. In the UK guagemaster sell it.

                _http://www.gaugemaster.co.uk/search_results.asp?OB=c_a&searchstring=n60130&an
                dor=View&searchtitle=Grass+Master&style=main#0_
                (http://www.gaugemaster.co.uk/search_results.asp?OB=c_a&searchstring=n60130&andor=View&searchtitle=Grass+Mas
                ter&style=main#0)

                Bob Fage (in the UK)

              • Alan Cox
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
                  On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 20:04:52 -0000
                  "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...> wrote:

                  > Hi John,
                  >
                  > Great article on the static grass applicator and it looks a doddle to build.
                  >
                  > I just need to find a UK supplier of the low voltage negative ion
                  > generator....

                  I believe Noch and Gaugemaster sell suitable built devices. Also remember
                  don't get 15kV static generators close to microcontrollers and the like!
                  15kV will make your grass stand on end but it will also make your DCC
                  chips very unhappy if they get any of it 8)
                • Melissa Cull
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
                    Hi John,

                    No not strange at all, I've built a mains powered ioniser a few years ago
                    which was a sealed unit when finished and worked in electronics industry for
                    many years with low voltage modules that would produce 50,000 volts low amps
                    to power mini flourescent tubes in computer flat screens - nice kick off
                    those if not careful, some of my colleagues used to use the tiny circuit to
                    make car security devices - touch the car and get zapped - dangerous but a
                    good deterrant for car thieves!

                    People with weak hearts, pacemakers should avoid working on these types of
                    circuits and also using them or the electronic fly swats - 50,000 volts low
                    amps but still have a warning.

                    Kind RegardZ

                    Melissa Cull
                    UK

                    Hi Melissa,

                    Glad you liked the article. If you do build one, just remember you
                    need a high voltage generator. The one in the article produces 15kV
                    volts. That sounds really strange I know, but it's a low amperage device.

                    John
                    http://www.ztrains.com

                  • Glen Chenier
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
                      What a great idea! Thanks for posting this.

                      On another topic, only one photo left in the Home Page Photos
                      folder. Need some more submissions pleeZe.

                    • robertfage@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 6, 2008
                        Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think the Noch at
                        £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.

                        Bob Fage (in the UK)

                      • Melissa Cull
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 8, 2008
                          Hi Bob,

                          Happy to make you one too if I can get the negative ion generator part in UK
                          reasonably, all other bits are available in UK. It's just as easy to make a
                          batch as it is one by the time all the tools are set out.

                          I used to make batches of electronic handheld / panel mount slow smooth
                          speed controllers for N, OO scales and a souped up one for O scale which
                          would crawl along at a lovely smooth snails pace with brass locos an lots of
                          wagons or brass coaches:-) Must make some for Z scale one day, I just need
                          to change an IC for the 8 volt max output.

                          The cheapest I've seen the Noch low voltage grassinator is £120 and the
                          original mains voltage was almost £200 - cringe:-(

                          Kind RegardZ

                          Melissa Cull
                          UK

                          Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think the Noch
                          at
                          £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.

                          Bob Fage (in the UK)

                        • Edward Scullin
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 8, 2008
                            Melissa
                            I would be interested in obtaining one of you speed controls if you ever decide to go into limited
                            production. I have both the Joerger and The snail speed controller. Am always interested in a
                            better mouse trap. I am in the US so would need either 110 Volt 60 hertz AC input or a DC input
                            from a wall wall wart.
                            Ed Scullin

                            --- Melissa Cull <melissa.cull@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Bob,
                            >
                            > Happy to make you one too if I can get the negative ion generator part in UK
                            > reasonably, all other bits are available in UK. It's just as easy to make a
                            > batch as it is one by the time all the tools are set out.
                            >
                            > I used to make batches of electronic handheld / panel mount slow smooth
                            > speed controllers for N, OO scales and a souped up one for O scale which
                            > would crawl along at a lovely smooth snails pace with brass locos an lots of
                            > wagons or brass coaches:-) Must make some for Z scale one day, I just need
                            > to change an IC for the 8 volt max output.
                            >
                            > The cheapest I've seen the Noch low voltage grassinator is £120 and the
                            > original mains voltage was almost £200 - cringe:-(
                            >
                            > Kind RegardZ
                            >
                            > Melissa Cull
                            > UK
                            >

                            > Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think the Noch
                            > at
                            > £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.
                            >
                            > Bob Fage (in the UK)

                          • Don A
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 8, 2008
                              Melissa:

                              If you are going into production, I would be interrested also.

                              Don -- OHIO, USA

                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

                              > Melissa
                              > I would be interested in obtaining one of you speed controls if you
                              ever decide to go into limited
                              > production. I have both the Joerger and The snail speed controller.
                              Am always interested in a
                              > better mouse trap. I am in the US so would need either 110 Volt 60
                              hertz AC input or a DC input
                              > from a wall wall wart.
                              > Ed Scullin
                              >

                              > --- Melissa Cull <melissa.cull@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Hi Bob,
                              > >
                              > > Happy to make you one too if I can get the negative ion generator
                              part in UK
                              > > reasonably, all other bits are available in UK. It's just as easy
                              to make a
                              > > batch as it is one by the time all the tools are set out.
                              > >
                              > > I used to make batches of electronic handheld / panel mount slow
                              smooth
                              > > speed controllers for N, OO scales and a souped up one for O scale
                              which
                              > > would crawl along at a lovely smooth snails pace with brass locos
                              an lots of
                              > > wagons or brass coaches:-) Must make some for Z scale one day, I
                              just need
                              > > to change an IC for the 8 volt max output.
                              > >
                              > > The cheapest I've seen the Noch low voltage grassinator is £120
                              and the
                              > > original mains voltage was almost £200 - cringe:-(
                              > >
                              > > Kind RegardZ
                              > >
                              > > Melissa Cull
                              > > UK
                              > >

                              > > Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think
                              the Noch
                              > > at
                              > > £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.
                              > >
                              > > Bob Fage (in the UK)

                            • Melissa Cull
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 9, 2008
                                Hi Ed,

                                The "MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller" actually runs on 9 - 16v AC / DC so
                                you can provide any mains step down plug in transformer unit you like.

                                However the current IC in the N / OO scale give 12v DC output at about
                                /2 - 1 amp and the O scale 12v DC at about 1 - 5 amps. Will have to dig out
                                the box of bits to give you exact output amps for those.

                                It works with coreless motors too as it doesn't use feedback, one of the
                                local model clubs runs both O scale coreless and old iron motors in brass
                                bodied locos and they run beautifully at huge exhibitions like Warley in the
                                UK.

                                For Z scale I only need to change one of the IC's to a lower 8 volt output
                                one, I think I've got enough of the other components left to build one or
                                two if you want one but it wouldn't take me long to gather the bits together
                                if I've not got them all in stock still.

                                The idea originated from spending a fortune on an N scale Gaugmaster
                                controller which ran like a bag of spanners which had more Jerk than Jerk
                                Chicken! So I thought I'm sure I can make something better than this myself
                                and this was how the "MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller" came about.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 9, 2008
                                  Hi Don,

                                  The Grassinator or MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller?

                                  If I can get enough orders for either together I would be happy to run off a
                                  small batch of 6 - 12 to see how they go.

                                  So far 3 people have shown an interest.

                                  Kind RegardZ

                                  Melissa Cull
                                  UK

                                  Melissa:

                                  If you are going into production, I would be interrested also.

                                  Don -- OHIO, USA

                                • Andrew Honeychurch
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 9, 2008
                                    Hello Melissa:

                                    I'd be interested in one of each.

                                    Thanks,

                                    Andrew Honeychurch
                                    US

                                    On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Melissa Cull <
                                    melissa.cull@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Don,
                                    >
                                    > The Grassinator or MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller?
                                    >
                                    > If I can get enough orders for either together I would be happy to run off
                                    > small batch of 6 - 12 to see how they go.
                                    >
                                    > So far 3 people have shown an interest.
                                    >
                                    > Kind RegardZ
                                    >
                                    > Melissa Cull
                                    > UK
                                    >
                                    > Melissa:
                                    >
                                    > If you are going into production, I would be interrested also.
                                    >
                                    > Don -- OHIO, USA

                                  • John Cubbin
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 10, 2008
                                      For those outside of the US, an outfit in Australia called Oatley
                                      Electronics carries negative ion generators for a price similar to the
                                      US based Electronic Goldmine:

                                      http://oatleyelectronics.com/

                                      I'm not sure on the cost of shipping from Australia to Europe or
                                      England... but it may be more reasonable than buying from the US when
                                      factoring in the mailing costs.

                                      A quick glance at the specs of the Oatley generator shows it to be a
                                      similar unit as the Electronic Goldmine piece.

                                      On the Oatley site if you do a product search for "ion generator"
                                      you'll find a pair of these units.

                                      John
                                      http://www.ztrains.com
                                    • Melissa Cull
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 18, 2008
                                        Hello Andrew,

                                        You are on the list for the Grassinator.

                                        I've so far had 2 people interested in the MLC Troller slow speed
                                        controllers, will need more interest to run a small batch of those. Also
                                        need to know length of cable required if handheld.

                                        Kind RegardZ

                                        Melissa

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 30, 2008
                                          Hi,

                                          To those that showed a pre-order interest in having a grassinator only ready
                                          made (provide your own 12vdc PSU as shipping those is prohibative and PSU's
                                          are really expensive in the UK) I've now got all the parts together to make
                                          a dozen units and worked out how much they will cost to just cover parts and
                                          my own unit they work out at £30 sterling as I've had to import the negative
                                          ion generators from the USA via a third party as the company doesn't ship
                                          directly to the UK and the other parts are more expensive in the UK anyway.

                                          I'm not charging for labour as I just want to cover the cost of my own unit.
                                          If I make another batch that would be a different matter.

                                          As the Noch low voltage grassinator retails at £120 sterling and the mains
                                          powered one at £220 sterling £30 sterling is still a bargain.

                                          Postage will be at cost.

                                          Please will you confirm your definite orders offline thank you.

                                          Kind RegardZ

                                          Melissa
                                          UK