Re: [Z_Scale] Ztrains New Article: Static Grass Applicator

  • Loren
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
      John,
      Excellent feature in every way regarding the Grassinator. Now this is model
      railroading helpful hints at its best.

      Thank you on behalf of the electricaly challenged,

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
        > Thank you on behalf of the electricaly challenged,
        > Loren

        Glad to write the article Loren and I hope to see a few of these get
        built, it really makes a difference... especially in close up camera
        shots.

        John
        http://www.ztrains.com
      • Don A
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 3, 2008
          Anyone want to build and sell one ?? ...or better yet how about
          renting one out. You only need it once or twice in a whole layout.

          ...don

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John Cubbin" <john_ztrains@...> wrote:

          > > Thank you on behalf of the electricaly challenged,
          > > Loren
          >

          > Glad to write the article Loren and I hope to see a few of these get
          > built, it really makes a difference... especially in close up camera
          > shots.
          >
          > John
          > http://www.ztrains.com

        • Jürg Rüedi
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 4, 2008
            Don, I think it does not make sense to rent something that has value
            of 35$ :-) BTW John, great step by step instructions!

            Sinerley
            Jürg

            http://www.rosetown.ch

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don A" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:

            > Anyone want to build and sell one ?? ...or better yet how about
            > renting one out. You only need it once or twice in a whole layout.
            >
            > ...don
            >

            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John Cubbin" <john_ztrains@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Thank you on behalf of the electricaly challenged,
            > > > Loren
            > >

            > > Glad to write the article Loren and I hope to see a few of these
            get
            > > built, it really makes a difference... especially in close up
            camera
            > > shots.
            > >
            > > John
            > > http://www.ztrains.com

          • Melissa Cull
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 4, 2008
              Hi John,

              Great article on the static grass applicator and it looks a doddle to build.

              I just need to find a UK supplier of the low voltage negative ion
              generator....

              Kind RegardZ

              Melissa Cull
              UK

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 4, 2008
                > Hi John,
                >
                > Great article on the static grass applicator and it looks a doddle
                to build.

                > I just need to find a UK supplier of the low voltage negative ion
                > generator....
                >
                > Kind RegardZ
                >
                > Melissa Cull

                Hi Melissa,

                Glad you liked the article. If you do build one, just remember you
                need a high voltage generator. The one in the article produces 15kV
                volts. That sounds really strange I know, but it's a low amperage device.

                John
                http://www.ztrains.com
              • robertfage@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
                  John a great item a great price and I liked the video.

                  Is this not similar to the Noch item produced that does the same thing? It
                  can be used on European voltage also. In the UK guagemaster sell it.

                  _http://www.gaugemaster.co.uk/search_results.asp?OB=c_a&searchstring=n60130&an
                  dor=View&searchtitle=Grass+Master&style=main#0_
                  (http://www.gaugemaster.co.uk/search_results.asp?OB=c_a&searchstring=n60130&andor=View&searchtitle=Grass+Mas
                  ter&style=main#0)

                  Bob Fage (in the UK)

                • Alan Cox
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
                    On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 20:04:52 -0000
                    "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...> wrote:

                    > Hi John,
                    >
                    > Great article on the static grass applicator and it looks a doddle to build.
                    >
                    > I just need to find a UK supplier of the low voltage negative ion
                    > generator....

                    I believe Noch and Gaugemaster sell suitable built devices. Also remember
                    don't get 15kV static generators close to microcontrollers and the like!
                    15kV will make your grass stand on end but it will also make your DCC
                    chips very unhappy if they get any of it 8)
                  • Melissa Cull
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
                      Hi John,

                      No not strange at all, I've built a mains powered ioniser a few years ago
                      which was a sealed unit when finished and worked in electronics industry for
                      many years with low voltage modules that would produce 50,000 volts low amps
                      to power mini flourescent tubes in computer flat screens - nice kick off
                      those if not careful, some of my colleagues used to use the tiny circuit to
                      make car security devices - touch the car and get zapped - dangerous but a
                      good deterrant for car thieves!

                      People with weak hearts, pacemakers should avoid working on these types of
                      circuits and also using them or the electronic fly swats - 50,000 volts low
                      amps but still have a warning.

                      Kind RegardZ

                      Melissa Cull
                      UK

                      Hi Melissa,

                      Glad you liked the article. If you do build one, just remember you
                      need a high voltage generator. The one in the article produces 15kV
                      volts. That sounds really strange I know, but it's a low amperage device.

                      John
                      http://www.ztrains.com

                    • Glen Chenier
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 5, 2008
                        What a great idea! Thanks for posting this.

                        On another topic, only one photo left in the Home Page Photos
                        folder. Need some more submissions pleeZe.

                      • robertfage@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 6, 2008
                          Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think the Noch at
                          £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.

                          Bob Fage (in the UK)

                        • Melissa Cull
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 8, 2008
                            Hi Bob,

                            Happy to make you one too if I can get the negative ion generator part in UK
                            reasonably, all other bits are available in UK. It's just as easy to make a
                            batch as it is one by the time all the tools are set out.

                            I used to make batches of electronic handheld / panel mount slow smooth
                            speed controllers for N, OO scales and a souped up one for O scale which
                            would crawl along at a lovely smooth snails pace with brass locos an lots of
                            wagons or brass coaches:-) Must make some for Z scale one day, I just need
                            to change an IC for the 8 volt max output.

                            The cheapest I've seen the Noch low voltage grassinator is £120 and the
                            original mains voltage was almost £200 - cringe:-(

                            Kind RegardZ

                            Melissa Cull
                            UK

                            Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think the Noch
                            at
                            £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.

                            Bob Fage (in the UK)

                          • Edward Scullin
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 8, 2008
                              Melissa
                              I would be interested in obtaining one of you speed controls if you ever decide to go into limited
                              production. I have both the Joerger and The snail speed controller. Am always interested in a
                              better mouse trap. I am in the US so would need either 110 Volt 60 hertz AC input or a DC input
                              from a wall wall wart.
                              Ed Scullin

                              --- Melissa Cull <melissa.cull@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Bob,
                              >
                              > Happy to make you one too if I can get the negative ion generator part in UK
                              > reasonably, all other bits are available in UK. It's just as easy to make a
                              > batch as it is one by the time all the tools are set out.
                              >
                              > I used to make batches of electronic handheld / panel mount slow smooth
                              > speed controllers for N, OO scales and a souped up one for O scale which
                              > would crawl along at a lovely smooth snails pace with brass locos an lots of
                              > wagons or brass coaches:-) Must make some for Z scale one day, I just need
                              > to change an IC for the 8 volt max output.
                              >
                              > The cheapest I've seen the Noch low voltage grassinator is £120 and the
                              > original mains voltage was almost £200 - cringe:-(
                              >
                              > Kind RegardZ
                              >
                              > Melissa Cull
                              > UK
                              >

                              > Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think the Noch
                              > at
                              > £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.
                              >
                              > Bob Fage (in the UK)

                            • Don A
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 8, 2008
                                Melissa:

                                If you are going into production, I would be interrested also.

                                Don -- OHIO, USA

                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

                                > Melissa
                                > I would be interested in obtaining one of you speed controls if you
                                ever decide to go into limited
                                > production. I have both the Joerger and The snail speed controller.
                                Am always interested in a
                                > better mouse trap. I am in the US so would need either 110 Volt 60
                                hertz AC input or a DC input
                                > from a wall wall wart.
                                > Ed Scullin
                                >

                                > --- Melissa Cull <melissa.cull@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Hi Bob,
                                > >
                                > > Happy to make you one too if I can get the negative ion generator
                                part in UK
                                > > reasonably, all other bits are available in UK. It's just as easy
                                to make a
                                > > batch as it is one by the time all the tools are set out.
                                > >
                                > > I used to make batches of electronic handheld / panel mount slow
                                smooth
                                > > speed controllers for N, OO scales and a souped up one for O scale
                                which
                                > > would crawl along at a lovely smooth snails pace with brass locos
                                an lots of
                                > > wagons or brass coaches:-) Must make some for Z scale one day, I
                                just need
                                > > to change an IC for the 8 volt max output.
                                > >
                                > > The cheapest I've seen the Noch low voltage grassinator is £120
                                and the
                                > > original mains voltage was almost £200 - cringe:-(
                                > >
                                > > Kind RegardZ
                                > >
                                > > Melissa Cull
                                > > UK
                                > >

                                > > Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think
                                the Noch
                                > > at
                                > > £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.
                                > >
                                > > Bob Fage (in the UK)

                              • Melissa Cull
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 9, 2008
                                  Hi Ed,

                                  The "MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller" actually runs on 9 - 16v AC / DC so
                                  you can provide any mains step down plug in transformer unit you like.

                                  However the current IC in the N / OO scale give 12v DC output at about
                                  /2 - 1 amp and the O scale 12v DC at about 1 - 5 amps. Will have to dig out
                                  the box of bits to give you exact output amps for those.

                                  It works with coreless motors too as it doesn't use feedback, one of the
                                  local model clubs runs both O scale coreless and old iron motors in brass
                                  bodied locos and they run beautifully at huge exhibitions like Warley in the
                                  UK.

                                  For Z scale I only need to change one of the IC's to a lower 8 volt output
                                  one, I think I've got enough of the other components left to build one or
                                  two if you want one but it wouldn't take me long to gather the bits together
                                  if I've not got them all in stock still.

                                  The idea originated from spending a fortune on an N scale Gaugmaster
                                  controller which ran like a bag of spanners which had more Jerk than Jerk
                                  Chicken! So I thought I'm sure I can make something better than this myself
                                  and this was how the "MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller" came about.

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 9, 2008
                                    Hi Don,

                                    The Grassinator or MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller?

                                    If I can get enough orders for either together I would be happy to run off a
                                    small batch of 6 - 12 to see how they go.

                                    So far 3 people have shown an interest.

                                    Kind RegardZ

                                    Melissa Cull
                                    UK

                                    Melissa:

                                    If you are going into production, I would be interrested also.

                                    Don -- OHIO, USA

                                  • Andrew Honeychurch
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 9, 2008
                                      Hello Melissa:

                                      I'd be interested in one of each.

                                      Thanks,

                                      Andrew Honeychurch
                                      US

                                      On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Melissa Cull <
                                      melissa.cull@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Don,
                                      >
                                      > The Grassinator or MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller?
                                      >
                                      > If I can get enough orders for either together I would be happy to run off
                                      > small batch of 6 - 12 to see how they go.
                                      >
                                      > So far 3 people have shown an interest.
                                      >
                                      > Kind RegardZ
                                      >
                                      > Melissa Cull
                                      > UK
                                      >
                                      > Melissa:
                                      >
                                      > If you are going into production, I would be interrested also.
                                      >
                                      > Don -- OHIO, USA

                                    • John Cubbin
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 10, 2008
                                        For those outside of the US, an outfit in Australia called Oatley
                                        Electronics carries negative ion generators for a price similar to the
                                        US based Electronic Goldmine:

                                        http://oatleyelectronics.com/

                                        I'm not sure on the cost of shipping from Australia to Europe or
                                        England... but it may be more reasonable than buying from the US when
                                        factoring in the mailing costs.

                                        A quick glance at the specs of the Oatley generator shows it to be a
                                        similar unit as the Electronic Goldmine piece.

                                        On the Oatley site if you do a product search for "ion generator"
                                        you'll find a pair of these units.

                                        John
                                        http://www.ztrains.com
                                      • Melissa Cull
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 18, 2008
                                          Hello Andrew,

                                          You are on the list for the Grassinator.

                                          I've so far had 2 people interested in the MLC Troller slow speed
                                          controllers, will need more interest to run a small batch of those. Also
                                          need to know length of cable required if handheld.

                                          Kind RegardZ

                                          Melissa

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 30, 2008
                                            Hi,

                                            To those that showed a pre-order interest in having a grassinator only ready
                                            made (provide your own 12vdc PSU as shipping those is prohibative and PSU's
                                            are really expensive in the UK) I've now got all the parts together to make
                                            a dozen units and worked out how much they will cost to just cover parts and
                                            my own unit they work out at £30 sterling as I've had to import the negative
                                            ion generators from the USA via a third party as the company doesn't ship
                                            directly to the UK and the other parts are more expensive in the UK anyway.

                                            I'm not charging for labour as I just want to cover the cost of my own unit.
                                            If I make another batch that would be a different matter.

                                            As the Noch low voltage grassinator retails at £120 sterling and the mains
                                            powered one at £220 sterling £30 sterling is still a bargain.

                                            Postage will be at cost.

                                            Please will you confirm your definite orders offline thank you.

                                            Kind RegardZ

                                            Melissa
                                            UK