Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Turnout Derailment

  • Uwe Liermann
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
      Hello Alex,

      > Garth,

      Ok.. I'm not Garth, but I bought a tool for this too:

      > Can you post a photo of this "back to back gauge"?
      > Is this some thing easy to make?

      here's a picture of one version of this tool:

      http://www.1zu220-modelle.de/20_1.htm

      the start page is here:

      http://www.1zu220-modelle.de

      --
      GreetingZ
      Uwe
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
        Hi Alex;

        Here is a link to the Micro Trains site and a picture of the part.

        <http://www.micro-trains.com/tools_height_gauge.php>

        IF there is no link then copy paste into your browser window.

        cheers
        Garth

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <butasama@...> wrote:

        > Garth,
        >
        > Can you post a photo of this "back to back gauge"?
        > Is this some thing easy to make?
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Alex
        > Tokyo, Japan
        > TechRepL1011
        >
        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Garth Hamilton" <garthah@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Some of us have a back to back gauge made
        > > of brass or aluminum that looks something like a horseshoe which
        we
        > > can slide between the two wheels on an axle to set them for the
        > > correct back to back distance.
        > >
        > > Garth

      • David George
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
          Andy,
          Welcome to our Z World.
          Colorado is one of my interests also.
          Take a look at my web site for a few pictures of the "Royal George Gorge" on the "Golden ~ Blackhawk & Central city R.R."

          http://misterdavezscale.blogspot.com

          At last photo ,in first scheme ,click on "older posts" for more photos.

          Good luck in your modeling endeavors.
          Cordially,
          Mister Dave
          "G ~ & C C"
          Spring , Tx.
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 4, 2008
            Hi Dave,

            Thanks for the kind words and offer. I chose the Royal Gorge area
            because of the railroad war. It gave me an excuse to run Santa Fe and
            D&GRW trains together. Although I have never been there, I feel I know
            every mile of track between Canon City and Pueblo. I have used Google
            Earth many times to run the route.

            Andy Poulo

            On Mar 3, 2008, at 8:31 AM, pinekirk wrote:

            > hello andy,
            > i like your layout. if you want any info or pictures (as available)
            > from the area, drop me a line. it's always good to see modelers
            > focusing in on colorado routes.
            > dave f.
            > canon city, co

          • Jeff BAZ-man
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 4, 2008
              You can also use the NMRA Nn3 gauge. This stainless steel sheet has
              2 fine pins for gaurd rails or just inside the rails or wheel
              flanges. For the life of me, I can't find a supplier of the NMRA
              gage. Searched every combination of the names and cannot find one
              that has it. Thought I got mine from Walthers, Nn3.org or RLW.

              Jeff
              SF Bay Area Z

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Poulo <apoulo@...> wrote:

              > Hi Dave,
              >
              > Thanks for the kind words and offer. I chose the Royal Gorge area
              > because of the railroad war. It gave me an excuse to run Santa Fe
              and
              > D&GRW trains together. Although I have never been there, I feel I
              know
              > every mile of track between Canon City and Pueblo. I have used
              Google
              > Earth many times to run the route.
              >
              > Andy Poulo
              >

              > On Mar 3, 2008, at 8:31 AM, pinekirk wrote:
              >
              > > hello andy,
              > > i like your layout. if you want any info or pictures (as
              available)
              > > from the area, drop me a line. it's always good to see modelers
              > > focusing in on colorado routes.
              > > dave f.
              > > canon city, co

            • stonysmith
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 4, 2008
                Over at Fast Tracks is a wonderful video with 3D cad animation that
                explains how turnouts operate, and what measurements are critical
                for smooth operation. The video is a bit long, but after watching
                it, I figured out exactly what was going wrong with one of my
                turnouts.

                http://www.handlaidtrack.com/nmra-online.php