Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Turnout Derailment

  • Andrew Poulo
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
      Hi Garth and Dan,

      Thanks for the advice and additional explanations. You guys were right
      on with your diagnosis. Now all I have to do is set up some kind of
      assembly line to adjust and paint (I dislike the silver) all the
      Marklin wheels. I followed your advise and ordered a MTL Gauge from the
      internet, and will start as soon as it arrives.

      I just posted some photos of the first phase of my layout. The album is
      called Royal Gorge Line. I'm building it on a two foot shelf which runs
      around three sides of an 8' x 10' garden shed. The photos are of the
      first 2' x 8' section. Two other sections will depict Florence and
      Pueblo Colorado.

      Once again, thanks for the advice.

      Andy Poulo
    • pinekirk
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
        hello andy,
        i like your layout. if you want any info or pictures (as available)
        from the area, drop me a line. it's always good to see modelers
        focusing in on colorado routes.
        dave f.
        canon city, co

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Poulo <apoulo@...> wrote:

        > Hi Garth and Dan,
        >
        > Thanks for the advice and additional explanations. You guys were
        right
        > on with your diagnosis. Now all I have to do is set up some kind of
        > assembly line to adjust and paint (I dislike the silver) all the
        > Marklin wheels. I followed your advise and ordered a MTL Gauge from
        the
        > internet, and will start as soon as it arrives.
        >
        > I just posted some photos of the first phase of my layout. The
        album is
        > called Royal Gorge Line. I'm building it on a two foot shelf which
        runs
        > around three sides of an 8' x 10' garden shed. The photos are of
        the
        > first 2' x 8' section. Two other sections will depict Florence and
        > Pueblo Colorado.
        >
        > Once again, thanks for the advice.
        >
        > Andy Poulo

      • Uwe Liermann
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
          Hello Alex,

          > Garth,

          Ok.. I'm not Garth, but I bought a tool for this too:

          > Can you post a photo of this "back to back gauge"?
          > Is this some thing easy to make?

          here's a picture of one version of this tool:

          http://www.1zu220-modelle.de/20_1.htm

          the start page is here:

          http://www.1zu220-modelle.de

          --
          GreetingZ
          Uwe
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
            Hi Alex;

            Here is a link to the Micro Trains site and a picture of the part.

            <http://www.micro-trains.com/tools_height_gauge.php>

            IF there is no link then copy paste into your browser window.

            cheers
            Garth

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <butasama@...> wrote:

            > Garth,
            >
            > Can you post a photo of this "back to back gauge"?
            > Is this some thing easy to make?
            >
            > Thank you,
            > Alex
            > Tokyo, Japan
            > TechRepL1011
            >
            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Garth Hamilton" <garthah@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Some of us have a back to back gauge made
            > > of brass or aluminum that looks something like a horseshoe which
            we
            > > can slide between the two wheels on an axle to set them for the
            > > correct back to back distance.
            > >
            > > Garth

          • David George
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
              Andy,
              Welcome to our Z World.
              Colorado is one of my interests also.
              Take a look at my web site for a few pictures of the "Royal George Gorge" on the "Golden ~ Blackhawk & Central city R.R."

              http://misterdavezscale.blogspot.com

              At last photo ,in first scheme ,click on "older posts" for more photos.

              Good luck in your modeling endeavors.
              Cordially,
              Mister Dave
              "G ~ & C C"
              Spring , Tx.

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 4, 2008
                Hi Dave,

                Thanks for the kind words and offer. I chose the Royal Gorge area
                because of the railroad war. It gave me an excuse to run Santa Fe and
                D&GRW trains together. Although I have never been there, I feel I know
                every mile of track between Canon City and Pueblo. I have used Google
                Earth many times to run the route.

                Andy Poulo

                On Mar 3, 2008, at 8:31 AM, pinekirk wrote:

                > hello andy,
                > i like your layout. if you want any info or pictures (as available)
                > from the area, drop me a line. it's always good to see modelers
                > focusing in on colorado routes.
                > dave f.
                > canon city, co

              • Jeff BAZ-man
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 4, 2008
                  You can also use the NMRA Nn3 gauge. This stainless steel sheet has
                  2 fine pins for gaurd rails or just inside the rails or wheel
                  flanges. For the life of me, I can't find a supplier of the NMRA
                  gage. Searched every combination of the names and cannot find one
                  that has it. Thought I got mine from Walthers, Nn3.org or RLW.

                  Jeff
                  SF Bay Area Z

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Poulo <apoulo@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Dave,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the kind words and offer. I chose the Royal Gorge area
                  > because of the railroad war. It gave me an excuse to run Santa Fe
                  and
                  > D&GRW trains together. Although I have never been there, I feel I
                  know
                  > every mile of track between Canon City and Pueblo. I have used
                  Google
                  > Earth many times to run the route.
                  >
                  > Andy Poulo
                  >

                  > On Mar 3, 2008, at 8:31 AM, pinekirk wrote:
                  >
                  > > hello andy,
                  > > i like your layout. if you want any info or pictures (as
                  available)
                  > > from the area, drop me a line. it's always good to see modelers
                  > > focusing in on colorado routes.
                  > > dave f.
                  > > canon city, co

                • stonysmith
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 4, 2008
                    Over at Fast Tracks is a wonderful video with 3D cad animation that
                    explains how turnouts operate, and what measurements are critical
                    for smooth operation. The video is a bit long, but after watching
                    it, I figured out exactly what was going wrong with one of my
                    turnouts.

                    http://www.handlaidtrack.com/nmra-online.php