Re: Turnout Derailment

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
      Garth,

      Can you post a photo of this "back to back gauge"?
      Is this some thing easy to make?

      Thank you,
      Alex
      Tokyo, Japan
      TechRepL1011

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Garth Hamilton" <garthah@...> wrote:

      > Some of us have a back to back gauge made
      > of brass or aluminum that looks something like a horseshoe which we
      > can slide between the two wheels on an axle to set them for the
      > correct back to back distance.
      >
      > Garth
    • Andrew Poulo
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
        Hi Garth and Dan,

        Thanks for the advice and additional explanations. You guys were right
        on with your diagnosis. Now all I have to do is set up some kind of
        assembly line to adjust and paint (I dislike the silver) all the
        Marklin wheels. I followed your advise and ordered a MTL Gauge from the
        internet, and will start as soon as it arrives.

        I just posted some photos of the first phase of my layout. The album is
        called Royal Gorge Line. I'm building it on a two foot shelf which runs
        around three sides of an 8' x 10' garden shed. The photos are of the
        first 2' x 8' section. Two other sections will depict Florence and
        Pueblo Colorado.

        Once again, thanks for the advice.

        Andy Poulo
      • pinekirk
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
          hello andy,
          i like your layout. if you want any info or pictures (as available)
          from the area, drop me a line. it's always good to see modelers
          focusing in on colorado routes.
          dave f.
          canon city, co

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Poulo <apoulo@...> wrote:

          > Hi Garth and Dan,
          >
          > Thanks for the advice and additional explanations. You guys were
          right
          > on with your diagnosis. Now all I have to do is set up some kind of
          > assembly line to adjust and paint (I dislike the silver) all the
          > Marklin wheels. I followed your advise and ordered a MTL Gauge from
          the
          > internet, and will start as soon as it arrives.
          >
          > I just posted some photos of the first phase of my layout. The
          album is
          > called Royal Gorge Line. I'm building it on a two foot shelf which
          runs
          > around three sides of an 8' x 10' garden shed. The photos are of
          the
          > first 2' x 8' section. Two other sections will depict Florence and
          > Pueblo Colorado.
          >
          > Once again, thanks for the advice.
          >
          > Andy Poulo

        • Uwe Liermann
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
            Hello Alex,

            > Garth,

            Ok.. I'm not Garth, but I bought a tool for this too:

            > Can you post a photo of this "back to back gauge"?
            > Is this some thing easy to make?

            here's a picture of one version of this tool:

            http://www.1zu220-modelle.de/20_1.htm

            the start page is here:

            http://www.1zu220-modelle.de

            --
            GreetingZ
            Uwe
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
              Hi Alex;

              Here is a link to the Micro Trains site and a picture of the part.

              <http://www.micro-trains.com/tools_height_gauge.php>

              IF there is no link then copy paste into your browser window.

              cheers
              Garth

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <butasama@...> wrote:

              > Garth,
              >
              > Can you post a photo of this "back to back gauge"?
              > Is this some thing easy to make?
              >
              > Thank you,
              > Alex
              > Tokyo, Japan
              > TechRepL1011
              >
              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Garth Hamilton" <garthah@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Some of us have a back to back gauge made
              > > of brass or aluminum that looks something like a horseshoe which
              we
              > > can slide between the two wheels on an axle to set them for the
              > > correct back to back distance.
              > >
              > > Garth

            • David George
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
                Andy,
                Welcome to our Z World.
                Colorado is one of my interests also.
                Take a look at my web site for a few pictures of the "Royal George Gorge" on the "Golden ~ Blackhawk & Central city R.R."

                http://misterdavezscale.blogspot.com

                At last photo ,in first scheme ,click on "older posts" for more photos.

                Good luck in your modeling endeavors.
                Cordially,
                Mister Dave
                "G ~ & C C"
                Spring , Tx.

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 4, 2008
                  Hi Dave,

                  Thanks for the kind words and offer. I chose the Royal Gorge area
                  because of the railroad war. It gave me an excuse to run Santa Fe and
                  D&GRW trains together. Although I have never been there, I feel I know
                  every mile of track between Canon City and Pueblo. I have used Google
                  Earth many times to run the route.

                  Andy Poulo

                  On Mar 3, 2008, at 8:31 AM, pinekirk wrote:

                  > hello andy,
                  > i like your layout. if you want any info or pictures (as available)
                  > from the area, drop me a line. it's always good to see modelers
                  > focusing in on colorado routes.
                  > dave f.
                  > canon city, co

                • Jeff BAZ-man
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 4, 2008
                    You can also use the NMRA Nn3 gauge. This stainless steel sheet has
                    2 fine pins for gaurd rails or just inside the rails or wheel
                    flanges. For the life of me, I can't find a supplier of the NMRA
                    gage. Searched every combination of the names and cannot find one
                    that has it. Thought I got mine from Walthers, Nn3.org or RLW.

                    Jeff
                    SF Bay Area Z

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Poulo <apoulo@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Dave,
                    >
                    > Thanks for the kind words and offer. I chose the Royal Gorge area
                    > because of the railroad war. It gave me an excuse to run Santa Fe
                    and
                    > D&GRW trains together. Although I have never been there, I feel I
                    know
                    > every mile of track between Canon City and Pueblo. I have used
                    Google
                    > Earth many times to run the route.
                    >
                    > Andy Poulo
                    >

                    > On Mar 3, 2008, at 8:31 AM, pinekirk wrote:
                    >
                    > > hello andy,
                    > > i like your layout. if you want any info or pictures (as
                    available)
                    > > from the area, drop me a line. it's always good to see modelers
                    > > focusing in on colorado routes.
                    > > dave f.
                    > > canon city, co

                  • stonysmith
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 4, 2008
                      Over at Fast Tracks is a wonderful video with 3D cad animation that
                      explains how turnouts operate, and what measurements are critical
                      for smooth operation. The video is a bit long, but after watching
                      it, I figured out exactly what was going wrong with one of my
                      turnouts.

                      http://www.handlaidtrack.com/nmra-online.php