It's Track Vacuuming Time again

  • Glen Chenier
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2008
      Have just finished picking an amazing amount of dust and lint from
      the trucks of an MTL F7 with tweezers, very similar to the GP35 truck
      dust bunnies collection posted in Photos a few months ago. Still have
      to dis-assemble the trucks and finish cleaning out the axles and
      gears.

      Time for another reminder - vacuum your tracks regularly! Use the
      small nozzle available in PC keyboard cleaning attachments.

      We cannot see the dust that accumulates on trackwork, and the usual
      railtop wipe with alcohol and Wahl oil cleans only the railtops. The
      invisible dust remains on the ballast between the rails, and gets
      sucked into the locomotives and buffers up the gearing. Not so much
      of a problem in larger scales, but in Z scale the locomotive
      undersides are much closer to the dusty ballast. Better to use a
      vacuum cleaner than locomotives to remove the dust.

      Especially for modular, prior to trainshows vacuuming the dust off
      the trackwork is a courtesy to fellow modellers whose locomotives
      will be running across each module. It takes only one dusty module
      to contaminate everyone's locos. There are enough things that go
      wrong with locos without adding preventable dust contamination.
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2008
        I do confirm all what Glen advises us here: myself I
        already burnt 2 locos (aC44-9 and a SD70), and almost
        burnt a third one (a GP35) with loose stuff in the
        gears...It has been quite expensive to fix them. So
        now I'm very careful with tracks that are cleaned.
        <wink>

        Dom

        --- Glen Chenier <glen@...> a
        écrit :

        > Have just finished picking an amazing amount of dust
        > and lint from
        > the trucks of an MTL F7 with tweezers, very similar
        > to the GP35 truck
        > dust bunnies collection posted in Photos a few
        > months ago. Still have
        > to dis-assemble the trucks and finish cleaning out
        > the axles and
        > gears.
        >
        > Time for another reminder - vacuum your tracks
        > regularly! Use the
        > small nozzle available in PC keyboard cleaning
        > attachments.
        >
        > We cannot see the dust that accumulates on
        > trackwork, and the usual
        > railtop wipe with alcohol and Wahl oil cleans only
        > the railtops. The
        > invisible dust remains on the ballast between the
        > rails, and gets
        > sucked into the locomotives and buffers up the
        > gearing. Not so much
        > of a problem in larger scales, but in Z scale the
        > locomotive
        > undersides are much closer to the dusty ballast.
        > Better to use a
        > vacuum cleaner than locomotives to remove the dust.
        >
        > Especially for modular, prior to trainshows
        > vacuuming the dust off
        > the trackwork is a courtesy to fellow modellers
        > whose locomotives
        > will be running across each module. It takes only
        > one dusty module
        > to contaminate everyone's locos. There are enough
        > things that go
        > wrong with locos without adding preventable dust
        > contamination.

      • Bruce Wolff
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2008
          > --- Glen Chenier <glen@...> a
          > écrit :
          >
          > > Time for another reminder - vacuum your tracks
          > > regularly! Use the
          > > small nozzle available in PC keyboard cleaning
          > > attachments.

          Et maintenant Bruce Wolff écrit:

          Here's another way of keeping your locos clean. In a local shopping
          mall, a new slot-car racing business just opened. Curious, I poked
          my head in and watched a couple races. After each race, I saw
          something mindboggling: Each racer picked up his or her car and
          cleaned its bottom with a lint roller! After a few swipes with the
          lint roller, they put the cars back on the track and prepared for the
          next race.

          Has anyone ever tried this on model railroading equipment? I'd be
          curious to learn how well it works.

          Regards,
          Bruce
          Détroit, USA
        • altacrest
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2008
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <glen@...> wrote:
            > Time for another reminder - vacuum your tracks regularly! Use the
            > small nozzle available in PC keyboard cleaning attachments.

            I use a MINIATURE VACUUM KIT from >http://www.micromark.com/< item
            #81064. It attaches to a garage or cannister vac hose and works great!

            Gudi Molinari
            Las Vegas, NV
            Z-Gauge URL: http://hometown.aol.com/altacrest/zgauge.htm
          • Jeff BAZ-man
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 6, 2008
              I am sure they were not picking up lint but more for putting sticky
              on the wheels. The rollers will not get any of the lint out of the
              loco trucks as they get way up in there, behind the wheels.

              Jeff
              SF Bay Area Z

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Wolff" <brucewolff@...> wrote:

              > > --- Glen Chenier <glen@> a
              > > écrit :
              > >
              > > > Time for another reminder - vacuum your tracks
              > > > regularly! Use the
              > > > small nozzle available in PC keyboard cleaning
              > > > attachments.
              > > >

              > Et maintenant Bruce Wolff écrit:
              >
              > Here's another way of keeping your locos clean. In a local
              shopping
              > mall, a new slot-car racing business just opened. Curious, I
              poked
              > my head in and watched a couple races. After each race, I saw
              > something mindboggling: Each racer picked up his or her car and
              > cleaned its bottom with a lint roller! After a few swipes with
              the
              > lint roller, they put the cars back on the track and prepared for
              the
              > next race.
              >
              > Has anyone ever tried this on model railroading equipment? I'd be
              > curious to learn how well it works.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Bruce
              > Détroit, USA

            • Jeff BAZ-man
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 6, 2008
                You mean this one:
                http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?
                MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=81064

                or the stand alone one:
                http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?
                MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=14113

                Jeff
                SF Bay Area Z

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 8, 2008

                  Not the stand alone, the MINIATURE VACUUM KIT - >http://www.ares-
                  server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?
                  MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=81064<
                  "Miniature attachments include adapter, straight extension, curved
                  extension, oval brush, round brush, crevice tool and 36 inch long x
                  1/2 inch diameter hose. Use with any standard size vacuum cleaner with
                  1-1/4 inch fittings."

                  Gudi Molinari
                  Las Vegas, NV