Whistle Signals (Prototype info - no Z content)

  • Bruce Wolff
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2008
      I believe the CROR is based on the older, American "Uniform Code of
      Operating Rules", or UCOR. I recall seeing the numerous whistle
      signals described in John LaRue's posting, each with its own
      paragraph letter, under Rule 14 in what was probably the UCOR. If
      you look at the CROR at the URL below, you will notice many letters
      missing (eg. c, g, h, i, j, k...). These are probably some of John's
      whistle signals that had become obsolete by the time the CROR was
      implemented.

      On a related note, I was once driving a Greyhound Canada bus down BC
      Highway 97A when the engineer of an oncoming Okanagan Valley Railway
      locomotive cut his ditchlights and dimmed his headlight. At the time
      I thought he was being courteous. Now I see that he was obeying Rule
      17(b)(iii).

      Regards,
      Bruce
      Detroit, USA