Ztrains New Article: Static Grass Applicator

  • John Cubbin
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1 4:35 PM
      Hi,

      We've just posted our new "Grassinator" static grass applicator
      article up at Ztrains.com. We've set the article as a step-by-step
      build for beginners, as well as using simplified wiring diagrams for
      the more experienced users. It really is a neat little device.

      Enjoy this new article!

      John Cubbin
      Ztrains.com
      http://www.ztrains.com
    • Loren
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 3 10:50 AM
        John,
        Excellent feature in every way regarding the Grassinator. Now this is model
        railroading helpful hints at its best.

        Thank you on behalf of the electricaly challenged,

        > We've just posted our new "Grassinator" static grass applicator
        > article up at Ztrains.com. We've set the article as a step-by-step
        > build for beginners, as well as using simplified wiring diagrams for
        > the more experienced users. It really is a neat little device.
        >
        > Enjoy this new article!
        >
        > John Cubbin
        > Ztrains.com
        > http://www.ztrains.com
      • John Cubbin
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 3 1:14 PM
          > Thank you on behalf of the electricaly challenged,
          > Loren

          Glad to write the article Loren and I hope to see a few of these get
          built, it really makes a difference... especially in close up camera
          shots.

          John
          http://www.ztrains.com
        • Don A
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 3 1:35 PM
            Anyone want to build and sell one ?? ...or better yet how about
            renting one out. You only need it once or twice in a whole layout.

            ...don

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John Cubbin" <john_ztrains@...> wrote:

            > > Thank you on behalf of the electricaly challenged,
            > > Loren
            >

            > Glad to write the article Loren and I hope to see a few of these get
            > built, it really makes a difference... especially in close up camera
            > shots.
            >
            > John
            > http://www.ztrains.com

          • Jürg Rüedi
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 4 12:23 AM
              Don, I think it does not make sense to rent something that has value
              of 35$ :-) BTW John, great step by step instructions!

              Sinerley
              Jürg

              http://www.rosetown.ch

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don A" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:

              > Anyone want to build and sell one ?? ...or better yet how about
              > renting one out. You only need it once or twice in a whole layout.
              >
              > ...don
              >

              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John Cubbin" <john_ztrains@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Thank you on behalf of the electricaly challenged,
              > > > Loren
              > >

              > > Glad to write the article Loren and I hope to see a few of these
              get
              > > built, it really makes a difference... especially in close up
              camera
              > > shots.
              > >
              > > John
              > > http://www.ztrains.com

            • Melissa Cull
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 4 12:04 PM
                Hi John,

                Great article on the static grass applicator and it looks a doddle to build.

                I just need to find a UK supplier of the low voltage negative ion
                generator....

                Kind RegardZ

                Melissa Cull
                UK

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 4 9:36 PM
                  > Hi John,
                  >
                  > Great article on the static grass applicator and it looks a doddle
                  to build.

                  > I just need to find a UK supplier of the low voltage negative ion
                  > generator....
                  >
                  > Kind RegardZ
                  >
                  > Melissa Cull

                  Hi Melissa,

                  Glad you liked the article. If you do build one, just remember you
                  need a high voltage generator. The one in the article produces 15kV
                  volts. That sounds really strange I know, but it's a low amperage device.

                  John
                  http://www.ztrains.com
                • robertfage@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 5 2:03 AM
                    John a great item a great price and I liked the video.

                    Is this not similar to the Noch item produced that does the same thing? It
                    can be used on European voltage also. In the UK guagemaster sell it.

                    _http://www.gaugemaster.co.uk/search_results.asp?OB=c_a&searchstring=n60130&an
                    dor=View&searchtitle=Grass+Master&style=main#0_
                    (http://www.gaugemaster.co.uk/search_results.asp?OB=c_a&searchstring=n60130&andor=View&searchtitle=Grass+Mas
                    ter&style=main#0)

                    Bob Fage (in the UK)

                  • Alan Cox
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 5 4:04 AM
                      On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 20:04:52 -0000
                      "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...> wrote:

                      > Hi John,
                      >
                      > Great article on the static grass applicator and it looks a doddle to build.
                      >
                      > I just need to find a UK supplier of the low voltage negative ion
                      > generator....

                      I believe Noch and Gaugemaster sell suitable built devices. Also remember
                      don't get 15kV static generators close to microcontrollers and the like!
                      15kV will make your grass stand on end but it will also make your DCC
                      chips very unhappy if they get any of it 8)
                    • Melissa Cull
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 5 11:32 AM
                        Hi John,

                        No not strange at all, I've built a mains powered ioniser a few years ago
                        which was a sealed unit when finished and worked in electronics industry for
                        many years with low voltage modules that would produce 50,000 volts low amps
                        to power mini flourescent tubes in computer flat screens - nice kick off
                        those if not careful, some of my colleagues used to use the tiny circuit to
                        make car security devices - touch the car and get zapped - dangerous but a
                        good deterrant for car thieves!

                        People with weak hearts, pacemakers should avoid working on these types of
                        circuits and also using them or the electronic fly swats - 50,000 volts low
                        amps but still have a warning.

                        Kind RegardZ

                        Melissa Cull
                        UK

                        Hi Melissa,

                        Glad you liked the article. If you do build one, just remember you
                        need a high voltage generator. The one in the article produces 15kV
                        volts. That sounds really strange I know, but it's a low amperage device.

                        John
                        http://www.ztrains.com

                      • Glen Chenier
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 5 4:51 PM
                          What a great idea! Thanks for posting this.

                          On another topic, only one photo left in the Home Page Photos
                          folder. Need some more submissions pleeZe.

                        • robertfage@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 6 12:40 AM
                            Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think the Noch at
                            £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.

                            Bob Fage (in the UK)

                          • Melissa Cull
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 8 11:55 AM
                              Hi Bob,

                              Happy to make you one too if I can get the negative ion generator part in UK
                              reasonably, all other bits are available in UK. It's just as easy to make a
                              batch as it is one by the time all the tools are set out.

                              I used to make batches of electronic handheld / panel mount slow smooth
                              speed controllers for N, OO scales and a souped up one for O scale which
                              would crawl along at a lovely smooth snails pace with brass locos an lots of
                              wagons or brass coaches:-) Must make some for Z scale one day, I just need
                              to change an IC for the 8 volt max output.

                              The cheapest I've seen the Noch low voltage grassinator is £120 and the
                              original mains voltage was almost £200 - cringe:-(

                              Kind RegardZ

                              Melissa Cull
                              UK

                              Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think the Noch
                              at
                              £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.

                              Bob Fage (in the UK)

                            • Edward Scullin
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 8 1:53 PM
                                Melissa
                                I would be interested in obtaining one of you speed controls if you ever decide to go into limited
                                production. I have both the Joerger and The snail speed controller. Am always interested in a
                                better mouse trap. I am in the US so would need either 110 Volt 60 hertz AC input or a DC input
                                from a wall wall wart.
                                Ed Scullin

                                --- Melissa Cull <melissa.cull@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Bob,
                                >
                                > Happy to make you one too if I can get the negative ion generator part in UK
                                > reasonably, all other bits are available in UK. It's just as easy to make a
                                > batch as it is one by the time all the tools are set out.
                                >
                                > I used to make batches of electronic handheld / panel mount slow smooth
                                > speed controllers for N, OO scales and a souped up one for O scale which
                                > would crawl along at a lovely smooth snails pace with brass locos an lots of
                                > wagons or brass coaches:-) Must make some for Z scale one day, I just need
                                > to change an IC for the 8 volt max output.
                                >
                                > The cheapest I've seen the Noch low voltage grassinator is £120 and the
                                > original mains voltage was almost £200 - cringe:-(
                                >
                                > Kind RegardZ
                                >
                                > Melissa Cull
                                > UK
                                >

                                > Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think the Noch
                                > at
                                > £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.
                                >
                                > Bob Fage (in the UK)

                              • Don A
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 8 2:29 PM
                                  Melissa:

                                  If you are going into production, I would be interrested also.

                                  Don -- OHIO, USA

                                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

                                  > Melissa
                                  > I would be interested in obtaining one of you speed controls if you
                                  ever decide to go into limited
                                  > production. I have both the Joerger and The snail speed controller.
                                  Am always interested in a
                                  > better mouse trap. I am in the US so would need either 110 Volt 60
                                  hertz AC input or a DC input
                                  > from a wall wall wart.
                                  > Ed Scullin
                                  >

                                  > --- Melissa Cull <melissa.cull@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Hi Bob,
                                  > >
                                  > > Happy to make you one too if I can get the negative ion generator
                                  part in UK
                                  > > reasonably, all other bits are available in UK. It's just as easy
                                  to make a
                                  > > batch as it is one by the time all the tools are set out.
                                  > >
                                  > > I used to make batches of electronic handheld / panel mount slow
                                  smooth
                                  > > speed controllers for N, OO scales and a souped up one for O scale
                                  which
                                  > > would crawl along at a lovely smooth snails pace with brass locos
                                  an lots of
                                  > > wagons or brass coaches:-) Must make some for Z scale one day, I
                                  just need
                                  > > to change an IC for the 8 volt max output.
                                  > >
                                  > > The cheapest I've seen the Noch low voltage grassinator is £120
                                  and the
                                  > > original mains voltage was almost £200 - cringe:-(
                                  > >
                                  > > Kind RegardZ
                                  > >
                                  > > Melissa Cull
                                  > > UK
                                  > >

                                  > > Mellisa if you decide to make one I would be interested. I think
                                  the Noch
                                  > > at
                                  > > £95.00 is a bit expensive for the grass areas I need to do.
                                  > >
                                  > > Bob Fage (in the UK)

                                • Melissa Cull
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 9 10:01 AM
                                    Hi Ed,

                                    The "MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller" actually runs on 9 - 16v AC / DC so
                                    you can provide any mains step down plug in transformer unit you like.

                                    However the current IC in the N / OO scale give 12v DC output at about
                                    /2 - 1 amp and the O scale 12v DC at about 1 - 5 amps. Will have to dig out
                                    the box of bits to give you exact output amps for those.

                                    It works with coreless motors too as it doesn't use feedback, one of the
                                    local model clubs runs both O scale coreless and old iron motors in brass
                                    bodied locos and they run beautifully at huge exhibitions like Warley in the
                                    UK.

                                    For Z scale I only need to change one of the IC's to a lower 8 volt output
                                    one, I think I've got enough of the other components left to build one or
                                    two if you want one but it wouldn't take me long to gather the bits together
                                    if I've not got them all in stock still.

                                    The idea originated from spending a fortune on an N scale Gaugmaster
                                    controller which ran like a bag of spanners which had more Jerk than Jerk
                                    Chicken! So I thought I'm sure I can make something better than this myself
                                    and this was how the "MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller" came about.

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 9 10:20 AM
                                      Hi Don,

                                      The Grassinator or MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller?

                                      If I can get enough orders for either together I would be happy to run off a
                                      small batch of 6 - 12 to see how they go.

                                      So far 3 people have shown an interest.

                                      Kind RegardZ

                                      Melissa Cull
                                      UK

                                      Melissa:

                                      If you are going into production, I would be interrested also.

                                      Don -- OHIO, USA

                                    • Andrew Honeychurch
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 9 10:23 AM
                                        Hello Melissa:

                                        I'd be interested in one of each.

                                        Thanks,

                                        Andrew Honeychurch
                                        US

                                        On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Melissa Cull <
                                        melissa.cull@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Don,
                                        >
                                        > The Grassinator or MLC Troller Slow Speed Controller?
                                        >
                                        > If I can get enough orders for either together I would be happy to run off
                                        > small batch of 6 - 12 to see how they go.
                                        >
                                        > So far 3 people have shown an interest.
                                        >
                                        > Kind RegardZ
                                        >
                                        > Melissa Cull
                                        > UK
                                        >
                                        > Melissa:
                                        >
                                        > If you are going into production, I would be interrested also.
                                        >
                                        > Don -- OHIO, USA

                                      • John Cubbin
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 10 10:03 AM
                                          For those outside of the US, an outfit in Australia called Oatley
                                          Electronics carries negative ion generators for a price similar to the
                                          US based Electronic Goldmine:

                                          http://oatleyelectronics.com/

                                          I'm not sure on the cost of shipping from Australia to Europe or
                                          England... but it may be more reasonable than buying from the US when
                                          factoring in the mailing costs.

                                          A quick glance at the specs of the Oatley generator shows it to be a
                                          similar unit as the Electronic Goldmine piece.

                                          On the Oatley site if you do a product search for "ion generator"
                                          you'll find a pair of these units.

                                          John
                                          http://www.ztrains.com
                                        • Melissa Cull
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 18 2:45 AM
                                            Hello Andrew,

                                            You are on the list for the Grassinator.

                                            I've so far had 2 people interested in the MLC Troller slow speed
                                            controllers, will need more interest to run a small batch of those. Also
                                            need to know length of cable required if handheld.

                                            Kind RegardZ

                                            Melissa

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 30 10:13 AM
                                              Hi,

                                              To those that showed a pre-order interest in having a grassinator only ready
                                              made (provide your own 12vdc PSU as shipping those is prohibative and PSU's
                                              are really expensive in the UK) I've now got all the parts together to make
                                              a dozen units and worked out how much they will cost to just cover parts and
                                              my own unit they work out at £30 sterling as I've had to import the negative
                                              ion generators from the USA via a third party as the company doesn't ship
                                              directly to the UK and the other parts are more expensive in the UK anyway.

                                              I'm not charging for labour as I just want to cover the cost of my own unit.
                                              If I make another batch that would be a different matter.

                                              As the Noch low voltage grassinator retails at £120 sterling and the mains
                                              powered one at £220 sterling £30 sterling is still a bargain.

                                              Postage will be at cost.

                                              Please will you confirm your definite orders offline thank you.

                                              Kind RegardZ

                                              Melissa
                                              UK