Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Turnout Derailment

  • dpstripe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2008
      Andy,
      What Garth was describing is a wheel gauge problem. A lot of marklin stock
      has problems going through MT turnouts. The wheel gauge on Marklin is slightly
      narrower than MT. When you roll a single car through the turnout, watch
      carefully to see if there is any disturbance. Even a slight one. A single car can
      often set itself back on the track. Multiple cars have the additional force
      of the car ahead pulling it and further lifting it off the track.
      Dan S.

      In a message dated 3/1/2008 1:28:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      apoulo@... writes:

      Hi Garth,

      Thanks for the response to my question, but I'm not sure I understand
      what you mean by the "back to back on the Marklin wheel sets." Let me
      also give you some additional information. I have a variety of Marklin
      American freight and passenger cars. If allowed to roll through the
      turnout alone, every car will make the turn smoothly. If coupled
      together in any conceivable combination, the second car will always
      fail to make the turn because of what you describe as a wheel pop.

      Any additional thoughts?

      Thanks,

      Andy Poulo

      2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2, 2008
        Did you check Marklin car's axle gauge with a MTL
        gauge?

        Dom

        --- apoulo <apoulo@...> a écrit :

        > I'm new to the group and relatively new to z scale.
        > I am experiencing
        > a problem running Marklin cars over MTL turnouts.
        > The problem only
        > occurs on right hand turnouts when making a right
        > hand turn. Marklin
        > cars derail a high percentage of the time while MTL
        > cars have no
        > problem. My guess is the problem lies with the
        > Marklin couplers. I
        > think the coupler of the first car is exerting an
        > outside pressure on
        > the following car, causing it to want to go straight
        > and jumping the
        > switch.
        >
        > I'm not sure my analysis is correct, and even if it
        > is, I can't figure
        > out a solution. Has any one else experienced this
        > problem, and does
        > any one have a solution?

      • Alex
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
          Garth,

          Can you post a photo of this "back to back gauge"?
          Is this some thing easy to make?

          Thank you,
          Alex
          Tokyo, Japan
          TechRepL1011

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Garth Hamilton" <garthah@...> wrote:

          > Some of us have a back to back gauge made
          > of brass or aluminum that looks something like a horseshoe which we
          > can slide between the two wheels on an axle to set them for the
          > correct back to back distance.
          >
          > Garth
        • Andrew Poulo
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
            Hi Garth and Dan,

            Thanks for the advice and additional explanations. You guys were right
            on with your diagnosis. Now all I have to do is set up some kind of
            assembly line to adjust and paint (I dislike the silver) all the
            Marklin wheels. I followed your advise and ordered a MTL Gauge from the
            internet, and will start as soon as it arrives.

            I just posted some photos of the first phase of my layout. The album is
            called Royal Gorge Line. I'm building it on a two foot shelf which runs
            around three sides of an 8' x 10' garden shed. The photos are of the
            first 2' x 8' section. Two other sections will depict Florence and
            Pueblo Colorado.

            Once again, thanks for the advice.

            Andy Poulo
          • pinekirk
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
              hello andy,
              i like your layout. if you want any info or pictures (as available)
              from the area, drop me a line. it's always good to see modelers
              focusing in on colorado routes.
              dave f.
              canon city, co

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Poulo <apoulo@...> wrote:

              > Hi Garth and Dan,
              >
              > Thanks for the advice and additional explanations. You guys were
              right
              > on with your diagnosis. Now all I have to do is set up some kind of
              > assembly line to adjust and paint (I dislike the silver) all the
              > Marklin wheels. I followed your advise and ordered a MTL Gauge from
              the
              > internet, and will start as soon as it arrives.
              >
              > I just posted some photos of the first phase of my layout. The
              album is
              > called Royal Gorge Line. I'm building it on a two foot shelf which
              runs
              > around three sides of an 8' x 10' garden shed. The photos are of
              the
              > first 2' x 8' section. Two other sections will depict Florence and
              > Pueblo Colorado.
              >
              > Once again, thanks for the advice.
              >
              > Andy Poulo

            • Uwe Liermann
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
                Hello Alex,

                > Garth,

                Ok.. I'm not Garth, but I bought a tool for this too:

                > Can you post a photo of this "back to back gauge"?
                > Is this some thing easy to make?

                here's a picture of one version of this tool:

                http://www.1zu220-modelle.de/20_1.htm

                the start page is here:

                http://www.1zu220-modelle.de

                --
                GreetingZ
                Uwe
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
                  Hi Alex;

                  Here is a link to the Micro Trains site and a picture of the part.

                  <http://www.micro-trains.com/tools_height_gauge.php>

                  IF there is no link then copy paste into your browser window.

                  cheers
                  Garth

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <butasama@...> wrote:

                  > Garth,
                  >
                  > Can you post a photo of this "back to back gauge"?
                  > Is this some thing easy to make?
                  >
                  > Thank you,
                  > Alex
                  > Tokyo, Japan
                  > TechRepL1011
                  >
                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Garth Hamilton" <garthah@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Some of us have a back to back gauge made
                  > > of brass or aluminum that looks something like a horseshoe which
                  we
                  > > can slide between the two wheels on an axle to set them for the
                  > > correct back to back distance.
                  > >
                  > > Garth

                • David George
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 3, 2008
                    Andy,
                    Welcome to our Z World.
                    Colorado is one of my interests also.
                    Take a look at my web site for a few pictures of the "Royal George Gorge" on the "Golden ~ Blackhawk & Central city R.R."

                    http://misterdavezscale.blogspot.com

                    At last photo ,in first scheme ,click on "older posts" for more photos.

                    Good luck in your modeling endeavors.
                    Cordially,
                    Mister Dave
                    "G ~ & C C"
                    Spring , Tx.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 4, 2008
                      Hi Dave,

                      Thanks for the kind words and offer. I chose the Royal Gorge area
                      because of the railroad war. It gave me an excuse to run Santa Fe and
                      D&GRW trains together. Although I have never been there, I feel I know
                      every mile of track between Canon City and Pueblo. I have used Google
                      Earth many times to run the route.

                      Andy Poulo

                      On Mar 3, 2008, at 8:31 AM, pinekirk wrote:

                      > hello andy,
                      > i like your layout. if you want any info or pictures (as available)
                      > from the area, drop me a line. it's always good to see modelers
                      > focusing in on colorado routes.
                      > dave f.
                      > canon city, co

                    • Jeff BAZ-man
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 4, 2008
                        You can also use the NMRA Nn3 gauge. This stainless steel sheet has
                        2 fine pins for gaurd rails or just inside the rails or wheel
                        flanges. For the life of me, I can't find a supplier of the NMRA
                        gage. Searched every combination of the names and cannot find one
                        that has it. Thought I got mine from Walthers, Nn3.org or RLW.

                        Jeff
                        SF Bay Area Z

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Poulo <apoulo@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Dave,
                        >
                        > Thanks for the kind words and offer. I chose the Royal Gorge area
                        > because of the railroad war. It gave me an excuse to run Santa Fe
                        and
                        > D&GRW trains together. Although I have never been there, I feel I
                        know
                        > every mile of track between Canon City and Pueblo. I have used
                        Google
                        > Earth many times to run the route.
                        >
                        > Andy Poulo
                        >

                        > On Mar 3, 2008, at 8:31 AM, pinekirk wrote:
                        >
                        > > hello andy,
                        > > i like your layout. if you want any info or pictures (as
                        available)
                        > > from the area, drop me a line. it's always good to see modelers
                        > > focusing in on colorado routes.
                        > > dave f.
                        > > canon city, co

                      • stonysmith
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 4, 2008
                          Over at Fast Tracks is a wonderful video with 3D cad animation that
                          explains how turnouts operate, and what measurements are critical
                          for smooth operation. The video is a bit long, but after watching
                          it, I figured out exactly what was going wrong with one of my
                          turnouts.

                          http://www.handlaidtrack.com/nmra-online.php