RE: [z_scale] Re: P.S.....

  • WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 3 6:23 PM
      Rob,

      Can you read German? I guess I need to get a
      translator.

      Best
      Will

      http://www.marklin.de/produkte/produkte_cdrom/index.php?page=detail&nr=88712

      > Now, if it will actually work on 145 mm is another
      > question. I don't have
      > any 145 mm track, so I can not confirm.
      >
      > Best,
      > -Rob

      =====
      WILLIAM BROCK

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • Robert Allbritton
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 4 6:14 AM
        Will,

        Nope - can't read it at all. But I can guess that "Der ICE 3 ist für einen
        Radius ab 195 mm" probably means "The ICE 3 is for a Radius of 195 mm"

        <grin>

      • bjkronen@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 4 6:58 AM
          Will:

          > Can you read German? I guess I need to get a
          > translator.

          Babelfish usually stumbles pretty bad on German-English translations. This
          time it produced something that has some value. Babelfish is at:

          http://babelfish.altavista.com/

          The translation follows. Rob almost got it right (better than I did).

          Now I have a question. Is there only one motor in the ICE3, that being in
          the mid-train restaurant car? Or does one (but not both) of the slope nosed
          engines also come equipped with a motor?

          Regards,
          Bill Kronenberger
          Houston

          -=-=-=-=-=-=

          88712 triebwagenzug ICE 3 model: High-speed course intertown center express
          (ICE 3). Series 406 of the German course AG (railways AG). 1 final car 406,0,
          1. Class. 1 mittelwagen on-board restaurant 406,3,1 mittelwagen 406,6, 2.
          Class. 1 final car 406,5, 2. Class. Model: Central car on-board restaurant
          with new 5-pin mini club engine on all 4 axles propelled. Lighting of the two
          final cars and the mittelwagens 2. Class with maintenance-free light emitting
          diodes. Special clutches, which fit only the model of the ICE 3, permit a
          close Zusammenkuppeln of the course. Course length 465 mm. On the Eurailspeed
          in Berlin at the end of of October 1998 was presented the third ICE
          generation, the ICE 3, to the public for the first time. With a whole number
          of technological Raffinessen the new ICE presents itself and will contribute
          to shorten the travel times further. With the ICE 3 those becomes vehicle
          variety on the tracks of the German course AG (railways AG) around a very
          salient manifestation enriches. Above all the optical page of the new ICE 3
          captivates by the elegant, windschnittige front portion, which sets new
          yardsticks in its aerodynamic form. The most salient technical modification
          is however the propulsion principle. Where so far with the ICE 1 and ICE 2
          the drive sat in the respective triebkoepfen, now the entire propulsion
          technology is distributed under the car boxes at the new generation of the
          ICE 3. The ICE 3 is generally used as achtteilige unit and can be united with
          a further unit. A part of the courses is equipped for the current system of
          the German course AG (railways AG) and as series 403 is defined. Another
          section is prepared than four-system courses for the transnational
          application in Europe. Triebzuege the called series 406 are predominantly
          intended for international course runs. Also the interior equipment
          captivates by its appropriate and responding Ambiente. Particularly
          attractively the passenger compartment is direct behind the engine driver,
          who permits a direct view of the cockpit and the free distance by a glaswand.
          1999 the initial start-up of the vehicles takes place and in the year 2000 is
          the first courses to the Expo in Hanover to be used. By motorizing the
          restaurant car with the Maerklin mini club model the special features of the
          final cars can be to a large extent model-faithfully copied. The ICE 3 is
          intended for a radius starting from 195 mm.
        • Helmut Paule
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 4 7:11 AM
            The ICE 3 is for Radi of 195 mm AND GREATER !
            "Z" Greetings Helmut

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 4 7:44 AM
              Will, Bill, Et Al...

              Yes, The ICE 3 only has one power car: the restaurant. Now here is where it
              gets a little funky...

              History: With the old ICE (Marklin 8871 - Intercity Experimental or ICE-V)
              You had two locomotives at each end, but only the front locomotive would
              pick up power for both motors. The front loco would use power from its
              pickups, and then also send the power back through special power conducting
              couplers to the rear locomotive. It used diodes to make sure only the front
              loco's power pickups were operational. The coach lights come directly from
              pick ups in each coach's wheels. This was done for old fashioned train
              control where you create a small section of track that a signal can power on
              or off. If you want the head of the train to stop where the power is off,
              then you need to draw the power for both motors from the front.

              The 88711 - which was the same model with ICE-I livery and "AMTRAK" labels
              plastered over the "DB" logos - looked neat, but totally inaccurate. The
              ICE-I did actually run in the Northeast corridor from New York to DC in
              revenue service - at about the same time I was getting into Z scale (1993?)
              but the ICE-I had significant changes from the 8871 IC Experimental -
              different nose on the power cars and they got rid of the funky connectors
              between the coaches. While I'm on this rant, the IC Experimental never ran
              with more than 3 coaches, because they only built 3! On the other hand, this
              is Z scale, and since we do not have a proper ICE-I or ICE-II, we have to
              make do with what the powers that be at Marklin will bestow upon us... ok -
              rant over - I feel better now.

              Today: The ICE 3 has its motor in the middle, but the motor restaurant car
              has no power pick ups. This time Marklin is using the same basic technique:
              draw power from pick ups on the control cab cars (no motor on the ends) and
              send it back to the middle through power conducting couplers. The coaches
              still light themselves the same way: through their own power pick ups on
              each individual car. I think the 195 mm radius curve thing has to do with
              the fact that this is one of the first Marklin models that is designed to
              push cars, rather than pull them. They probably had too many derailments
              pushing long trains through 145 mm curves, especially when they are laid in
              opposite directions back to back. Its just a theory.

              DCC bit: I modified my ICE 3 for digital in my hotel room at NTS in St.
              Louis. I got a Digitrax DZ121 in there using techniques similar to putting
              it in the SBB Re460 class (although I still need about .01 mm of height - it
              is not perfect yet - the shell is riding a little high on the chassis) I
              re-wired it so that the DCC decoder always draws power from *both* control
              cab cars. This helped quite a bit. I'm sure the same can be done for analog
              ICE 3 models by simply removing the diodes in the motor restaurant car.

              Best,
              -Rob
              (I obviously had waaaaaay too much coffee this morning!)

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 4 7:54 AM
                Helmut,

                So that is what the last word means! I was just hidiing my ignorance by
                leaving off the final word in the sentence. <grin>

                Best,
                -Rob

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 5 9:46 AM
                  like to know more about your DCC-bit for ICE 8871 (2,3 pole)

                  > Yes, The ICE 3 only has one power car: the restaurant.
                  > Now here is where it gets a little funky...
                  > History: With the old ICE (Marklin 8871 - Intercity Experimental or ICE-V)
                  > feel better now.

                  Good ! (grin)

                  > DCC bit: I modified my ICE 3 for digital in my hotel room at NTS in
                  St.Louis.

                  Any Pictures available ?

                  "Z" Greetings Helmut
                • WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 5 3:25 PM
                    Rob,

                    That is a very good deduction based on that small
                    piece of information. I guess I did not "try to read
                    it" when the whole thing came up, and decifer the
                    individual pieces. It still would be nice to know
                    some German though.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 5 3:33 PM
                      Helmut,

                      You are the "Best German translator". Thanks,

                      BestZ
                      Will

                    • td25scorpio@ntlworld.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 6 4:10 AM
                        --- In z_scale@y..., WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK <wbbrock_2000@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > Rob,
                        >
                        > That is a very good deduction based on that small
                        > piece of information. I guess I did not "try to read
                        > it" when the whole thing came up, and decifer the
                        > individual pieces. It still would be nice to know
                        > some German though.
                        >
                        > Best,
                        > Will
                        > --- Robert Allbritton <robert@p...> wrote:
                        > > Will,
                        > >
                        > > Nope - can't read it at all. But I can guess that
                        > > "Der ICE 3 ist für einen
                        > > Radius ab 195 mm" probably means "The ICE 3 is for a
                        > > Radius of 195 mm"
                        > >
                        > > <grin>
                        > > -Rob

                        Messenger
                        > http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

                        Bill
                        the class 52 runs perfectly around the 2nd radius ,195mm track, with
                        no problems
                        regards
                        simon