Re: shipping charges...

  • non
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 3, 2008
      I have found that United States Postal Services USPS works the best
      for me. I having been shipping model trains items for over 5 years by
      Priority Mail. I used the others only on shipments over 5 pounds.
      The USPS can ship to Post Office Box, homes, and business for on
      charge, where the others services are extra for home delivery.
      One important thing on shipping any item with USPS, UPS, Fed-X made
      sure you have tracking on your package. That way you can find where
      your package is from your computer, a phone call are checking at the
      counter.
      Aaron Poscovsky
      AJ Model Trains
      zscalemodeltrains.com

      > Don,
      >
      > I am glad FedEx works for you. I do invite you to do the math. Go
      to Fedex
      > and USPS and calculate the rates for yourself. A 2lb package
      shipped from 43016
      > to 90290. The value is $100.00. Note, these prices are based on no
      additional
      > insurance. Insurance does up the cost.
      >
      > Fedex
      >
      > Three day $39.44
      > Four Day $8.29
      >
      > USPS
      >
      > Express $21.40
      > Two day (priority) $7.50
      >
      > I have spent extensive time researching these options for Ztrack.
      These
      > online calculators have been a godsend since they have allowed us
      to shop and
      > compare. I am glad FedEx works for you, but I will stay with USPS.
      It is a must

    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 4, 2008
        Loren,

        Credit cards are a double edged sword. They are easy to use and make our
        lives easier. I live by my credit cards since it is just plain simple to use and
        easily rectified. But yes, we retailers must take this into account when we
        sell merchandise. I would NEVER even consider not taking credit cards. So the
        fees we pay are just part of business and our overhead.

        But now we have come full circle. We bring it back to PayPal and what started
        this long string of posts on eBay, pricing, shipping, etc. PayPal charges
        much higher fees to retailers for the 'privilege' of using their service. For
        small retailers and consumers, this is convenient. But for a company like Ztrack,
        we have going through great pains to be an authorized Visa and Mastercard
        merchant. Our fees are approximately 50% less than if we used Paypal. What this
        means is that we can keep costs down and is the sole reason we do not accept
        Paypal.

        So, if anyone is even still reading these threads, I hope we all have learned
        from them. I know I have come through this with some thoughts on improving
        our websites to make some of these charges more clear. I hope anyone reading
        this has more of an insight what retailers faces when trying to offer products at
        the best price. Many retailers cannot get it right which is why we see so
        many failures today in the hobby market. It is sad, and a trend I fear that will
        not end.

        Again, it is what it is. Nothing more, nothing less. I ask all of you to
        support our Z scale retailers. They are the backbone of this hobby. Also, please
        remember to tip your waitress...

        Rob

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.