Re: The good side of auction sites

  • Don A
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 3, 2008
      Rob:

      When someone orders something there seems to be many questions about S/H/I

      Insurance is based upon Value
      Handling is based upon time & size to pack
      Shipping is based upon weight / and sometimes distance
      Tax - extortion

      When there is a mail order purchase most companies charge the above in
      various forms yet you can not make a mail order purchase without
      getting into the above. Why isn't SOME of this just a part of doing
      business - like phone - light - rent etc. The LHS shop does not have
      additional charges even though they may spend a LOT of time with a
      customer on a small item or little time on a large item.

      Around here, there are certain carriers that are terrible and I won't
      use them, yet I suspect you do not know which are the bad ones at this
      end. With all of the above, why can't you {or anyone else) have an
      on-line calculator and let the CUSTOMER make the decision. After all
      the CUSTOMER is the one paying for it and the CUSTOMER can make the
      decision as to how and who handles his shipping. ...basically an FOB
      situation.

      The extra tack-on charges are in many cases a huge source of revenue
      for the shipper. Just like warranties where the seller makes more
      money than the actual product sale, or the gimmick of trying to get
      the sale on the sellers credit card – hoping to earn 20% to 25% on the
      sales amount later on.

      As I said in my first note - I am just curious.

      ...don

      > In a message dated 2/3/08 12:32:29 AM, dpstripe@... writes:
      >

      > > If the $11 shipping charge for orders between
      > > $51 and $100 is permanent, I would suggest updating the Z Track
      Center's

    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 4, 2008
        Loren,

        Credit cards are a double edged sword. They are easy to use and make our
        lives easier. I live by my credit cards since it is just plain simple to use and
        easily rectified. But yes, we retailers must take this into account when we
        sell merchandise. I would NEVER even consider not taking credit cards. So the
        fees we pay are just part of business and our overhead.

        But now we have come full circle. We bring it back to PayPal and what started
        this long string of posts on eBay, pricing, shipping, etc. PayPal charges
        much higher fees to retailers for the 'privilege' of using their service. For
        small retailers and consumers, this is convenient. But for a company like Ztrack,
        we have going through great pains to be an authorized Visa and Mastercard
        merchant. Our fees are approximately 50% less than if we used Paypal. What this
        means is that we can keep costs down and is the sole reason we do not accept
        Paypal.

        So, if anyone is even still reading these threads, I hope we all have learned
        from them. I know I have come through this with some thoughts on improving
        our websites to make some of these charges more clear. I hope anyone reading
        this has more of an insight what retailers faces when trying to offer products at
        the best price. Many retailers cannot get it right which is why we see so
        many failures today in the hobby market. It is sad, and a trend I fear that will
        not end.

        Again, it is what it is. Nothing more, nothing less. I ask all of you to
        support our Z scale retailers. They are the backbone of this hobby. Also, please
        remember to tip your waitress...

        Rob

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.