Re: ZTRACK Magazine and Rob Kluz

  • mrnosal
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Randall Smidt <randy@...> wrote:

      > I think what Rob has said is confidential is the actual list of subscribers. Rob does not sell
      the list nor give out names.

      > randy

      Jim mentioned the number of subscribers when Rob took over Ztrack,
      and suggested the circulation had increased by an order of magnitude.
      Actual figures in the magazine show this to be true. I didn't see
      anyone asking about the names or list of subscribers, just the numbers.

      Of course, if anyone wants to reach the Ztrack subscribers, the best
      way is to buy an ad in the magazine!

      --Mike
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
        Randy,

        We do publish our subscription number once year. You can find these in every
        September/October issue of Ztrack. The US Post Office requires us to do so as
        part of our Periodical rate agreement. This is also the number we use when
        quoting advertisers our circulation numbers. They can be audited and supported.

        By the way, as of today, our total circulation is 1,758! I took over Ztrack
        10 years ago. When I was given the publication, we had 71 subscribers. Ztrack
        has actually been around since 1988, but it was a struggle to maintain even 100
        subscribers. The most we ever had was roughly 125 at that time.

        Also, thank all of you for your support. It is VERY much appreciated. We are
        working very hard to grow the magazine. Deane is adding advertisers which is
        the key for more pages and more color.

        It is easy to accuse Ztrack of blurring the lines between bias and unbiased
        reporting as well as over promotion of our products. We know our approach to be
        both a publication as well as a distributor and retailer is different, but
        not unique. Continental Modeler for instance is owned by Peco. Who complains?
        Our model is one I am actually very proud off. The extra money we make from
        products is used to help grow the magazine and promote Z scale. Jim Thomas
        mentioned that we have not raised our subscription rate in 10 years. This is true,
        though we had to raise our rates this year. We raised them a $1.00. The reason
        is that the sales of products help to offset our costs. This benefits all of
        our subscribers but keeping subscription rates constant and advertising rates
        very economical.

        Last year, we launched Ztrack Center is an attempt to start to separate the
        two sides of the business. We feel this is important. We want Ztrack Magazine
        to grow and prosper. We want to add pages and promote the hobby. This is my
        flagship and proudest achievement. I have big plans for Ztrack Magazine. We are
        in some ways only just beginning.

        We want Ztrack Center to be that place to find those hard to get and unique Z
        products. We don't want to complete with the retailers, and actually place
        their ads on the site. The thought is that this site is a 'center' of Z
        activity. To find unique and special products as well as a link to dealers who can get
        the client everything else that we do not offer. It is a fun idea, especially
        as we prepare to rollout 200 more items to the site!

        Okay, back to playing with trains folks!
        Rob

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com
        www.ztrackcenter.com
        Distributor American Z Line

      • harold grady

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
            In a message dated 2/2/08 9:46:17 PM, butch60619@... writes:

            >   I would like to ask you a question, how much would it cost approx. to
            > take out a full page color add in model railroader magazine?

            Harold,

            Brace your self. A full page color ad in Model Railroader is $7,100.00 (2007
            rate). This did increase in 2008 but I don't have the current rate card.

            Okay, Ztrack full page color -- $835.00. A client can run a full year in
            Ztrack and still be well under the MR price for a single page in a single issue.

            But, the problem we face is that MR has a circ of 160,000 plus. Many
            advertisers just won't deal with a small publication like ours. Deane for instance has
            been working extremely hard to get a scenery company to advertise in Ztrack.
            We feel a company like Scenery Express would be ideal, but we would also love
            to have Woodland Scenics. These companies don't necessarily see value is the
            smaller niche publications. We keep trying since we know that so many of Ztrack
            subscribers do not take magazines like MR. They rather remain focussed on Z.

            Now if Ztrack could get $7,100 for a full page.... Hmmm...

            LOL!!!!