Re: ZTRACK Magazine and Rob Kluz

  • mrnosal
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Thomas" <jim29t@...> wrote:

      > When Rob took over ZTRACK Magazine he had fewer than 100 subscribers
      > and no list of "former" subscribers. The magazine was priced at $40.00
      > per year and essentially mimeographed on copy paper. Through his
      > creative efforts he now has a glossy magazine with color. He does not
      > have any full time help that I know of. His circulation figures may be
      > confidential but he has an order of magnetude more subscribers now. He
      > himself has taken a nothing magazine and made it what it is today. He
      > works full time elsewhere and works long hours and weekends to make it
      > possible for all of us. Thanks Rob.

      Ztrack's circulation figures are not confidential...in fact, they are printed in the magazine
      every year. The latest figures in the Sept/Oct 2007 issue list an average of 1026 paid
      subscribers, 623 sales through dealers, vendors, etc. and 39 free copies of each issue
      during the previous 12 months.

      Rob's done an amazing job with the magazine. I hope to see future issues grow in size,
      with more color photos. Maybe one of these days, I'll even get around to contributing an
      article.

      --Mike
    • Randall Smidt
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
        I think what Rob has said is confidential is the actual list of subscribers. Rob does not sell the list nor give out names.

        randy

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Randall Smidt <randy@...> wrote:

          > I think what Rob has said is confidential is the actual list of subscribers. Rob does not sell
          the list nor give out names.

          > randy

          Jim mentioned the number of subscribers when Rob took over Ztrack,
          and suggested the circulation had increased by an order of magnitude.
          Actual figures in the magazine show this to be true. I didn't see
          anyone asking about the names or list of subscribers, just the numbers.

          Of course, if anyone wants to reach the Ztrack subscribers, the best
          way is to buy an ad in the magazine!

          --Mike
        • ztrack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
            Randy,

            We do publish our subscription number once year. You can find these in every
            September/October issue of Ztrack. The US Post Office requires us to do so as
            part of our Periodical rate agreement. This is also the number we use when
            quoting advertisers our circulation numbers. They can be audited and supported.

            By the way, as of today, our total circulation is 1,758! I took over Ztrack
            10 years ago. When I was given the publication, we had 71 subscribers. Ztrack
            has actually been around since 1988, but it was a struggle to maintain even 100
            subscribers. The most we ever had was roughly 125 at that time.

            Also, thank all of you for your support. It is VERY much appreciated. We are
            working very hard to grow the magazine. Deane is adding advertisers which is
            the key for more pages and more color.

            It is easy to accuse Ztrack of blurring the lines between bias and unbiased
            reporting as well as over promotion of our products. We know our approach to be
            both a publication as well as a distributor and retailer is different, but
            not unique. Continental Modeler for instance is owned by Peco. Who complains?
            Our model is one I am actually very proud off. The extra money we make from
            products is used to help grow the magazine and promote Z scale. Jim Thomas
            mentioned that we have not raised our subscription rate in 10 years. This is true,
            though we had to raise our rates this year. We raised them a $1.00. The reason
            is that the sales of products help to offset our costs. This benefits all of
            our subscribers but keeping subscription rates constant and advertising rates
            very economical.

            Last year, we launched Ztrack Center is an attempt to start to separate the
            two sides of the business. We feel this is important. We want Ztrack Magazine
            to grow and prosper. We want to add pages and promote the hobby. This is my
            flagship and proudest achievement. I have big plans for Ztrack Magazine. We are
            in some ways only just beginning.

            We want Ztrack Center to be that place to find those hard to get and unique Z
            products. We don't want to complete with the retailers, and actually place
            their ads on the site. The thought is that this site is a 'center' of Z
            activity. To find unique and special products as well as a link to dealers who can get
            the client everything else that we do not offer. It is a fun idea, especially
            as we prepare to rollout 200 more items to the site!

            Okay, back to playing with trains folks!
            Rob

            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            6142 Northcliff Blvd.
            Dublin, OH 43016
            phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
            www.ztrack.com
            www.ztrackcenter.com
            Distributor American Z Line

          • harold grady

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
                In a message dated 2/2/08 9:46:17 PM, butch60619@... writes:

                >   I would like to ask you a question, how much would it cost approx. to
                > take out a full page color add in model railroader magazine?

                Harold,

                Brace your self. A full page color ad in Model Railroader is $7,100.00 (2007
                rate). This did increase in 2008 but I don't have the current rate card.

                Okay, Ztrack full page color -- $835.00. A client can run a full year in
                Ztrack and still be well under the MR price for a single page in a single issue.

                But, the problem we face is that MR has a circ of 160,000 plus. Many
                advertisers just won't deal with a small publication like ours. Deane for instance has
                been working extremely hard to get a scenery company to advertise in Ztrack.
                We feel a company like Scenery Express would be ideal, but we would also love
                to have Woodland Scenics. These companies don't necessarily see value is the
                smaller niche publications. We keep trying since we know that so many of Ztrack
                subscribers do not take magazines like MR. They rather remain focussed on Z.

                Now if Ztrack could get $7,100 for a full page.... Hmmm...

                LOL!!!!