Re: [Z_Scale] Re: The good side of auction sites

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 2, 2008
      In a message dated 2/2/08 10:31:04 AM, pray59@... writes:

      > a) Never charge too much for shipping. It it can safely fit and ship
      > in a small bubble envelope for $2.50 shipping, don't put it in a $5
      > priority mail box. If you need more money, charge more for the item
      > not the shipping!

      Robert,

      I agree on all of your comments except for this one point. Ztrack often gets
      criticized for our shipping rates. But, these are honest, true costs that we
      have calculated based on the USPS rates. And supplies, materials and time. The
      problem is that no one wants to pay what true shipping costs. And, what makes
      it worse, it is getting more expensive. The key is not the size and weight,
      but the value of item. True, an AC12 cabforward can fit in a padded envelope and
      sent for only a few dollars, but what happens if it is damaged or does not
      arrive? Who is responsible? Who is going to take the loss? This is the single
      reason that about 95% of our shipments sent to clients come insured.

      The USPS has made shipping with Priority Mail very easy. The offer free
      tracking for Click and Ship orders, as well as the ability to insure up to
      $5,000.00 when taken the Post Office. This is VERY important for our business. Also,
      they offer free shipping supplies which helps keep our costs and shipping rates
      lower. As a retailer, Ztrack assumes responsibility of the item right up
      until that item is delivered. You the consumer are protected that way. For this
      reason, retailers must charge these higher fees.

      I really feel sorry for International clients. There is more risk when
      sending high value items. The rates do reflect this. With the latest post rate
      changes, we actually lost some of our lower cost shipping options. This has been
      very unfortunate.

      For the record, I hate shipping rates! This has been one of the biggest pains
      for us as we try and create online ordering for ztrack.com and
      ztrackcenter.com. We know that we are loosing orders if a customer feels shipping rates are
      too high. Ztrack actually reduces many shipping fees after online orders are
      submitted since the rates on our sites can be much higher than the actual rate.
      We are trying to correct the quoted rates on the sites, but it is not as easy
      as it may seem. If anyone has any questions on our shipping rates, see you
      issue of Ztrack. Our true rates are printed in the magazine. These are the rates
      that will be charged for online orders.

      I hope this email shares a little of the retailers side of the rate issue and
      gives you a bit of an insight on what we as companies face when trying to
      determine the best way to get the products to our customers.

      Rob

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      Dublin, OH 43016
      phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
      www.ztrack.com
      www.ztrackcenter.com

      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 4, 2008
        Loren,

        Credit cards are a double edged sword. They are easy to use and make our
        lives easier. I live by my credit cards since it is just plain simple to use and
        easily rectified. But yes, we retailers must take this into account when we
        sell merchandise. I would NEVER even consider not taking credit cards. So the
        fees we pay are just part of business and our overhead.

        But now we have come full circle. We bring it back to PayPal and what started
        this long string of posts on eBay, pricing, shipping, etc. PayPal charges
        much higher fees to retailers for the 'privilege' of using their service. For
        small retailers and consumers, this is convenient. But for a company like Ztrack,
        we have going through great pains to be an authorized Visa and Mastercard
        merchant. Our fees are approximately 50% less than if we used Paypal. What this
        means is that we can keep costs down and is the sole reason we do not accept
        Paypal.

        So, if anyone is even still reading these threads, I hope we all have learned
        from them. I know I have come through this with some thoughts on improving
        our websites to make some of these charges more clear. I hope anyone reading
        this has more of an insight what retailers faces when trying to offer products at
        the best price. Many retailers cannot get it right which is why we see so
        many failures today in the hobby market. It is sad, and a trend I fear that will
        not end.

        Again, it is what it is. Nothing more, nothing less. I ask all of you to
        support our Z scale retailers. They are the backbone of this hobby. Also, please
        remember to tip your waitress...

        Rob

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.