ZTRACK Magazine and Rob Kluz

  • Jim Thomas
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
      When Rob took over ZTRACK Magazine he had fewer than 100 subscribers
      and no list of "former" subscribers. The magazine was priced at $40.00
      per year and essentially mimeographed on copy paper. Through his
      creative efforts he now has a glossy magazine with color. He does not
      have any full time help that I know of. His circulation figures may be
      confidential but he has an order of magnetude more subscribers now. He
      himself has taken a nothing magazine and made it what it is today. He
      works full time elsewhere and works long hours and weekends to make it
      possible for all of us. Thanks Rob.
    • Randall Smidt
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
        How old is ZTrack now, 12 years, 15 years?

        I'm sure Rob would take this opportunity to remind everyone that he always needs articles from contributors as well.

        Keep up the great work Rob.

        Randy

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Randall Smidt <randy@...> wrote:

          > How old is ZTrack now, 12 years, 15 years?
          >
          > My first issue of Z SCALE MAGAZINE is dated Nov/dec 1986;my last
          issue is dated May/June 1991. My first issue of Z TRACK is dated June
          1990. Rob's first issue was May/June 1995. I guess that makes Rob's Z
          TRACK MAGAZINE coming up to 13 years. One of the first changes Rob
          made was to cut the price to $35.00, which is todays price. 13 years
          without a price increase to his subscribers. WOW. Jim Thomas
        • mrnosal
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Thomas" <jim29t@...> wrote:

            > When Rob took over ZTRACK Magazine he had fewer than 100 subscribers
            > and no list of "former" subscribers. The magazine was priced at $40.00
            > per year and essentially mimeographed on copy paper. Through his
            > creative efforts he now has a glossy magazine with color. He does not
            > have any full time help that I know of. His circulation figures may be
            > confidential but he has an order of magnetude more subscribers now. He
            > himself has taken a nothing magazine and made it what it is today. He
            > works full time elsewhere and works long hours and weekends to make it
            > possible for all of us. Thanks Rob.

            Ztrack's circulation figures are not confidential...in fact, they are printed in the magazine
            every year. The latest figures in the Sept/Oct 2007 issue list an average of 1026 paid
            subscribers, 623 sales through dealers, vendors, etc. and 39 free copies of each issue
            during the previous 12 months.

            Rob's done an amazing job with the magazine. I hope to see future issues grow in size,
            with more color photos. Maybe one of these days, I'll even get around to contributing an
            article.

            --Mike
          • Randall Smidt
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
              I think what Rob has said is confidential is the actual list of subscribers. Rob does not sell the list nor give out names.

              randy

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Randall Smidt <randy@...> wrote:

                > I think what Rob has said is confidential is the actual list of subscribers. Rob does not sell
                the list nor give out names.

                > randy

                Jim mentioned the number of subscribers when Rob took over Ztrack,
                and suggested the circulation had increased by an order of magnitude.
                Actual figures in the magazine show this to be true. I didn't see
                anyone asking about the names or list of subscribers, just the numbers.

                Of course, if anyone wants to reach the Ztrack subscribers, the best
                way is to buy an ad in the magazine!

                --Mike
              • ztrack@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
                  Randy,

                  We do publish our subscription number once year. You can find these in every
                  September/October issue of Ztrack. The US Post Office requires us to do so as
                  part of our Periodical rate agreement. This is also the number we use when
                  quoting advertisers our circulation numbers. They can be audited and supported.

                  By the way, as of today, our total circulation is 1,758! I took over Ztrack
                  10 years ago. When I was given the publication, we had 71 subscribers. Ztrack
                  has actually been around since 1988, but it was a struggle to maintain even 100
                  subscribers. The most we ever had was roughly 125 at that time.

                  Also, thank all of you for your support. It is VERY much appreciated. We are
                  working very hard to grow the magazine. Deane is adding advertisers which is
                  the key for more pages and more color.

                  It is easy to accuse Ztrack of blurring the lines between bias and unbiased
                  reporting as well as over promotion of our products. We know our approach to be
                  both a publication as well as a distributor and retailer is different, but
                  not unique. Continental Modeler for instance is owned by Peco. Who complains?
                  Our model is one I am actually very proud off. The extra money we make from
                  products is used to help grow the magazine and promote Z scale. Jim Thomas
                  mentioned that we have not raised our subscription rate in 10 years. This is true,
                  though we had to raise our rates this year. We raised them a $1.00. The reason
                  is that the sales of products help to offset our costs. This benefits all of
                  our subscribers but keeping subscription rates constant and advertising rates
                  very economical.

                  Last year, we launched Ztrack Center is an attempt to start to separate the
                  two sides of the business. We feel this is important. We want Ztrack Magazine
                  to grow and prosper. We want to add pages and promote the hobby. This is my
                  flagship and proudest achievement. I have big plans for Ztrack Magazine. We are
                  in some ways only just beginning.

                  We want Ztrack Center to be that place to find those hard to get and unique Z
                  products. We don't want to complete with the retailers, and actually place
                  their ads on the site. The thought is that this site is a 'center' of Z
                  activity. To find unique and special products as well as a link to dealers who can get
                  the client everything else that we do not offer. It is a fun idea, especially
                  as we prepare to rollout 200 more items to the site!

                  Okay, back to playing with trains folks!
                  Rob

                  Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                  Dublin, OH 43016
                  phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                  www.ztrack.com
                  www.ztrackcenter.com
                  Distributor American Z Line

                • harold grady

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
                      In a message dated 2/2/08 9:46:17 PM, butch60619@... writes:

                      >   I would like to ask you a question, how much would it cost approx. to
                      > take out a full page color add in model railroader magazine?

                      Harold,

                      Brace your self. A full page color ad in Model Railroader is $7,100.00 (2007
                      rate). This did increase in 2008 but I don't have the current rate card.

                      Okay, Ztrack full page color -- $835.00. A client can run a full year in
                      Ztrack and still be well under the MR price for a single page in a single issue.

                      But, the problem we face is that MR has a circ of 160,000 plus. Many
                      advertisers just won't deal with a small publication like ours. Deane for instance has
                      been working extremely hard to get a scenery company to advertise in Ztrack.
                      We feel a company like Scenery Express would be ideal, but we would also love
                      to have Woodland Scenics. These companies don't necessarily see value is the
                      smaller niche publications. We keep trying since we know that so many of Ztrack
                      subscribers do not take magazines like MR. They rather remain focussed on Z.

                      Now if Ztrack could get $7,100 for a full page.... Hmmm...

                      LOL!!!!