Re: The good side of auction sites

  • pinekirk
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 1 1:32 PM
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Brown" <asmtrains@...> wrote:

      > As far as my Z Scale modeling, I have decided to change from SF to
      > D&RGW (I want to run my models through canyons with pine trees).
      > I actually made this decision a month ago and magically MTL now has
      > GP9s in D&RGW. There is a Z Scale god.
      >
      > I have placed my SF GP-35 on eBay in case anyone is interested.
      > Randy Brown

      you know, Randy, both ATSF and Rio Grande were the dominant presence
      in Colorado. so you could keep your Santa Fe and still run Rio
      Grande especially from Denver south to Pueblo (and on into New
      Mexico). this was called the "joint line" and both railroads shared
      each others trackage. They ran their freights in one direction on
      ATSF trackage, and the other way on D&RGW trackage. the arrangement
      still applies today with the UP and BNSF. now the same wasn't true
      for the mainline and tunnel district WEST of Denver, but Colorado has
      plenty of scenery everywhere along the joint line (with an abundance
      of rock and trees) so you could have your Santa Fe/Rio Grande cake
      and eat it too.

      fyi.
      dave f.
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 4 7:03 AM
        Loren,

        Credit cards are a double edged sword. They are easy to use and make our
        lives easier. I live by my credit cards since it is just plain simple to use and
        easily rectified. But yes, we retailers must take this into account when we
        sell merchandise. I would NEVER even consider not taking credit cards. So the
        fees we pay are just part of business and our overhead.

        But now we have come full circle. We bring it back to PayPal and what started
        this long string of posts on eBay, pricing, shipping, etc. PayPal charges
        much higher fees to retailers for the 'privilege' of using their service. For
        small retailers and consumers, this is convenient. But for a company like Ztrack,
        we have going through great pains to be an authorized Visa and Mastercard
        merchant. Our fees are approximately 50% less than if we used Paypal. What this
        means is that we can keep costs down and is the sole reason we do not accept
        Paypal.

        So, if anyone is even still reading these threads, I hope we all have learned
        from them. I know I have come through this with some thoughts on improving
        our websites to make some of these charges more clear. I hope anyone reading
        this has more of an insight what retailers faces when trying to offer products at
        the best price. Many retailers cannot get it right which is why we see so
        many failures today in the hobby market. It is sad, and a trend I fear that will
        not end.

        Again, it is what it is. Nothing more, nothing less. I ask all of you to
        support our Z scale retailers. They are the backbone of this hobby. Also, please
        remember to tip your waitress...

        Rob

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.