Re: The good side of auction sites

  • Randy Brown
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hi Loren and everybody,

      > Randy,
      > You said it so well, especially about buying it direct by
      > contacting the dealer instead of going through the store and ebay.
      As you know, I look at your eBay Store and the MTL flyer you send and
      then I buy directly from you with a money order. Saves all the fees

      > Pay pal eats a big chunk also, but it is convenient for both
      > seller and buyer, and protective too.
      True, but it really isn't much more than what the credit card
      companies charge for the privilege. About 5%.

      > Oh, I forgot one thing Randy, and you didn't mention it either.
      > Rob, Aaron, Anthony, myself, and others all get to share what
      > little profit there is with you know who...........and his name is
      > worse than saying Ebay. That name?....................none other
      > than good old UNCLE SAM.
      I have to placate him wether I am doing what I do now or working at
      some hobby shop.
      You can't escape, death, taxes and the model railroad fever.

      > I had an idea once about getting together with Anthony and try to
      > hog the whole market so we could both be rich and live happily ever
      > after.....but to quote a line from "Support your local Sheriff"
      > Anthony then asked me "60 FOR WHO AND 40 FOR WHO?"
      "You mean 60 for you and 40 for me...."
      "Why, thank you"

      Remember... to make a small fortune in the hobby business, you start
      with a large fortune and work your way down. ;>)

      > Ok, back to being a quiet citizen.......for awhile.........
      That will be the day........ :o)

      See ya,
      Randy Brown
      Check out my E-Bay Store at:
      http://stores.ebay.com/Randy-Brown
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 4, 2008
        Loren,

        Credit cards are a double edged sword. They are easy to use and make our
        lives easier. I live by my credit cards since it is just plain simple to use and
        easily rectified. But yes, we retailers must take this into account when we
        sell merchandise. I would NEVER even consider not taking credit cards. So the
        fees we pay are just part of business and our overhead.

        But now we have come full circle. We bring it back to PayPal and what started
        this long string of posts on eBay, pricing, shipping, etc. PayPal charges
        much higher fees to retailers for the 'privilege' of using their service. For
        small retailers and consumers, this is convenient. But for a company like Ztrack,
        we have going through great pains to be an authorized Visa and Mastercard
        merchant. Our fees are approximately 50% less than if we used Paypal. What this
        means is that we can keep costs down and is the sole reason we do not accept
        Paypal.

        So, if anyone is even still reading these threads, I hope we all have learned
        from them. I know I have come through this with some thoughts on improving
        our websites to make some of these charges more clear. I hope anyone reading
        this has more of an insight what retailers faces when trying to offer products at
        the best price. Many retailers cannot get it right which is why we see so
        many failures today in the hobby market. It is sad, and a trend I fear that will
        not end.

        Again, it is what it is. Nothing more, nothing less. I ask all of you to
        support our Z scale retailers. They are the backbone of this hobby. Also, please
        remember to tip your waitress...

        Rob

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.