EBAY topics

  • Glen Chenier
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
      Gents;

      We understand the concept of frustration with certain services, and how
      good it feels to vent, and so far all replies are in agreement.

      However, this list is not the place to vent. Please refrain from
      further posts on Ebay and Paypal fee topics.
    • Alex
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
        Why not?
        This seems to be a hot topic for many in this group... both sellers
        and buyers alike.

        This topic has generated more discussion than any other of late.

        Free speach?

        Alex
        Tokyo, Japan

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <glen@...> wrote:

        > Gents;
        >
        > We understand the concept of frustration with certain services, and
        how
        > good it feels to vent, and so far all replies are in agreement.
        >
        > However, this list is not the place to vent. Please refrain from
        > further posts on Ebay and Paypal fee topics.
      • Loren
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
          Hey Alex,

          Good point, but there are certain rules I guess we have to follow, BUT I
          will say this as one last parting shot.....Karin is just about ready to
          place some rare MTL stock from the 80s on that certain site we all love to
          hate, (just like Listerine) For those wanting some good old stuff, you know
          where to watch very soon.

          Best,

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
            Ah, you just stepped into my pet peeve...let me be blunt.

            Glen is the group OWNER. Free speech does not apply with ANY group in
            yahoogroups. They (each group) are privately run by private individuals.
            THEY make the rules, not the First Amendment. If you don't like it, tell
            Glen off list. By my count there are 2 owners and 3 moderators for this
            list. It is their job to moderate the list not yours. There are almost 2000
            members here, there is no way he (Glen) or his team can make everyone happy.
            So it is his rules we live by. Life goes on.

            My apologies to Glen and his management team for stepping on their toes with
            this reply.

            David Epling
            Western Pacific Railroad Museum
            Model Railroad Committee Chairman
            www.wplives.org
            david_epling@...

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
              Alex,

              Yes, this was a hot topic. It is still an ongoing topic but now the
              discussion has shifted away from Ebay fees to the more meaningful
              issues of Z Scale buyers, sellers, and local hobby shops that support
              Z scale. No problem now, but (hint hint) a subject heading change is
              needed.

              I did not see any of this until I got home from work this afternoon,
              and before I even had a chance to pour my customary glass of after-
              work wine and delete spam emails I got a phone call from one of the
              other moderators what to do about all the Ebay stuff. "What Ebay
              stuff?"

              Looking through all the posts I had two opposing thoughts: Like you
              said, this is a hot topic and has generated much lively discussion
              with interest and agreement among many list members. But then I
              realized pretty much everything that needed to be said had been.
              This list is primarily for Z scale topics, Ebay and Paypal fees are
              not really Z scale topics.

              So my request was/is to refrain from Ebay fees as the topic of a post
              in this ongoing discussion. Note that this is a REQUEST...

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <butasama@...> wrote:

              > Why not?
              > This seems to be a hot topic for many in this group... both sellers
              > and buyers alike.
              >
              > This topic has generated more discussion than any other of late.
              >
              > Free speach?
              >
              > Alex
              > Tokyo, Japan
              >
              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <glen@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Gents;
              > >
              > > We understand the concept of frustration with certain services,
              and
              > how
              > > good it feels to vent, and so far all replies are in agreement.
              > >
              > > However, this list is not the place to vent. Please refrain from
              > > further posts on Ebay and Paypal fee topics.

            • Michael Hilliard
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
                Hello again,

                David, Alex, and the rest of you, Glen made his posting after I spoke to him on the phone (funny huh, actually talking to someone live on a phone call?, I think Bill K. would be proud, rest his soul). As far as "free speech, would you like me to say I'm selling F'ing something on god darn E-Bay but everyone knows where to find e-bay anyway?

                It's one thing to warn other members of a bad seller (with documentation) on e-bay, but it';s quite another to simply bi*ch about e-bay or any other site for whatever reason..

                Free speach only goes so far as I've tryrd to show above. The line has to be drawn somewhere, that line was "not" drawn by Glen, it's simply a line of good descresion left to interrpritation, this is a G rated group, can we keep it that way?

                These topics have generated conversation, negative in my opinion. I did not read all replys, but I haven't read anything positive or constructive. Just b*ching undeserved by "US" the moderaters/owners & list members. We do have certain "rules"to help keep this a happy family of Z scalers, but some push the limits, a very few, not all 2000+ members.

                One last note, the word HATE is a very big word... If you have a problem with "my" words, please conact me off list @ mchwilton@... or 203-762-2476. Bluntly your's,

                Micheal Hilliard
                Wilton, CT USA
                co-moderater of z_scale

                P.S. my toes are just fine...<smile>

                wplives.org> wrote:
                Ah, you just stepped into my pet peeve...let me be blunt.

                Glen is the group OWNER. Free speech does not apply with ANY group in
                yahoogroups. They (each group) are privately run by private individuals.
                THEY make the rules, not the First Amendment. If you don't like it, tell
                Glen off list. By my count there are 2 owners and 3 moderators for this
                list. It is their job to moderate the list not yours. There are almost 2000
                members here, there is no way he (Glen) or his team can make everyone happy.
                So it is his rules we live by. Life goes on.

                My apologies to Glen and his management team for stepping on their toes with
                this reply.

                David Epling
                Western Pacific Railroad Museum
                Model Railroad Committee Chairman
                www.wplives.org
                david_epling@...

                This seems to be a hot topic for many in this group... both sellers
                and buyers alike.

                This topic has generated more discussion than any other of late.

                Free speach?

                Alex
                Tokyo, Japan

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <glen@...> wrote:

                > Gents;
                >
                > We understand the concept of frustration with certain services, and
                how
                > good it feels to vent, and so far all replies are in agreement.
                >
                > However, this list is not the place to vent. Please refrain from
                > further posts on Ebay and Paypal fee topics.

              • David Epling
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
                  Mike, you have my apologies if you took my comments to be offensive towards
                  the moderators. That was not my intention. It was meant to back you guys up.
                  Moderating a large list is a thankless job.

                  David

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                    Where in my four sentences did I write any thing to get the type of
                    response that I did?
                    I was asking a simple question.
                    I did NOT tell any one that runs or moderates the list that they were
                    wrong or that they needed to do some thing different.

                    This is exactly one of the reasons I rarely post on this forum.

                    Maybe some one needs a little bit more fiber in their diet.

                    Alex

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <david_epling@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Ah, you just stepped into my pet peeve...let me be blunt.
                    >
                    > Glen is the group OWNER. Free speech does not apply with ANY group
                    in
                    > yahoogroups. They (each group) are privately run by private
                    individuals.
                    > THEY make the rules, not the First Amendment. If you don't like it,
                    tell
                    > Glen off list. By my count there are 2 owners and 3 moderators for
                    this
                    > list. It is their job to moderate the list not yours. There are
                    almost 2000
                    > members here, there is no way he (Glen) or his team can make
                    everyone happy.
                    > So it is his rules we live by. Life goes on.
                    >
                    > My apologies to Glen and his management team for stepping on their
                    toes with
                    > this reply.
                    >
                    > David Epling
                    > Western Pacific Railroad Museum
                    > Model Railroad Committee Chairman
                    > www.wplives.org
                    > david_epling@...

                  • non
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                      Sorry that I mentioned HATE about ebay. I really mean, people that
                      come into a model train store and tell people in front on me who get
                      it on ebay, that where I get my Z items.
                      Please, there are a lot of local model train shops and good internet
                      retails, give these people a chance to stay in business. Do you know
                      what it feels like to have a shop (large or small) and have customers
                      tell people (Oh your best deals are on ebay for these items. And the
                      funny thing is the items people are talking about are right there in
                      my store right now!
                      Ebay is a great place to find the MTL or Marklin items that has been
                      out of production and no store has it.
                      There are a lot of internet and some stores that will put you on list
                      to order items from MTL or Marklin as there come out without you
                      missing them.
                      I want to tell MTL love all the great cars you are coming out with.
                      Two road numbers so that you can build a train with more than just
                      one road number.
                      Aaron Poscovsky
                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hilliard <mchwilton@...>

                    • robertfage@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                        I agree, I HATE it, I certainly do not LOVE it. when I was at a toy fair
                        selling items (including Z gauge) when I had paid for a table with a give
                        frontage to have a couple of people mauling over the items and one telling the
                        other and me as well that he purchased on e bay last week for half what I was
                        selling it for. 'Been there, got the Tee shirt' Bob Fage (in the UK)

                      • w7gsa
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                          Hi Michael,

                          I guess I am different then you are because I would much rather read
                          spirited conversation by a large number of people about something that
                          effects asll of us (i.e. what eBay is going to charge us to sell our Z
                          scale items) then I would mundane conversation that effects a very few
                          people (i.e. how to re-assemble the gears in a croc after you have
                          taken it apart).

                          I enjoy reading what other like minder people are thinking.

                          Bill