Why I HATE ebay!

  • non
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
      As a small z and n scale retailer, I never hated ebay until customers
      would come into my store and tell the customers in the store the great
      deals on z and n on ebay. People would do it over and over again. Like
      all retail stores, I have rent, phone, website etc cost and that money
      has to come from the sale of my inventory.
      At first I thought it was just me, but I talked to a train store here
      (Houston, TX), that is having the same problem. He told me, people
      come in and look the items over, write down the information about the
      item and when asked by his clerks if they are interested in the item
      the reply is the same: "Iam planning on purchasing it on ebay , so I
      came over to the store, to see the item before purchasing on ebay.
      WHY, are people doing this? If you plan on never doing business with
      your local hobby store would you go in and tell him to his face you
      purchase of ebay?
      I have lost many new customer, because someone would tell the customer
      while he/she looking at the DCC or new Marklin or MTL items that he
      can get it on ebay.
      Please people, you can purchase from anyone you want, its your money,
      just do not tell people that have money in inventory, rent, phones,
      website etc, that you only looking at his stuff before ordering on ebay.
      Aaron Poscovsky
      zscalemodeltrains.com
    • Zane H. Healy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
        > the reply is the same: "Iam planning on purchasing it on ebay , so I
        > came over to the store, to see the item before purchasing on ebay.
        > WHY, are people doing this? If you plan on never doing business with
        > your local hobby store would you go in and tell him to his face you
        > purchase of ebay?

        That's just rude. I have purchased a lot of Micro-Trains stuff from my
        local shop. I don't always purchase from them, sometimes I order via email
        from someone else. It isn't the local shops fault they've lost these sales,
        it is Micro-Trains inability to get them the stock they need to get my sale.
        I'm one of those strange people that typically try to buy local.

        I'm not sure if I've purchased anything train related off of eBay, I know
        I've watched a few auctions. The stuff I watch on eBay isn't available
        locally, or is long out of production. I typically use eBay for rare books.
        Stuff you just can't find anywhere else.

        Zane
      • non
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
          Yes, ebay does have a place to find old items. I have purchased old
          items from my childhood days on ebay.
          Just people have to remember, There is No reason to tell a retail
          store owner that you just use his place to look at items. And for the
          local retail, it is hard to judge how many items to order. Many times,
          I have ordered 6 hopper cars that just came out, and only sold one.
          And than the next month order only 3 new hoppers and had request for 10.
          Just wanted to get off my mind, If you are ONE of the people that like
          to stand up at a club meeting or in a hobby store to tell people what
          you purchased on ebay, STOP!--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H.
          Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

          > > the reply is the same: "Iam planning on purchasing it on ebay , so I
          > > came over to the store, to see the item before purchasing on ebay.
          > > WHY, are people doing this? If you plan on never doing business with
          > > your local hobby store would you go in and tell him to his face you
          > > purchase of ebay?
          >
          > That's just rude. I have purchased a lot of Micro-Trains stuff from my
          > local shop. I don't always purchase from them, sometimes I order
          via email
          > from someone else. It isn't the local shops fault they've lost
          these sales,
          > it is Micro-Trains inability to get them the stock they need to get
          my sale.
          > I'm one of those strange people that typically try to buy local.
          >
          > I'm not sure if I've purchased anything train related off of eBay, I
          know
          > I've watched a few auctions. The stuff I watch on eBay isn't available
          > locally, or is long out of production. I typically use eBay for
          rare books.
          > Stuff you just can't find anywhere else.
          >
          > Zane

        • Don A
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
            My Local Hobby Store __SELLS__ a lot of stuff through Ebay.

            ...don

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "non" <aposcovsky@...> wrote:

            > Yes, ebay does have a place to find old items. I have purchased old
            > items from my childhood days on ebay.
            > Just people have to remember, There is No reason to tell a retail
            > store owner that you just use his place to look at items. And for the
            > local retail, it is hard to judge how many items to order. Many times,
            > I have ordered 6 hopper cars that just came out, and only sold one.
            > And than the next month order only 3 new hoppers and had request for 10.
            > Just wanted to get off my mind, If you are ONE of the people that like
            > to stand up at a club meeting or in a hobby store to tell people what
            > you purchased on ebay, STOP!--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H.
            > Healy" <healyzh@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > the reply is the same: "Iam planning on purchasing it on ebay , so I
            > > > came over to the store, to see the item before purchasing on ebay.
            > > > WHY, are people doing this? If you plan on never doing business with
            > > > your local hobby store would you go in and tell him to his face you
            > > > purchase of ebay?
            > >
            > > That's just rude. I have purchased a lot of Micro-Trains stuff
            from my
            > > local shop. I don't always purchase from them, sometimes I order
            > via email
            > > from someone else. It isn't the local shops fault they've lost
            > these sales,
            > > it is Micro-Trains inability to get them the stock they need to get
            > my sale.
            > > I'm one of those strange people that typically try to buy local.
            > >
            > > I'm not sure if I've purchased anything train related off of eBay, I
            > know
            > > I've watched a few auctions. The stuff I watch on eBay isn't
            available
            > > locally, or is long out of production. I typically use eBay for
            > rare books.
            > > Stuff you just can't find anywhere else.
            > >
            > > Zane

          • Robert Toole
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
              Aaron,

              I agree with you whole heartly. I'm a consumer but I certainly wouldn't treat a LHS like that. There is a store in Hemet, Dynamic Hobbies and they specialize in RC items and Lionel and AristoCraft trains. They don't carry any Z and very listtle N scale and no HO. I asked them if they could order some for me and was given the cold shoulder, Sooooo I shop online. My MTL comes from Loren and my Swiss items come from that auction site, usually E Stores.
              I belong to a group European Train Enthusists (HOac) there are only 2 or 3 Marklin dealers here in So Cal so they have developed a relationship with a dealer in Germany.

              Robert

              non <aposcovsky@...> wrote:
[...]

            • Alan Cox
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3 3:34 PM
                > WHY, are people doing this? If you plan on never doing business with
                > your local hobby store would you go in and tell him to his face

                I have friends in the book trade who have the same problem with Amazon.
                They use the local bookshop just to see what there is and not order.
                It's not new though - people have been walking into shops to see models
                and then mail ordering them for less, for a long long time, probably
                since the beginning of the hobby.

                If you are a shop you have to offer the things that mail order/ebay/web
                can't offer.

                Alan
              • non
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3 5:32 PM
                  Yes, we all know that people order from mail order or ebay. The problem
                  is peole think store owners to their face, "Oh, I buy on ebay and than
                  tell of customer store the same thing". I think it is hard express the
                  feeling of a store owner when a person does this to them. when this
                  happens to me, I tell, how will I pay my suppliers, the rent etc.
                  I was told from another train store, that he asked a customer man and
                  women not to return, after they took up about 30 minutes of his time
                  and writing down the information about the products, only to tell
                  him, "Oh we going home to order on ebay, just wanted to know about the
                  product."
                  People is the USA, you are free to purchase from anyone you wish from,
                  just "Do not tell the store owner, you purchase from other people" to
                  his face.