Suggestions for Kari's "phase4a" track plan

  • jmac_han@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2001
      Hi Kari,

      Here's a quick reaction to your track plan. First some general
      observations.

      1. designed for only one train in continous operation
      2. only one turnout is effective in counter-clockwise direction of
      travel
      3. relatively complicated (to me, that is) return loop concerns
      4. good candidate for DCC ;-)

      Warning: my suggestions are based on my personal preferences and have
      nothing to do with any knowledge of layout design.

      You can see from the annotations that I made to your original track
      plan that I like to see two trains running or 1 train running while
      the sole operator (you) moves a second train around the yard areas.

      Adding the long blue extension to the main line will provide a
      bypass at the yard throat where you are likely to want to operate a
      switcher or pull a passenger train out of or into the yard. Most
      railroads would avoid having trains pull directly into the main line
      from a yard throat.

      Keeping the single main line to the Right Hand of the plan provides
      additional operational challenges that you might wish to maintain in
      the plan. Later on, you can always upgrade the layout to complete
      double main line if you so desire.

      I like to run trains to get the kinks out. My suggestion to you
      would be to simulate running trains on paper or via a computer
      simulation program or go ahead and lay the tracks and run trains in
      the manner that you plan. Find the weak spots and correct them
      before doing a lot of scenery that you might have to remove if you
      want to correct trackage.

      I'm sure that you will get lots of enjoyment out of this layout,
      Kari. Thanks for sharing the plan with us.

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey MacHan