Re: [z_scale] Z Stigma

  • Bill Hoshiko
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
      jcubbin@... wrote:

      > In reading some of these Z stigma posts I'm not quite clear on what
      > the problem is.

      Waaaay back, when TT gauge was first introduced, pre 1948 I believe,
      every new scale produced that was smaller than HO was heralded by "Now
      you can
      build a layout on a coffee table!" When HO was introduced I don't
      believe the term "coffee table" was even a part of the American lexicon.

      Living in Southern California we have no basements where a large layout
      could be built. All we could dream of was the use of a two car garage.
      20 x 20 feet was the best we could hope for without building a super
      large add-on or a big back yard shed. The first two car garage size
      layout I ever saw made me realize that it was not large enough to hold
      any reasonable mainline model. Any decent length HO train would extend
      around three sides of the garage. After all, in HO scale a 20 x 20 foot
      space represents only 1/3 of a scale square mile. 1 HO scale mile is 60
      feet.

      In Z scale 24 feet equals one scale mile. So, a 20 x 20 foot room is
      still less than a Z scale square mile. I don't think that you can even
      fit a Z scale model of Disneyland in a 20x20' space. How do you explain
      the need for a railroad operating in a space less than 1 square mile.
      Especially one that requires a Big Boy locomotive.

      Another factor is track radius. In a 1966 Model Railroader article
      about prototype curves I read that one of the sharpest mainline radius
      curves in operation was a 10-degree curve on The Great Northern
      railroad. This would have been a 79" radius in HO. Converting to Z
      would make it about 32". This is a "minimum" radius, not an average or
      recommended, but a MINIMUM radius.

      Prior to diesels the recommended HO minimum radius was 24". This was
      because steam locomotives had a longer wheel base, 6 or 8 or 10 drivers
      in a fixed frame. The diesels with 4 wheel trucks allowed for a smaller
      radius circle and 18" minimum became popular. You couldn't fit a 24"
      minimum radius oval on a 4 x 8 board. With modern precision machinery
      and the use of plastics Rivarossi was able to manufacture huge steam
      power that could negotiate 18" radius curves. It didn't look good on a
      curve this sharp but it made it around. For Z, 18" radius
      converts to 7.2".

      In order for modern North American equipment to have a reasonable
      appearance rounding curves on a Z scale layout we would need about 14"
      as a minimum. Back in the days of steam 40' freight cars were the
      norm. Passenger cars were 80' and needed wider curves. The longer
      passenger cars with the truck pivot points located further back from the
      ends of the cars required excessive coupler swing on the sharp curves.
      The Talgo trucks solved this problem and even helped the short freight
      cars.

      Today, most American freight cars exceed 60' in length. Some even
      exceed 80'. If you wish to model a railroad with passenger equipment or
      modern freight and you want to create a reasonably realistic layout,
      then you should consider minimum mainline radius of 14" or 15". A
      minimum radius in excess of 18" would be great. You would then need
      switches larger than #8. The sharp Marklin switches will not fit into
      the overall look.

      Look at the photos of Yuji Kawabara's Gunderson Maxi-Stack III

      http://member.nifty.ne.jp/yuzi

      Besides the beautiful models see the wide open look of his layout. If
      you weren't told that this was Z scale, you would think that it might be
      HO. As long as Z scale is thought of as a coffee table or brief case
      type railroad it keeps bringing back that cute, but not very realistic,
      image to the rest of the model railroad population.

      N scale took a long time to escape that same "problem".

      When I speak to any non Z scale modeler I always get that expression,
      "what about the detail?". My answer is "what detail?". If I can model
      a Santa Fe Super Chief in Z that looks realistic rounding a model of
      Sullivan's curve isn't that detail?.

      I guess that the way that the rest of the model railroad world views Z
      scale is the problem. Ping pong just doesn't have the same impact of
      tennis yet it requires much the same dedication and effort to be a
      champion in either sport.

      I think that some of the Z scalers wish to make the rest of the model
      rail population take their view away from the diminutiveness of Z scale
      and see the potential for building a model of that favorite prototype
      railroad site in a space that doesn't require a convention center.

      Sorry if I took up so much space but this is why I am trying to model in
      Z.

      Bill
      El Toro
    • jcubbin@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
        After reading the posts, I just think there is a divergence of Z mind-sets. I personally don't see a need for a concerted effort to reshape
        someone's concept of how Z scale modeling should be thought of, but that's just my view and like all opinions is subject to change. You
        know what they say about variety.

        I really liked that link:

        http://member.nifty.ne.jp/yuzi/

        And I have one to show as well, again it's Nn3:

        http://members.aol.com/elstad/nn3.html

        Rather than have people look at photos and think it's HO, my goal is to have people look at photos and think it's the real thing. Lofty, I
        know... but that's the goal.

        At least it's nice to see passionate voices in the Z arena.

        John
      • Jeffrey White
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
          I can relate to what you have said. Three years ago I
          was sitting on the floor of my apartment in
          Jacksonville, FL looking dreamy eyed at a N scale
          Rivarossi Big Boy and four or five UP PFE reefer cars.
          In my mind I was imagining what it will be like when I
          finally get my layout completed and have 40 or 50 cars
          being pulled by this great steam engine. As my eyes
          traveled the imaginary mainline tracks of my layout I
          found out that my layout turnarounds and yard space
          was very very limited to the area I had to build my
          layout. Right then and there I thought my dreams of
          duplicating the heavy hauling practices of the Western
          (or Eastern) railroads would never happen unless I
          joined a club or lease some small commercial real
          estate property. :)

          But lo and behold! It just so happened that I had
          accidentally purchased a Micro-Trains Z scale Army
          boxcar. I never even heard of Z at the time! But what
          I did know was two weeks later; all my layout space
          problems had disappeared from my vision! In my (Z
          scale) daydreaming I saw 8, 9 and even 10 track
          classification yards! I saw graceful turnarounds that
          could look prototypical! I saw 50 to 60 car unit
          trains. For me personally, I just saw an unlimited
          possibility!

          Jeffrey

          --- Bill Hoshiko <billhko@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > detail?". If I can model
          > a Santa Fe Super Chief in Z that looks realistic
          > rounding a model of
          > Sullivan's curve isn't that detail?.
          >
          > I guess that the way that the rest of the model
          > railroad world views Z
          > scale is the problem. Ping pong just doesn't have
          > the same impact of
          > tennis yet it requires much the same dedication and
          > effort to be a
          > champion in either sport.
          >
          > I think that some of the Z scalers wish to make the
          > rest of the model
          > rail population take their view away from the
          > diminutiveness of Z scale
          > and see the potential for building a model of that
          > favorite prototype
          > railroad site in a space that doesn't require a
          > convention center.
          >
          > Sorry if I took up so much space but this is why I

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
        • Robert Allbritton
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
            John,

            See Bill Kronenberger's reply.

            He is my new standing Public Relations agent. I agree with everything he
            said 100%, and his communications skills are much better than mine.

            Best,
            -Rob

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 3, 2001
              Oles comments on Bill Kronenbergers fine remarks and ideas I fully agree to.
              Bill summed up all advantages and the beauty of scale Z.

              However please allow me to add one thing, which I feel is important.
              Very often I hear the comment to scale Z: "Ah, scale Z. These are the layouts
              with the fast running mad cockroaches!"
              And there is some truth to it.
              On most scale Z layouts the locos are running too fast. We all know the reason.
              If you have done some car switching over several turnouts and with un-couplers,
              you know what I mean. At slow or dead slow speed the 'normal' Z-loco is not very
              reliable. The new five pole motor has not improved the situation much.
              The MTL-locos are somewhat better. But you have to go to Faulhaber motor driven
              locos (with fly wheel) to get a reasonable result.
              And great hope I put on DCC equipped locos. I have seen such locos crawling
              along pulling many freight cars. When this technique is further improved (e.g.
              factory equipped) and the price is coming down it is definitely my first choise.

              With such slow running trains on the layout, scale Z will attract more people I
              think.

              Greetings
              Dieter

              Dieter W. Nolte
              E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
            • webffm@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 3, 2001
                Great comments by Bill in Houston and nice ones from Bill in El Toro -
                - The bottom line is no matter what the layout, it is all good for
                the promotion and growth of the scale...Bill in Buffalo
              • D. A. Karp
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 4, 2001
                  Hi all,

                  This discussion of a Z stigma is very interesting to me. It seems as
                  though some of us want Z to be taken seriously because it is small, and
                  some of us want Z to be taken seriously in spite of the fact that it is small.

                  I think both of these can happen, and Jeffrey's Val Ease Central is a
                  terrific example of this. It's obviously been taken seriously (NTS 2001
                  Best of Show). The fact that it is constructed in three suitcases brings
                  attention to its small size, yet its detail and professionalism rivals any
                  N or HO layout.

                  I think anything we do to promote Z in any way helps us all. Just my $.02.

                  -David
                  http://www.creativelement.com/z/
                • Bill Hoshiko
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 6, 2001
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 6, 2001
                      Bill,

                      Well stated, well stated! That is exactly why I have
                      been studing photos, maps (topograhical and routing),
                      graphs of cut away and grade, books, and videos on the
                      particular area or line I plan to model. With this, I
                      can get the basis down correctly, namely track and
                      topograghy and then keep working at making it a
                      realistic scene and layout. I shall keep working at
                      it, and thanks for the encouragement Bill.

                      BestZ
                      Will

> [...]
                      > and a dedication to do it. If you want to build a
                      > representation of a railroad with stations,
                      > railroad yards, locomotive maintenance shops,
                      > industrial sidings and a fair stretch of mainline
                      > you would require a very large space. And then
                      > again, you could get by with just three valises, get
                      > your layout featured in Model Railroader Magazine,
                      > and win "Best in Show" in the National Train Show..
                      >
                      > Or, just enjoy. Read Jeffrey MacHan latest post
                      > and build what you want. Make that list as Jeff
                      > advises and if your objectives lead you to a layout
                      > that photographs realistically then it would be that
                      > much better.
                      >
                      > And, to get back to the original subject, it could
                      > be far easier to build this layout if we had more
                      > manufactures contributing to our favorite scale.
                      > All this talk about changing minds is an attempt to

                      =====
                      WILLIAM BROCK

                      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/