Re: Z Stigma

  • ktanskan@ruuvi.me.tut.fi
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
      I think this stigma is somewhat based on reality. In this forum
      there's more
      discussion about bits and pieces than layouts and scenery, which
      I think is the strongest point of Z. If I was interested in
      modifying engines or handlaying track, I'd probably do G scale,
      at least is sounds easier that way :).

      How about a poll? Do you have a Z layout, and if yes, what's the size
      of it?
      Kari Tanskanen ktanskan@...
      http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/
      Tampere University of Technology Machine Design Laboratory
    • ahellary
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
        my Z gauge lay out fills the whole of my spare bedroom .but one reason for
        small layouts is cost i'd expect

        AhEllary

        the mad uk z'er with digitrax chief and winlok 2.1 how with add web page at
        www.nccnet.co.uk/ahellary
        > I think this stigma is somewhat based on reality. In this forum
        > there's more
        > discussion about bits and pieces than layouts and scenery, which
        > I think is the strongest point of Z. If I was interested in
        > modifying engines or handlaying track, I'd probably do G scale,
        > at least is sounds easier that way :).
        >
        > How about a poll? Do you have a Z layout, and if yes, what's the size
        > of it?
        > Kari Tanskanen ktanskan@...
        > http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/
        > Tampere University of Technology Machine Design Laboratory

      • Ole Rosted
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
          On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 00:35:16 EDT, you wrote:

          > Large layouts and modules is one way
          >to prove that Z scale is real.

          Why is that?

          Would you also say:"In order to get people interested in wrist-watch
          making, we'll have to build more grandfather-clocks"?

          Z has a quality in itself: it's small! Hence it incorporates a lot of
          interesting modeling-techniques you'll never need (or see) in larger
          scales.

          These techniques ask for precision. The Z scale is unforgiving.
          If anything is more than a few fractions of a mm wrong, the whole
          design is ruined.

          I guess this is why grown-ups opt for using their time on Z:
          It's a challenge!

          regards Ole Rosted
        • Bill Hoshiko
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
            jcubbin@... wrote:

            > In reading some of these Z stigma posts I'm not quite clear on what
            > the problem is.

            Waaaay back, when TT gauge was first introduced, pre 1948 I believe,
            every new scale produced that was smaller than HO was heralded by "Now
            you can
            build a layout on a coffee table!" When HO was introduced I don't
            believe the term "coffee table" was even a part of the American lexicon.

            Living in Southern California we have no basements where a large layout
            could be built. All we could dream of was the use of a two car garage.
            20 x 20 feet was the best we could hope for without building a super
            large add-on or a big back yard shed. The first two car garage size
            layout I ever saw made me realize that it was not large enough to hold
            any reasonable mainline model. Any decent length HO train would extend
            around three sides of the garage. After all, in HO scale a 20 x 20 foot
            space represents only 1/3 of a scale square mile. 1 HO scale mile is 60
            feet.

            In Z scale 24 feet equals one scale mile. So, a 20 x 20 foot room is
            still less than a Z scale square mile. I don't think that you can even
            fit a Z scale model of Disneyland in a 20x20' space. How do you explain
            the need for a railroad operating in a space less than 1 square mile.
            Especially one that requires a Big Boy locomotive.

            Another factor is track radius. In a 1966 Model Railroader article
            about prototype curves I read that one of the sharpest mainline radius
            curves in operation was a 10-degree curve on The Great Northern
            railroad. This would have been a 79" radius in HO. Converting to Z
            would make it about 32". This is a "minimum" radius, not an average or
            recommended, but a MINIMUM radius.

            Prior to diesels the recommended HO minimum radius was 24". This was
            because steam locomotives had a longer wheel base, 6 or 8 or 10 drivers
            in a fixed frame. The diesels with 4 wheel trucks allowed for a smaller
            radius circle and 18" minimum became popular. You couldn't fit a 24"
            minimum radius oval on a 4 x 8 board. With modern precision machinery
            and the use of plastics Rivarossi was able to manufacture huge steam
            power that could negotiate 18" radius curves. It didn't look good on a
            curve this sharp but it made it around. For Z, 18" radius
            converts to 7.2".

            In order for modern North American equipment to have a reasonable
            appearance rounding curves on a Z scale layout we would need about 14"
            as a minimum. Back in the days of steam 40' freight cars were the
            norm. Passenger cars were 80' and needed wider curves. The longer
            passenger cars with the truck pivot points located further back from the
            ends of the cars required excessive coupler swing on the sharp curves.
            The Talgo trucks solved this problem and even helped the short freight
            cars.

            Today, most American freight cars exceed 60' in length. Some even
            exceed 80'. If you wish to model a railroad with passenger equipment or
            modern freight and you want to create a reasonably realistic layout,
            then you should consider minimum mainline radius of 14" or 15". A
            minimum radius in excess of 18" would be great. You would then need
            switches larger than #8. The sharp Marklin switches will not fit into
            the overall look.

            Look at the photos of Yuji Kawabara's Gunderson Maxi-Stack III

            http://member.nifty.ne.jp/yuzi

            Besides the beautiful models see the wide open look of his layout. If
            you weren't told that this was Z scale, you would think that it might be
            HO. As long as Z scale is thought of as a coffee table or brief case
            type railroad it keeps bringing back that cute, but not very realistic,
            image to the rest of the model railroad population.

            N scale took a long time to escape that same "problem".

            When I speak to any non Z scale modeler I always get that expression,
            "what about the detail?". My answer is "what detail?". If I can model
            a Santa Fe Super Chief in Z that looks realistic rounding a model of
            Sullivan's curve isn't that detail?.

            I guess that the way that the rest of the model railroad world views Z
            scale is the problem. Ping pong just doesn't have the same impact of
            tennis yet it requires much the same dedication and effort to be a
            champion in either sport.

            I think that some of the Z scalers wish to make the rest of the model
            rail population take their view away from the diminutiveness of Z scale
            and see the potential for building a model of that favorite prototype
            railroad site in a space that doesn't require a convention center.

            Sorry if I took up so much space but this is why I am trying to model in
            Z.

            Bill
            El Toro
          • jcubbin@optonline.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
              After reading the posts, I just think there is a divergence of Z mind-sets. I personally don't see a need for a concerted effort to reshape
              someone's concept of how Z scale modeling should be thought of, but that's just my view and like all opinions is subject to change. You
              know what they say about variety.

              I really liked that link:

              http://member.nifty.ne.jp/yuzi/

              And I have one to show as well, again it's Nn3:

              http://members.aol.com/elstad/nn3.html

              Rather than have people look at photos and think it's HO, my goal is to have people look at photos and think it's the real thing. Lofty, I
              know... but that's the goal.

              At least it's nice to see passionate voices in the Z arena.

              John
            • Jeffrey White
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
                I can relate to what you have said. Three years ago I
                was sitting on the floor of my apartment in
                Jacksonville, FL looking dreamy eyed at a N scale
                Rivarossi Big Boy and four or five UP PFE reefer cars.
                In my mind I was imagining what it will be like when I
                finally get my layout completed and have 40 or 50 cars
                being pulled by this great steam engine. As my eyes
                traveled the imaginary mainline tracks of my layout I
                found out that my layout turnarounds and yard space
                was very very limited to the area I had to build my
                layout. Right then and there I thought my dreams of
                duplicating the heavy hauling practices of the Western
                (or Eastern) railroads would never happen unless I
                joined a club or lease some small commercial real
                estate property. :)

                But lo and behold! It just so happened that I had
                accidentally purchased a Micro-Trains Z scale Army
                boxcar. I never even heard of Z at the time! But what
                I did know was two weeks later; all my layout space
                problems had disappeared from my vision! In my (Z
                scale) daydreaming I saw 8, 9 and even 10 track
                classification yards! I saw graceful turnarounds that
                could look prototypical! I saw 50 to 60 car unit
                trains. For me personally, I just saw an unlimited
                possibility!

                Jeffrey

                --- Bill Hoshiko <billhko@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > detail?". If I can model
                > a Santa Fe Super Chief in Z that looks realistic
                > rounding a model of
                > Sullivan's curve isn't that detail?.
                >
                > I guess that the way that the rest of the model
                > railroad world views Z
                > scale is the problem. Ping pong just doesn't have
                > the same impact of
                > tennis yet it requires much the same dedication and
                > effort to be a
                > champion in either sport.
                >
                > I think that some of the Z scalers wish to make the
                > rest of the model
                > rail population take their view away from the
                > diminutiveness of Z scale
                > and see the potential for building a model of that
                > favorite prototype
                > railroad site in a space that doesn't require a
                > convention center.
                >
                > Sorry if I took up so much space but this is why I

                http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
              • Robert Allbritton
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
                  John,

                  See Bill Kronenberger's reply.

                  He is my new standing Public Relations agent. I agree with everything he
                  said 100%, and his communications skills are much better than mine.

                  Best,
                  -Rob

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 3, 2001
                    Oles comments on Bill Kronenbergers fine remarks and ideas I fully agree to.
                    Bill summed up all advantages and the beauty of scale Z.

                    However please allow me to add one thing, which I feel is important.
                    Very often I hear the comment to scale Z: "Ah, scale Z. These are the layouts
                    with the fast running mad cockroaches!"
                    And there is some truth to it.
                    On most scale Z layouts the locos are running too fast. We all know the reason.
                    If you have done some car switching over several turnouts and with un-couplers,
                    you know what I mean. At slow or dead slow speed the 'normal' Z-loco is not very
                    reliable. The new five pole motor has not improved the situation much.
                    The MTL-locos are somewhat better. But you have to go to Faulhaber motor driven
                    locos (with fly wheel) to get a reasonable result.
                    And great hope I put on DCC equipped locos. I have seen such locos crawling
                    along pulling many freight cars. When this technique is further improved (e.g.
                    factory equipped) and the price is coming down it is definitely my first choise.

                    With such slow running trains on the layout, scale Z will attract more people I
                    think.

                    Greetings
                    Dieter

                    Dieter W. Nolte
                    E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
                  • webffm@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 3, 2001
                      Great comments by Bill in Houston and nice ones from Bill in El Toro -
                      - The bottom line is no matter what the layout, it is all good for
                      the promotion and growth of the scale...Bill in Buffalo
                    • D. A. Karp
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 4, 2001
                        Hi all,

                        This discussion of a Z stigma is very interesting to me. It seems as
                        though some of us want Z to be taken seriously because it is small, and
                        some of us want Z to be taken seriously in spite of the fact that it is small.

                        I think both of these can happen, and Jeffrey's Val Ease Central is a
                        terrific example of this. It's obviously been taken seriously (NTS 2001
                        Best of Show). The fact that it is constructed in three suitcases brings
                        attention to its small size, yet its detail and professionalism rivals any
                        N or HO layout.

                        I think anything we do to promote Z in any way helps us all. Just my $.02.

                        -David
                        http://www.creativelement.com/z/
                      • Bill Hoshiko
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 6, 2001
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 6, 2001
                            Bill,

                            Well stated, well stated! That is exactly why I have
                            been studing photos, maps (topograhical and routing),
                            graphs of cut away and grade, books, and videos on the
                            particular area or line I plan to model. With this, I
                            can get the basis down correctly, namely track and
                            topograghy and then keep working at making it a
                            realistic scene and layout. I shall keep working at
                            it, and thanks for the encouragement Bill.

                            BestZ
                            Will

> [...]
                            > and a dedication to do it. If you want to build a
                            > representation of a railroad with stations,
                            > railroad yards, locomotive maintenance shops,
                            > industrial sidings and a fair stretch of mainline
                            > you would require a very large space. And then
                            > again, you could get by with just three valises, get
                            > your layout featured in Model Railroader Magazine,
                            > and win "Best in Show" in the National Train Show..
                            >
                            > Or, just enjoy. Read Jeffrey MacHan latest post
                            > and build what you want. Make that list as Jeff
                            > advises and if your objectives lead you to a layout
                            > that photographs realistically then it would be that
                            > much better.
                            >
                            > And, to get back to the original subject, it could
                            > be far easier to build this layout if we had more
                            > manufactures contributing to our favorite scale.
                            > All this talk about changing minds is an attempt to

                            =====
                            WILLIAM BROCK

                            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/