Re: Ztrack, Plans for 2008

  • Jeff BAZ-man
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2008
      I look forward to seeing other modules and layouts as many are not up
      on the web for others to see. Hopefully, nice quality images along
      with a track plan overview and a website link for further
      exploration. So many module pix have terrible lighting, gigantic
      overviews that don't show detail or select areas and often are poorly
      focused or use a flash to was out nearly everthing. This is going to
      be great to see other's ideas, especially the European ones as we
      only get periodic glimpses from posting.

      I agree with you about the forums. Many don't know about them or,
      prefer not to participate in them. I'm still looking for a good list
      of websites and references for Z scale to hand out at shows.

      I'm guilty about not submitting how-to's. This year was tight with
      double moves and a massive relayment of track on my Wye module. Now
      back to the detail work on a new work bench with camera on a goose
      neck so I can snap pictures without the excuse.

      Jeff
      SF Bay Area Z
      "The BAZ BoyZ"

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Browning" <thomascb2004@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > > Micro-Trains track, flex track and even module configurations.
      > Ztrack is also looking to
      > > add a column for someone who can help us create track plans,
      > associated art
      > > and graphics as well as conceptual plans. If you are interested,
      > please contact
      > > us off-line.
      > >
      > > The second area we would like to focus on is module clubs and
      > modules. We
      > > would like to see at least one article in every issue of Ztrack
      > dedicated to
      > > modules. This would include club news and a featured module of
      the
      > issue. I think
      > > modules are one of the most exciting aspects of Z today. I think
      it
      > is
      > > important we share the work of module builders with the Z
      > community. The
      > > November/December 2007 issue of Ztrack will feature Robert Ray's
      > Time Saver Module. We
      > > hope this article will be a kick off to regular module features.
      > >
      > > The third area is increased coverage of European Z layouts. About
      > 40% of our
      > > readers are interested in European prototypes. We need to
      increase
      > our
      > > coverage of these areas. Finally, we are looking for more how-to
      > and instructional
      > > articles.
      > >
      > > We see so much amazing work being done on the forums, that it is
      > amazing. I
      > > do hope and encourage those doing this work to submit articles to
      > Ztrack. A
      > > large portion of our readers do not follow the forums and we
      would
      > love to share
      > > your creations with our complete readership.
      > >
      > > Ztrack is also working to increase our page count and content.
      > Deane Shepard
      > > is working extremely hard to bring in new advertisers, which will
      > allow Ztrack
      > > to grow and increase our content. This is not necessarily an easy
      > task, but
      > > Deane is already doing an exceptional job. Thank you Deane!
      > >
      > > The last area I want to talk about is the web. John Cubbin has
      > created two
      > > outstanding websites for us. Ztrack.com is a beautiful site that
      > promotes Ztrack
      > > incredibly well. We are planning to increase content on the site.
      > John has
      > > visions of creating an HTML newsletter and we will be working on
      > that in the new
      > > year.
      > >
      > > Ztrack Center is our new retail web site. Look for new products
      > appear in
      > > 2008. Ztrack is in the process of bringing in two new lines from
      > Germany,
      > > which will add almost 200 more products to the site. Thank you
      John
      > for all of
      > > your hard work and dedication!
      > >
      > > Ztrack will continue to offer subscriber specials on AZL new
      > releases and spec
      > > ial imprint cars from FR. We are also looking to continue special
      > car runs
      > > with Micro-Trains.
      > >
      > > As we move into 2008, it looks like another exciting year for Z
      > scale. Ztrack
      > > is growing and adapting as the scale grows. It is a wonderful
      time
      > to be in
      > > Z!
      > >
      > > Happy New Year!
      > > Rob Kluz
      > >
      > > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      > > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      > > Dublin, OH 43016
      > > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
      > > http://www.ztrack.com/
      > > Distributor American Z Line

    • Glen Chenier
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2008
        What Rob says...

        When submitting informative responses, files, items of general and
        useful Z Scale interest, you might want to also CC Rob at Ztrack @
        aol.com (remove spaces) for potential Ztrack Magazine print
        publication. Shared experiences are invaluable.

        <snip>....

        > We see so much amazing work being done on the forums, that it is
        amazing. I
        > do hope and encourage those doing this work to submit articles to
        Ztrack. A
        > large portion of our readers do not follow the forums and we would
        love to share
        > your creations with our complete readership.
        ...<snip>...
      • Bob Mitchell
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 1, 2008
          Hi, Rob,

          And thanks for that great message--I'm glad to be a
          tiny part of your growing, Essential magazine, and
          will keep in mind your wishes for pertinent articles
          that you described.
          I'm working on a "review on steriods": a compilation
          of product reviews of three new laser micro-ply
          residential building kits, comparing 'em, adding some
          improvements, and perhaps depicting the three in a
          scene. Suggestions?
          To a great new year, and thanks for your magazine!

          Best,

          Bob Mitchell

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Don A
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 1, 2008
            Bob:

            Why did you select micro-ply as opposed to three super good kits - or
            will you also do a side-by-side on non-micro ply? I've built both
            types and with care can not see any difference in the final results.

            Thanks. ...don

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Bob Mitchell <miniatureerections@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi, Rob,
            >
            > And thanks for that great message--I'm glad to be a
            > tiny part of your growing, Essential magazine, and
            > will keep in mind your wishes for pertinent articles
            > that you described.
            > I'm working on a "review on steriods": a compilation
            > of product reviews of three new laser micro-ply
            > residential building kits, comparing 'em, adding some
            > improvements, and perhaps depicting the three in a
            > scene. Suggestions?
            > To a great new year, and thanks for your magazine!
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > Bob Mitchell

            > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

          • Bob Mitchell
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
              Hi, Don,

              I meant that mess. for Rob Kluz, but am a digi-bonehead, not that it's a big deal...

              I just happened to acquire three laser-cut micro-ply residence kits in succession, so thought it might be a neat twist to review 'em as a gang, rather than do seperate product reviews for each. I have no special fetish for the manufacturing technique, but I do deeply admire artisans like Robert Ray, who can make that laser talk.

              I'm wondering if it isn't "cricket" to compare the different manufacturer's model houses, as some do a better job than others? I know from expereince that some hobby periodicals don't like me "bashing" (read: saying one's better than another) kits, as that can translate to loss of advert dollars. I don't suspect Rob Kluz of that, but the situation does exist in our "little" world.
              Since I blundered into the bigger Yahoo sphere, does anyone else have any ideas about these, or any, product reviews?

              Hey, y'all,

              Bob Mitchell

            • Don A
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                Well, I have built quite a number of kits of all types including
                scratch. On the laser front there are three superb kits to look at -
                Robert Ray's - also makes kits for MTL, Jason Alles [Fannocreek] and
                Ben "Anemick" and there are others. There are also some brands way
                low on the quality scale. These good kits all range from micro ply -
                to regular wood - to plastic. Once a kit is finished I think you
                would be hard pressed to say one's materials are any better than
                another. It is really a case of using the best suited materials for
                the kit being built. Alles's plastic wood chip hoppers are almost
                dead-on for appearance since the plastic is so thin and smooth - and
                he has some clever stiffeners that are prototypical. On the other
                hand this material might not be too good for a building's walls etc.
                ...and so it goes.

              • ztrack@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                  In a message dated 12/31/07 10:47:19 AM, randy@... writes:

                  > Can you tell us what two new product lines from Germany are being added (or
                  > at least tell us when you CAN tell us)?  Are these in addition to the
                  > HighTech and Luetke lines that were added recently?

                  Randy,

                  Yes, these are in addition to HTM and Luetke. Once we have the lines up on
                  Ztrack Center, we will make the announcements. Stay tuned!

                  Rob

                  Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                  Dublin, OH 43016
                  phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                  http://www.ztrack.com/
                  Distributor American Z Line

                • Randall Smidt
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 3, 2008
                    Well, tell John to hurry up and get the info onto to ZTrack Center then. ;-)

                    Thanks,
                    Randy

                    ztrack@... wrote:

                    In a message dated 12/31/07 10:47:19 AM, randy@... writes:

                    > Can you tell us what two new product lines from Germany are being added (or
                    > at least tell us when you CAN tell us)? Are these in addition to the
                    > HighTech and Luetke lines that were added recently?

                    Randy,

                    Yes, these are in addition to HTM and Luetke. Once we have the lines up on
                    Ztrack Center, we will make the announcements. Stay tuned!

                    Rob

                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    Dublin, OH 43016
                    phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                    http://www.ztrack.com/
                    Distributor American Z Line

                  • Melissa Cull
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 3, 2008
                      Hi Rob,

                      I like the sound of the changes for 2008 especially the track plans (not my
                      strong point), the European coverage means Ztrack is the only magazine
                      printed in English.

                      I know I've promised you a couple of how to articles, I'll try and complete
                      them this year once I've tided my model workshop out and can find the ones I
                      built earlier to photograph - at the moment I can't get in there as it's a
                      mess of baseboards, boxes, tools and books....

                      Kind RegardZ

                      Melissa Cull
                      UK

[...]

                      Ztrack Center is our new retail web site. Look for new products to appear in

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 4, 2008
                        In a message dated 1/3/08 10:47:45 AM, melissa.cull@...
                        writes:

                        > I'll try and complete
                        > them this year once I've tided my model workshop out and can find the ones I
                        > built earlier to photograph -- at the moment I can't get in there as it's a
                        > mess of baseboards, boxes, tools and books....

                        Melissa,

                        LOL! I had have to do the same thing. Before I can work on the layout, I
                        have to dig a path to it. It is getting better, but I have more clean up to do.

                        Best,
                        Rob

                        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                        Dublin, OH 43016
                        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                        www.ztrack.com
                        www.ztrackcenter.com
                        Distributor American Z Line

                      • John Mui
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 4, 2008
                          Melissa and Rob, you need enlist the help of the basement cleaning
                          specialist, Randall Smidt. :D

                          John
                          >> them this year once I've tided my model workshop out and can find the
                          >> ones I
                          >> built earlier to photograph -- at the moment I can't get in there as it's
                          >> mess of baseboards, boxes, tools and books....
                          >>

                          > Melissa,
                          >
                          > LOL! I had have to do the same thing. Before I can work on the layout, I
                          > have to dig a path to it. It is getting better, but I have more clean up
                          > to do.
                          >
                          > Best,
                          > Rob
                          >

                          > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                          > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                          > Dublin, OH 43016
                          > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                          > www.ztrack.com
                          > www.ztrackcenter.com
                          > Distributor American Z Line

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Melissa Cull
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                            Hi Rob & John,

                            I don't have a basement:-( Just a tiny box room for my modelmaking room.

                            I've made a start over the seasonal holiday to dig a path to my workbench,
                            might get there by Easter:-(

                            If I let my Mom loose in there she would clear it in a day but her method
                            would be just hire a skip and chuck everything including my
                            models.....eeeeeeeeek!

                            I think I need a bit more IKEA storage systems then I can get it tidy
                            again.....

                            Kind RegardZ

                            Melissa
                            UK

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                              In a message dated 1/5/08 5:00:20 AM, melissa.cull@... writes:

                              > I think I need a bit more IKEA storage systems then I can get it tidy
                              > again.....

                              Same here! I use the Ikea three drawer cabinets for storage under the layout.
                              These have been great. Since I expanded the layout, I may need a few more
                              for storage.

                              Rob

                              Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                              6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                              Dublin, OH 43016
                              phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                              www.ztrack.com
                              www.ztrackcenter.com

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                                Hi Rob,

                                Perhaps the Z scale community should commision IKEA to do dedicated pine Z
                                scale storage systems as many of us use there products for either storing or
                                mounting out layouts on??

                                IKEA seem to like storage and getting as much into as small a space as
                                possible so would be ideal or perhaps they would like to sponsor a Swedish Z
                                scale train (preferably steam) - even better:-)

                                My modelmaking room got in such as mess also because I had brought new
                                furniture for it which is just the right height for me to put the larger Z
                                scale layout on I'm building but was to be temporaily used for my bedroom
                                until I found a nice pine wardrobe and a couple of chest of drawers for that
                                but they stopped the range I was collecting before I completed the set as
                                IKEA have a habit of doing so am still awaiting replacing my bedroom
                                furniture so the modelmaking room furniture can go in the correct room.

                                Kind RegardZ

                                Melissa
                                UK