Re: Ztrack, Plans for 2008

  • Tom Browning
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2008
      I will surely miss Jeffery's and John's columns. But I look forward
      to a new ZTrack look and feel. Best of luck for 2008, Rob.

      Tom in Dallas

      > With today being the last day of 2007, I thought I would share our
      plans and
      > thoughts for 2008. First, I would like to announce that two long
      running
      > columns will be ending. Jeffrey MacHan's Last Spike will end with
      the
      > January/February issue. This long running column has chronicled
      Jeffrey's VEC and travels.
      > Over 40 articles have appeared in Ztrack during the past 7 years.
      It has been
      > an amazing run.
      >
      > John Bartolotto's Z Web Search column is also ending. At this time,
      it
      > appears the November/December 2007 column will be his last. John
      has been sharing
      > amazing Z scale-oriented web sites in every issue of Ztrack. John
      is moving on,
      > as is his column. Of course both will live on in our back issues!
      >
      > We are sorry to lose these outstanding columns, but we are very
      grateful for
      > the work Jeffrey and John have done. Thank you to you both!
      >
      > With one door closing, another opens. I feel there are areas of the
      Z scale
      > community and interests that we need to enhance our coverage on.
      The first area
      > is track plans. We have been trying to increase track plans in
      Ztrack, but
      > with little success. We are looking for track plans of Marklin
      track,
      > Micro-Trains track, flex track and even module configurations.
      Ztrack is also looking to
      > add a column for someone who can help us create track plans,
      associated art
      > and graphics as well as conceptual plans. If you are interested,
      please contact
      > us off-line.
      >
      > The second area we would like to focus on is module clubs and
      modules. We
      > would like to see at least one article in every issue of Ztrack
      dedicated to
      > modules. This would include club news and a featured module of the
      issue. I think
      > modules are one of the most exciting aspects of Z today. I think it
      is
      > important we share the work of module builders with the Z
      community. The
      > November/December 2007 issue of Ztrack will feature Robert Ray's
      Time Saver Module. We
      > hope this article will be a kick off to regular module features.
      >
      > The third area is increased coverage of European Z layouts. About
      40% of our
      > readers are interested in European prototypes. We need to increase
      our
      > coverage of these areas. Finally, we are looking for more how-to
      and instructional
      > articles.
      >
      > We see so much amazing work being done on the forums, that it is
      amazing. I
      > do hope and encourage those doing this work to submit articles to
      Ztrack. A
      > large portion of our readers do not follow the forums and we would
      love to share
      > your creations with our complete readership.
      >
      > Ztrack is also working to increase our page count and content.
      Deane Shepard
      > is working extremely hard to bring in new advertisers, which will
      allow Ztrack
      > to grow and increase our content. This is not necessarily an easy
      task, but
      > Deane is already doing an exceptional job. Thank you Deane!
      >
      > The last area I want to talk about is the web. John Cubbin has
      created two
      > outstanding websites for us. Ztrack.com is a beautiful site that
      promotes Ztrack
      > incredibly well. We are planning to increase content on the site.
      John has
      > visions of creating an HTML newsletter and we will be working on
      that in the new
      > year.
      >
      > Ztrack Center is our new retail web site. Look for new products to
      appear in
      > 2008. Ztrack is in the process of bringing in two new lines from
      Germany,
      > which will add almost 200 more products to the site. Thank you John
      for all of
      > your hard work and dedication!
      >
      > Ztrack will continue to offer subscriber specials on AZL new
      releases and spec
      > ial imprint cars from FR. We are also looking to continue special
      car runs
      > with Micro-Trains.
      >
      > As we move into 2008, it looks like another exciting year for Z
      scale. Ztrack
      > is growing and adapting as the scale grows. It is a wonderful time
      to be in
      > Z!
      >
      > Happy New Year!
      > Rob Kluz
      >
      > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      > Dublin, OH 43016
      > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
      > http://www.ztrack.com/
      > Distributor American Z Line

    • Jeff BAZ-man
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2008
        I look forward to seeing other modules and layouts as many are not up
        on the web for others to see. Hopefully, nice quality images along
        with a track plan overview and a website link for further
        exploration. So many module pix have terrible lighting, gigantic
        overviews that don't show detail or select areas and often are poorly
        focused or use a flash to was out nearly everthing. This is going to
        be great to see other's ideas, especially the European ones as we
        only get periodic glimpses from posting.

        I agree with you about the forums. Many don't know about them or,
        prefer not to participate in them. I'm still looking for a good list
        of websites and references for Z scale to hand out at shows.

        I'm guilty about not submitting how-to's. This year was tight with
        double moves and a massive relayment of track on my Wye module. Now
        back to the detail work on a new work bench with camera on a goose
        neck so I can snap pictures without the excuse.

        Jeff
        SF Bay Area Z
        "The BAZ BoyZ"

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Browning" <thomascb2004@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > that in the new
        > > year.
        > >
        > > Ztrack Center is our new retail web site. Look for new products
        > appear in
        > > 2008. Ztrack is in the process of bringing in two new lines from
        > Germany,
        > > which will add almost 200 more products to the site. Thank you
        John
        > for all of
        > > your hard work and dedication!
        > >
        > > Ztrack will continue to offer subscriber specials on AZL new
        > releases and spec
        > > ial imprint cars from FR. We are also looking to continue special
        > car runs
        > > with Micro-Trains.
        > >
        > > As we move into 2008, it looks like another exciting year for Z
        > scale. Ztrack
        > > is growing and adapting as the scale grows. It is a wonderful

      • Glen Chenier
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 1, 2008
          What Rob says...

          When submitting informative responses, files, items of general and
          useful Z Scale interest, you might want to also CC Rob at Ztrack @
          aol.com (remove spaces) for potential Ztrack Magazine print
          publication. Shared experiences are invaluable.

          <snip>....

          > We see so much amazing work being done on the forums, that it is
          amazing. I
          > do hope and encourage those doing this work to submit articles to
          Ztrack. A
          > large portion of our readers do not follow the forums and we would
          love to share
          > your creations with our complete readership.
          ...<snip>...
        • Bob Mitchell
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 1, 2008
            Hi, Rob,

            And thanks for that great message--I'm glad to be a
            tiny part of your growing, Essential magazine, and
            will keep in mind your wishes for pertinent articles
            that you described.
            I'm working on a "review on steriods": a compilation
            of product reviews of three new laser micro-ply
            residential building kits, comparing 'em, adding some
            improvements, and perhaps depicting the three in a
            scene. Suggestions?
            To a great new year, and thanks for your magazine!

            Best,

            Bob Mitchell

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Don A
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 1, 2008
              Bob:

              Why did you select micro-ply as opposed to three super good kits - or
              will you also do a side-by-side on non-micro ply? I've built both
              types and with care can not see any difference in the final results.

              Thanks. ...don

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Bob Mitchell <miniatureerections@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi, Rob,
              >
              > And thanks for that great message--I'm glad to be a
              > tiny part of your growing, Essential magazine, and
              > will keep in mind your wishes for pertinent articles
              > that you described.
              > I'm working on a "review on steriods": a compilation
              > of product reviews of three new laser micro-ply
              > residential building kits, comparing 'em, adding some
              > improvements, and perhaps depicting the three in a
              > scene. Suggestions?
              > To a great new year, and thanks for your magazine!
              >
              > Best,
              >
              > Bob Mitchell

              > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

            • Bob Mitchell
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                Hi, Don,

                I meant that mess. for Rob Kluz, but am a digi-bonehead, not that it's a big deal...

                I just happened to acquire three laser-cut micro-ply residence kits in succession, so thought it might be a neat twist to review 'em as a gang, rather than do seperate product reviews for each. I have no special fetish for the manufacturing technique, but I do deeply admire artisans like Robert Ray, who can make that laser talk.

                I'm wondering if it isn't "cricket" to compare the different manufacturer's model houses, as some do a better job than others? I know from expereince that some hobby periodicals don't like me "bashing" (read: saying one's better than another) kits, as that can translate to loss of advert dollars. I don't suspect Rob Kluz of that, but the situation does exist in our "little" world.
                Since I blundered into the bigger Yahoo sphere, does anyone else have any ideas about these, or any, product reviews?

                Hey, y'all,

                Bob Mitchell

              • Don A
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                  Well, I have built quite a number of kits of all types including
                  scratch. On the laser front there are three superb kits to look at -
                  Robert Ray's - also makes kits for MTL, Jason Alles [Fannocreek] and
                  Ben "Anemick" and there are others. There are also some brands way
                  low on the quality scale. These good kits all range from micro ply -
                  to regular wood - to plastic. Once a kit is finished I think you
                  would be hard pressed to say one's materials are any better than
                  another. It is really a case of using the best suited materials for
                  the kit being built. Alles's plastic wood chip hoppers are almost
                  dead-on for appearance since the plastic is so thin and smooth - and
                  he has some clever stiffeners that are prototypical. On the other
                  hand this material might not be too good for a building's walls etc.
                  ...and so it goes.

                • ztrack@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                    In a message dated 12/31/07 10:47:19 AM, randy@... writes:

                    > Can you tell us what two new product lines from Germany are being added (or
                    > at least tell us when you CAN tell us)?  Are these in addition to the
                    > HighTech and Luetke lines that were added recently?

                    Randy,

                    Yes, these are in addition to HTM and Luetke. Once we have the lines up on
                    Ztrack Center, we will make the announcements. Stay tuned!

                    Rob

                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    Dublin, OH 43016
                    phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                    http://www.ztrack.com/
                    Distributor American Z Line

                  • Randall Smidt
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 3, 2008
                      Well, tell John to hurry up and get the info onto to ZTrack Center then. ;-)

                      Thanks,
                      Randy

                      ztrack@... wrote:

                      In a message dated 12/31/07 10:47:19 AM, randy@... writes:

                      > Can you tell us what two new product lines from Germany are being added (or
                      > at least tell us when you CAN tell us)? Are these in addition to the
                      > HighTech and Luetke lines that were added recently?

                      Randy,

                      Yes, these are in addition to HTM and Luetke. Once we have the lines up on
                      Ztrack Center, we will make the announcements. Stay tuned!

                      Rob

                      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                      Dublin, OH 43016
                      phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                      http://www.ztrack.com/
                      Distributor American Z Line

                    • Melissa Cull
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 3, 2008
                        Hi Rob,

                        I like the sound of the changes for 2008 especially the track plans (not my
                        strong point), the European coverage means Ztrack is the only magazine
                        printed in English.

                        I know I've promised you a couple of how to articles, I'll try and complete
                        them this year once I've tided my model workshop out and can find the ones I
                        built earlier to photograph - at the moment I can't get in there as it's a
                        mess of baseboards, boxes, tools and books....

                        Kind RegardZ

                        Melissa Cull
                        UK

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 4, 2008
                          In a message dated 1/3/08 10:47:45 AM, melissa.cull@...
                          writes:

                          > I'll try and complete
                          > them this year once I've tided my model workshop out and can find the ones I
                          > built earlier to photograph -- at the moment I can't get in there as it's a
                          > mess of baseboards, boxes, tools and books....

                          Melissa,

                          LOL! I had have to do the same thing. Before I can work on the layout, I
                          have to dig a path to it. It is getting better, but I have more clean up to do.

                          Best,
                          Rob

                          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                          Dublin, OH 43016
                          phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                          www.ztrack.com
                          www.ztrackcenter.com
                          Distributor American Z Line

                        • John Mui
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 4, 2008
                            Melissa and Rob, you need enlist the help of the basement cleaning
                            specialist, Randall Smidt. :D

                            John
                            >> them this year once I've tided my model workshop out and can find the
                            >> ones I
                            >> built earlier to photograph -- at the moment I can't get in there as it's
                            >> mess of baseboards, boxes, tools and books....
                            >>

                            > Melissa,
                            >
                            > LOL! I had have to do the same thing. Before I can work on the layout, I
                            > have to dig a path to it. It is getting better, but I have more clean up
                            > to do.
                            >
                            > Best,
                            > Rob
                            >

                            > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                            > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                            > Dublin, OH 43016
                            > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                            > www.ztrack.com
                            > www.ztrackcenter.com
                            > Distributor American Z Line

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Melissa Cull
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                              Hi Rob & John,

                              I don't have a basement:-( Just a tiny box room for my modelmaking room.

                              I've made a start over the seasonal holiday to dig a path to my workbench,
                              might get there by Easter:-(

                              If I let my Mom loose in there she would clear it in a day but her method
                              would be just hire a skip and chuck everything including my
                              models.....eeeeeeeeek!

                              I think I need a bit more IKEA storage systems then I can get it tidy
                              again.....

                              Kind RegardZ

                              Melissa
                              UK

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                                In a message dated 1/5/08 5:00:20 AM, melissa.cull@... writes:

                                > I think I need a bit more IKEA storage systems then I can get it tidy
                                > again.....

                                Same here! I use the Ikea three drawer cabinets for storage under the layout.
                                These have been great. Since I expanded the layout, I may need a few more
                                for storage.

                                Rob

                                Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                Dublin, OH 43016
                                phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                                www.ztrack.com
                                www.ztrackcenter.com

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                                  Hi Rob,

                                  Perhaps the Z scale community should commision IKEA to do dedicated pine Z
                                  scale storage systems as many of us use there products for either storing or
                                  mounting out layouts on??

                                  IKEA seem to like storage and getting as much into as small a space as
                                  possible so would be ideal or perhaps they would like to sponsor a Swedish Z
                                  scale train (preferably steam) - even better:-)

                                  My modelmaking room got in such as mess also because I had brought new
                                  furniture for it which is just the right height for me to put the larger Z
                                  scale layout on I'm building but was to be temporaily used for my bedroom
                                  until I found a nice pine wardrobe and a couple of chest of drawers for that
                                  but they stopped the range I was collecting before I completed the set as
                                  IKEA have a habit of doing so am still awaiting replacing my bedroom
                                  furniture so the modelmaking room furniture can go in the correct room.

                                  Kind RegardZ

                                  Melissa
                                  UK