Ztrack, Plans for 2008

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 31, 2007
      With today being the last day of 2007, I thought I would share our plans and
      thoughts for 2008. First, I would like to announce that two long running
      columns will be ending. Jeffrey MacHan's Last Spike will end with the
      January/February issue. This long running column has chronicled Jeffrey's VEC and travels.
      Over 40 articles have appeared in Ztrack during the past 7 years. It has been
      an amazing run.

      John Bartolotto's Z Web Search column is also ending. At this time, it
      appears the November/December 2007 column will be his last. John has been sharing
      amazing Z scale-oriented web sites in every issue of Ztrack. John is moving on,
      as is his column. Of course both will live on in our back issues!

      We are sorry to lose these outstanding columns, but we are very grateful for
      the work Jeffrey and John have done. Thank you to you both!

      With one door closing, another opens. I feel there are areas of the Z scale
      community and interests that we need to enhance our coverage on. The first area
      is track plans. We have been trying to increase track plans in Ztrack, but
      with little success. We are looking for track plans of Marklin track,
      Micro-Trains track, flex track and even module configurations. Ztrack is also looking to
      add a column for someone who can help us create track plans, associated art
      and graphics as well as conceptual plans. If you are interested, please contact
      us off-line.

      The second area we would like to focus on is module clubs and modules. We
      would like to see at least one article in every issue of Ztrack dedicated to
      modules. This would include club news and a featured module of the issue. I think
      modules are one of the most exciting aspects of Z today. I think it is
      important we share the work of module builders with the Z community. The
      November/December 2007 issue of Ztrack will feature Robert Ray's Time Saver Module. We
      hope this article will be a kick off to regular module features.

      The third area is increased coverage of European Z layouts. About 40% of our
      readers are interested in European prototypes. We need to increase our
      coverage of these areas. Finally, we are looking for more how-to and instructional
      articles.

      We see so much amazing work being done on the forums, that it is amazing. I
      do hope and encourage those doing this work to submit articles to Ztrack. A
      large portion of our readers do not follow the forums and we would love to share
      your creations with our complete readership.

      Ztrack is also working to increase our page count and content. Deane Shepard
      is working extremely hard to bring in new advertisers, which will allow Ztrack
      to grow and increase our content. This is not necessarily an easy task, but
      Deane is already doing an exceptional job. Thank you Deane!

      The last area I want to talk about is the web. John Cubbin has created two
      outstanding websites for us. Ztrack.com is a beautiful site that promotes Ztrack
      incredibly well. We are planning to increase content on the site. John has
      visions of creating an HTML newsletter and we will be working on that in the new
      year.

      Ztrack Center is our new retail web site. Look for new products to appear in
      2008. Ztrack is in the process of bringing in two new lines from Germany,
      which will add almost 200 more products to the site. Thank you John for all of
      your hard work and dedication!

      Ztrack will continue to offer subscriber specials on AZL new releases and spec
      ial imprint cars from FR. We are also looking to continue special car runs
      with Micro-Trains.

      As we move into 2008, it looks like another exciting year for Z scale. Ztrack
      is growing and adapting as the scale grows. It is a wonderful time to be in
      Z!

      Happy New Year!
      Rob Kluz

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      Dublin, OH 43016
      phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
      http://www.ztrack.com/
      Distributor American Z Line

    • Randall Smidt
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 31, 2007
        Wow, I'll miss the two columns from long-time contributors Jeffrey M. and John B. I usually start my ZTrack from the back to catch John's and Jeffrey's columns first. ;-) I can completely understand life changes and needing to change plans, though, as if I recall correctly, I was guilty of committing to do the Club/module column over a year ago and was never able to deliver due to changes in my own life.

        I look forward to any new content that is added. I'm sure it will be great.

        Can you tell us what two new product lines from Germany are being added (or at least tell us when you CAN tell us)? Are these in addtion to the HighTech and Luetke lines that were added recently?

        Thanks,
        Randy Smidt

      • Thomas Creighton Sr

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 1, 2008
            I will surely miss Jeffery's and John's columns. But I look forward
            to a new ZTrack look and feel. Best of luck for 2008, Rob.

            Tom in Dallas

> [...]
            that in the new
            > year.
            >
            > Ztrack Center is our new retail web site. Look for new products to
            appear in
            > 2008. Ztrack is in the process of bringing in two new lines from
            Germany,
            > which will add almost 200 more products to the site. Thank you John
            for all of
            > your hard work and dedication!
            >
            > Ztrack will continue to offer subscriber specials on AZL new
            releases and spec
            > ial imprint cars from FR. We are also looking to continue special
            car runs
            > with Micro-Trains.
            >
            > As we move into 2008, it looks like another exciting year for Z
            scale. Ztrack
            > is growing and adapting as the scale grows. It is a wonderful time

          • Jeff BAZ-man
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 1, 2008
              I look forward to seeing other modules and layouts as many are not up
              on the web for others to see. Hopefully, nice quality images along
              with a track plan overview and a website link for further
              exploration. So many module pix have terrible lighting, gigantic
              overviews that don't show detail or select areas and often are poorly
              focused or use a flash to was out nearly everthing. This is going to
              be great to see other's ideas, especially the European ones as we
              only get periodic glimpses from posting.

              I agree with you about the forums. Many don't know about them or,
              prefer not to participate in them. I'm still looking for a good list
              of websites and references for Z scale to hand out at shows.

              I'm guilty about not submitting how-to's. This year was tight with
              double moves and a massive relayment of track on my Wye module. Now
              back to the detail work on a new work bench with camera on a goose
              neck so I can snap pictures without the excuse.

              Jeff
              SF Bay Area Z
              "The BAZ BoyZ"

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Browning" <thomascb2004@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              > that in the new
              > > year.
              > >
              > > Ztrack Center is our new retail web site. Look for new products
              > appear in
              > > 2008. Ztrack is in the process of bringing in two new lines from
              > Germany,
              > > which will add almost 200 more products to the site. Thank you
              John
              > for all of
              > > your hard work and dedication!
              > >
              > > Ztrack will continue to offer subscriber specials on AZL new
              > releases and spec
              > > ial imprint cars from FR. We are also looking to continue special
              > car runs
              > > with Micro-Trains.
              > >
              > > As we move into 2008, it looks like another exciting year for Z
              > scale. Ztrack
              > > is growing and adapting as the scale grows. It is a wonderful

            • Glen Chenier
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 1, 2008
                What Rob says...

                When submitting informative responses, files, items of general and
                useful Z Scale interest, you might want to also CC Rob at Ztrack @
                aol.com (remove spaces) for potential Ztrack Magazine print
                publication. Shared experiences are invaluable.

                <snip>....

                > We see so much amazing work being done on the forums, that it is
                amazing. I
                > do hope and encourage those doing this work to submit articles to
                Ztrack. A
                > large portion of our readers do not follow the forums and we would
                love to share
                > your creations with our complete readership.
                ...<snip>...
              • Bob Mitchell
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 1, 2008
                  Hi, Rob,

                  And thanks for that great message--I'm glad to be a
                  tiny part of your growing, Essential magazine, and
                  will keep in mind your wishes for pertinent articles
                  that you described.
                  I'm working on a "review on steriods": a compilation
                  of product reviews of three new laser micro-ply
                  residential building kits, comparing 'em, adding some
                  improvements, and perhaps depicting the three in a
                  scene. Suggestions?
                  To a great new year, and thanks for your magazine!

                  Best,

                  Bob Mitchell

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • Don A
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 1, 2008
                    Bob:

                    Why did you select micro-ply as opposed to three super good kits - or
                    will you also do a side-by-side on non-micro ply? I've built both
                    types and with care can not see any difference in the final results.

                    Thanks. ...don

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Bob Mitchell <miniatureerections@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hi, Rob,
                    >
                    > And thanks for that great message--I'm glad to be a
                    > tiny part of your growing, Essential magazine, and
                    > will keep in mind your wishes for pertinent articles
                    > that you described.
                    > I'm working on a "review on steriods": a compilation
                    > of product reviews of three new laser micro-ply
                    > residential building kits, comparing 'em, adding some
                    > improvements, and perhaps depicting the three in a
                    > scene. Suggestions?
                    > To a great new year, and thanks for your magazine!
                    >
                    > Best,
                    >
                    > Bob Mitchell

                    > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                  • Bob Mitchell
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                      Hi, Don,

                      I meant that mess. for Rob Kluz, but am a digi-bonehead, not that it's a big deal...

                      I just happened to acquire three laser-cut micro-ply residence kits in succession, so thought it might be a neat twist to review 'em as a gang, rather than do seperate product reviews for each. I have no special fetish for the manufacturing technique, but I do deeply admire artisans like Robert Ray, who can make that laser talk.

                      I'm wondering if it isn't "cricket" to compare the different manufacturer's model houses, as some do a better job than others? I know from expereince that some hobby periodicals don't like me "bashing" (read: saying one's better than another) kits, as that can translate to loss of advert dollars. I don't suspect Rob Kluz of that, but the situation does exist in our "little" world.
                      Since I blundered into the bigger Yahoo sphere, does anyone else have any ideas about these, or any, product reviews?

                      Hey, y'all,

                      Bob Mitchell

                    • Don A
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                        Well, I have built quite a number of kits of all types including
                        scratch. On the laser front there are three superb kits to look at -
                        Robert Ray's - also makes kits for MTL, Jason Alles [Fannocreek] and
                        Ben "Anemick" and there are others. There are also some brands way
                        low on the quality scale. These good kits all range from micro ply -
                        to regular wood - to plastic. Once a kit is finished I think you
                        would be hard pressed to say one's materials are any better than
                        another. It is really a case of using the best suited materials for
                        the kit being built. Alles's plastic wood chip hoppers are almost
                        dead-on for appearance since the plastic is so thin and smooth - and
                        he has some clever stiffeners that are prototypical. On the other
                        hand this material might not be too good for a building's walls etc.
                        ...and so it goes.

                      • ztrack@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                          In a message dated 12/31/07 10:47:19 AM, randy@... writes:

                          > Can you tell us what two new product lines from Germany are being added (or
                          > at least tell us when you CAN tell us)?  Are these in addition to the
                          > HighTech and Luetke lines that were added recently?

                          Randy,

                          Yes, these are in addition to HTM and Luetke. Once we have the lines up on
                          Ztrack Center, we will make the announcements. Stay tuned!

                          Rob

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 3, 2008
                            Well, tell John to hurry up and get the info onto to ZTrack Center then. ;-)

                            Thanks,
                            Randy

                            ztrack@... wrote:

                            In a message dated 12/31/07 10:47:19 AM, randy@... writes:

                            > Can you tell us what two new product lines from Germany are being added (or
                            > at least tell us when you CAN tell us)? Are these in addition to the
                            > HighTech and Luetke lines that were added recently?

                            Randy,

                            Yes, these are in addition to HTM and Luetke. Once we have the lines up on
                            Ztrack Center, we will make the announcements. Stay tuned!

                            Rob

                            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                            6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                            Dublin, OH 43016
                            phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                            http://www.ztrack.com/
                            Distributor American Z Line

                          • Melissa Cull
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 3, 2008
                              Hi Rob,

                              I like the sound of the changes for 2008 especially the track plans (not my
                              strong point), the European coverage means Ztrack is the only magazine
                              printed in English.

                              I know I've promised you a couple of how to articles, I'll try and complete
                              them this year once I've tided my model workshop out and can find the ones I
                              built earlier to photograph - at the moment I can't get in there as it's a
                              mess of baseboards, boxes, tools and books....

                              Kind RegardZ

                              Melissa Cull
                              UK

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 4, 2008
                                In a message dated 1/3/08 10:47:45 AM, melissa.cull@...
                                writes:

                                > I'll try and complete
                                > them this year once I've tided my model workshop out and can find the ones I
                                > built earlier to photograph -- at the moment I can't get in there as it's a
                                > mess of baseboards, boxes, tools and books....

                                Melissa,

                                LOL! I had have to do the same thing. Before I can work on the layout, I
                                have to dig a path to it. It is getting better, but I have more clean up to do.

                                Best,
                                Rob

                                Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                Dublin, OH 43016
                                phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                                www.ztrack.com
                                www.ztrackcenter.com
                                Distributor American Z Line

                              • John Mui
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 4, 2008
                                  Melissa and Rob, you need enlist the help of the basement cleaning
                                  specialist, Randall Smidt. :D

                                  John
                                  >> them this year once I've tided my model workshop out and can find the
                                  >> ones I
                                  >> built earlier to photograph -- at the moment I can't get in there as it's
                                  >> mess of baseboards, boxes, tools and books....
                                  >>

                                  > Melissa,
                                  >
                                  > LOL! I had have to do the same thing. Before I can work on the layout, I
                                  > have to dig a path to it. It is getting better, but I have more clean up
                                  > to do.
                                  >
                                  > Best,
                                  > Rob
                                  >

                                  > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                  > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                  > Dublin, OH 43016
                                  > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                                  > www.ztrack.com
                                  > www.ztrackcenter.com
                                  > Distributor American Z Line

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Melissa Cull
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                                    Hi Rob & John,

                                    I don't have a basement:-( Just a tiny box room for my modelmaking room.

                                    I've made a start over the seasonal holiday to dig a path to my workbench,
                                    might get there by Easter:-(

                                    If I let my Mom loose in there she would clear it in a day but her method
                                    would be just hire a skip and chuck everything including my
                                    models.....eeeeeeeeek!

                                    I think I need a bit more IKEA storage systems then I can get it tidy
                                    again.....

                                    Kind RegardZ

                                    Melissa
                                    UK

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                                      In a message dated 1/5/08 5:00:20 AM, melissa.cull@... writes:

                                      > I think I need a bit more IKEA storage systems then I can get it tidy
                                      > again.....

                                      Same here! I use the Ikea three drawer cabinets for storage under the layout.
                                      These have been great. Since I expanded the layout, I may need a few more
                                      for storage.

                                      Rob

                                      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                      Dublin, OH 43016
                                      phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                                      www.ztrack.com
                                      www.ztrackcenter.com

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                                        Hi Rob,

                                        Perhaps the Z scale community should commision IKEA to do dedicated pine Z
                                        scale storage systems as many of us use there products for either storing or
                                        mounting out layouts on??

                                        IKEA seem to like storage and getting as much into as small a space as
                                        possible so would be ideal or perhaps they would like to sponsor a Swedish Z
                                        scale train (preferably steam) - even better:-)

                                        My modelmaking room got in such as mess also because I had brought new
                                        furniture for it which is just the right height for me to put the larger Z
                                        scale layout on I'm building but was to be temporaily used for my bedroom
                                        until I found a nice pine wardrobe and a couple of chest of drawers for that
                                        but they stopped the range I was collecting before I completed the set as
                                        IKEA have a habit of doing so am still awaiting replacing my bedroom
                                        furniture so the modelmaking room furniture can go in the correct room.

                                        Kind RegardZ

                                        Melissa
                                        UK