Re: Very old newcomer

  • Don Avila
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 26, 2007
      Now that is just unfair - Phoenix Oregon. Halfway between Joe/MTL and
      Loren and less than 5 miles to either. Unfair!!! ...don

      > Hello Steve,
      >
      > Welcome to the scale! Like you, I too have been shrinking
      > scales; HO, N to Z. I've enjoyed all of them but none
      > more so than the small ingenious little trains creeping
      > around my small spaces.
      >
      > You'll find the entire group relaxed and often very informative.
      > Sure we get sidetracked on pet issues from time to time, but
      > name a RR group that doesn't ;>)
      >
      > The cost of Z scale is in the very precise and labor intensive
      > work needed by manufacturers to bring home a satisfying
      > performance, whether engines, track, structures or even
      > trees! But it eventually gets done and the results are
      > often very charming indeed. And with the growth of Z scale
      > we are beginning to see more and more competitive prices
      > for engines, rolling stock and track.
      >
      > Checkout Jurg Rudi's Rosetown pictures
      > of his Z scale modules some time:
      > http://www.rosetown.ch
      > One of the finest adventures in fine detail modeling you'll ever see!
      >
      > I hope to see you on the forum from time to time,
      >
      > Reynard Wellman
      > http://www.micronart.com
      > On Dec 26, 2007, at 2:40 PM, stevegail wrote:
      >
      > > Greetings from Phoenix--Phoenix, Oregon that is. I'm a newcomer to Z
      > > scale but I've been model railroading for nearly 45 years. It seems
      > > that I've been going smaller in scale while others my age are going in
      > > the opposite direction.
      > > Right now I have no rolling stock or engines but I am building
      > > structures for a future layout. The first kit I'm working on is Robert
      > > Ray's Issaquah Station. It is by far one of the best kits, in any
      > > scale, that I have ever worked on.
      > > I hope that my initial experience with Z scale is an indication of
      > > good
      > > times ahead.
      > > ---Steve from the other Phoenix

    • Reynard Wellman
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 26, 2007
        Hello Steve,

        Welcome to the scale! Like you, I too have been shrinking
        scales; HO, N to Z. I've enjoyed all of them but none
        more so than the small ingenious little trains creeping
        around my small spaces.

        You'll find the entire group relaxed and often very informative.
        Sure we get sidetracked on pet issues from time to time, but
        name a RR group that doesn't ;>)

        The cost of Z scale is in the very precise and labor intensive
        work needed by manufacturers to bring home a satisfying
        performance, whether engines, track, structures or even
        trees! But it eventually gets done and the results are
        often very charming indeed. And with the growth of Z scale
        we are beginning to see more and more competitive prices
        for engines, rolling stock and track.

        Checkout Jurg Rudi's Rosetown pictures
        of his Z scale modules some time:
        http://www.rosetown.ch
        One of the finest adventures in fine detail modeling you'll ever see!

        I hope to see you on the forum from time to time,

        Reynard Wellman
        http://www.micronart.com
        On Dec 26, 2007, at 2:40 PM, stevegail wrote:

        > Greetings from Phoenix--Phoenix, Oregon that is. I'm a newcomer to Z
        > scale but I've been model railroading for nearly 45 years. It seems
        > that I've been going smaller in scale while others my age are going in
        > the opposite direction.
        > Right now I have no rolling stock or engines but I am building
        > structures for a future layout. The first kit I'm working on is Robert
        > Ray's Issaquah Station. It is by far one of the best kits, in any
        > scale, that I have ever worked on.
        > I hope that my initial experience with Z scale is an indication of
        > good
        > times ahead.
        > ---Steve from the other Phoenix

      • Zane H. Healy
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 27, 2007
          At 2:17 AM +0000 12/27/07, Don Avila wrote:
          >Now that is just unfair - Phoenix Oregon. Halfway between Joe/MTL and
          >Loren and less than 5 miles to either. Unfair!!! ...don

          Heh heh... Here I was thinking he picked the perfect location to
          live if he's going to get into Z Scale! :^)

          Zane

          | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |
        • stevegail
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 27, 2007
            All it took to arrive at the perfect location was two degrees in
            Geography and a whole lot of luck (-;
            ---Steve

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

            > At 2:17 AM +0000 12/27/07, Don Avila wrote:
            > >Now that is just unfair - Phoenix Oregon. Halfway between Joe/MTL
            and
            > >Loren and less than 5 miles to either. Unfair!!! ...don
            >
            > Heh heh... Here I was thinking he picked the perfect location to
            > live if he's going to get into Z Scale! :^)
            >
            > Zane
            >

            > --
            > | Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Administrator |
            > | healyzh@... (primary) | OpenVMS Enthusiast |
            > | MONK::HEALYZH (DECnet) | Classic Computer Collector |
            > +----------------------------------+----------------------------+
            > | Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing, |
            > | PDP-10 Emulation and Zane's Computer Museum. |
            > | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |

          • Loren
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 27, 2007
              Steve,

              I see where you took my advice and jumped in and said "hello" and also gave
              Robert some cudos and of course for good reason, Robert is in my opinion the
              best laser kit builder in the world.....there, that ought to earn me at
              least one atta boy with Robert. Seriously, everyone I know thinks Robert is
              the Grand Poo Ba of laser kits.

              Mean while back at the ranch, everyone, please welcome Steve from the other
              Phoenix. Steve lives about 4 miles from MTL so he is in great model
              railroading country.
              I've seen some of Steve's collections and kit building examples and now that
              he is discovering the fun of Z, Joe and I will have to get him to join us
              for breakfast and get him indoctrinated, uh, I mean introduced to module
              building.

              Karin and I are finally getting our family room cleaned out and ready to
              receive modules, train buffs, and other interested parties so things are
              looking up.
              2008 promises to provide lots of new products from MTL, AZL, and of course
              the cottage industries that are all working to provide more Z products and
              also make a buck 56 cents. or there abouts.

              Glad you're in the groove now Steve.....don't be a stranger on the different
              Z sites. These Z folks are down right helpful, fun to get to know and also
              just a might talented.......yes sir!!

              > Greetings from Phoenix--Phoenix, Oregon that is. I'm a newcomer to Z
              > scale but I've been model railroading for nearly 45 years. It seems
              > that I've been going smaller in scale while others my age are going in
              > the opposite direction.
              > Right now I have no rolling stock or engines but I am building
              > structures for a future layout. The first kit I'm working on is Robert
              > Ray's Issaquah Station. It is by far one of the best kits, in any
              > scale, that I have ever worked on.
              > I hope that my initial experience with Z scale is an indication of good
              > times ahead.
              > ---Steve from the other Phoenix

            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 29, 2007
                Welcome here and in this wonderfully crazy scale
                Steve! As there are more fine quality products in Z
                scale, I believe you'll find your path and enjoy this
                scale as much as us here!

                Happy new year,

                Dom