Re: [z_scale] Boxcab review in Ztrack J-F 2000

  • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001
      Dear Jeff,

      it is an oldy, I am refering to (March 10th 2000).
      With an E-Mail of this day you commented the boxcab of Harald Freudenreich.
      Your concern was, if this loco is matching MTL couplings.
      And your conclusion was at this time: 'NO'!
      And then you went on stating: Look's like I'm gonna stick with my 0-6-0
      switcher.
      Now, on that statement I am coming in. What type of switcher you are referring
      to???

      It is a wild guess of me, when I suppose that you may refer to the Maerklin loco
      BR 361 (88641). This is the loco I (tried) to convert to some sort of EMD NW5.

      I would be glad to get your answer, to prepare a similar switcher for the
      Sinsheim show.

      Greetings

      Dieter

      Dieter W. Nolte
      E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
    • jmac_han@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001
        Hello Dieter,

        Good to hear from you. Old news is good news, all the same ;-)

        The 0-6-0 switcher I was referring to is the 8800 steamer.

        Good news concerning the boxcab. I am convinced that I will be
        able to add MTL couplers to it. Harald Freudenreich agrees with
        me but he says that my solution of trimming the back end off of
        the MTL coupler box is not a "professional" solution that he can
        offer his customers. He will be offering a conversion package for
        the boxcab with new side frames for the trucks and new coupler
        base plate.

        My solution requires a modification to a pair of MTL couplers to fit
        close to the trucks. Of course, it will be necessary to cut the
        verticle pin off of the boxcab truck base plate. I suggest that you
        do what I did, before you make any modification to the original
        boxcab parts, get a set of replacement parts, just in case!

        You'll get to see the boxcab in Sinsheim, Dieter. I will probably
        write an article on the conversion for Ztrack.

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey