Transformers and DCC for Z

  • Wild Zontar
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2001
      Hi all,

      I'm new to the group and Z scale. I've been able to find a lot of info on
      the net about Z, except for who makes transformers (other than Marklin)? I
      was just on MRC's site and found nothing for Z. Is Marklin the only show
      in town? From what I've read, the Marklin transformers aren't that great
      at slow speeds. Is this true? What other brands are being used for Z?

      I don't have a layout at this point, or any Z equipment, I'm just in the
      early planning stages. I am considering DCC if it's feasible for Z and (as
      noted above) the transformers available for Z. Another concern about DCC
      is getting the decoders into the locos. I read one article (at Z:220.com)
      about converting a Marklin loco to DCC, however, I anticipate running
      Micro-Trains locos, since my interest is North American diesel. Anybody
      convert a MTL to DCC? Are there any plans by MTL or Marklin to manufacture
      locos as DCC ready or with decoders, like they have with N scale locos?

      Any info, advice, or comments would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Greg
    • bjkronen@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2001
        Welcome to Z, Greg:

        > I'm new to the group and Z scale. I've been able to find a lot of info on
        > the net about Z, except for who makes transformers (other than Marklin)? I
        > was just on MRC's site and found nothing for Z. Is Marklin the only show
        > in town?

        No. MicroTrains sells a Z scale power pack for around $30 (plus or minus 5
        depending on where you shop).

        Its actually an MRC 1300 that has a new front panel over it to mechanically
        block the throttle knob at the 2:00 (14:00) point in its rotation. An
        unmodified MRC 1300 puts out 13volts at full rotation. The mechanical block
        keeps it from putting out "too much" voltage.

        A significant number of Z scalers use MRC 1300's and 2800's (double throttle
        version, few more watts) to run Z trains. We ran the monster layout (16 scale
        miles) at the National Train Show in St. Louis on a MRC 2800. It didn't
        bother anything we put on the track over the 3 days of continuous running.

        The "processed" waveform they put out will make "many" of the Z locomotives
        do slightly better at slow speeds when compared to pure DC packs. Mind you,
        3 pole motors are stubborn beasts and will never run well at "creep" speeds.
        5 pole motors are an entirely different story - they "creep" very, very well.

        If you do use a 1300 or 2800, you must provide some method of preventing the
        knob from going past the 2:00 (14:00) position, or your diesels may become
        steamers very, very quickly. Mind you, at the high noon position of the
        throttle, most Marklin loco's are doing a scale 310 miles per hour, so
        blocking it doesn't "cost" you any usable range anyway.

        And you can really use ANY pure DC power pack, so long as you mechanically
        block the throttle so that it cannot apply more than 8 volts to the rails.
        Don't forget to do that. Accidents happen. Trains are expensive to replace.

        I'd suggest you use the "search" feature of this group for the words "5 pole
        motor" and "pulse" to learn more (good, bad, and ugly). There have been
        many, many posts on this topic in the past.

        > I am considering DCC if it's feasible

        Check the welcome page to this list, for a link to a Z Scale DCC list loaded
        with folks who play with DCC all year long.

        Regards,
        Bill Kronenberger
        Houston
      • ahellary
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2001
          hi there

          DCC is a definate goer for Z scale :)))) i use a digitrax chief and winlok
          as for the transformer i have a 16v ac as the system knocks it down to 12 on
          the rails and the decoders limit the max voltage down to 9 ( but this is
          settable to any voltage you like) the decoders i use are digitrax's DZ121
          and dn121 ... i also have transponding and block detection running.... to me
          dcc is the best thing since sliced bread and i would not go back to dc for
          any reason . dcc opens up a whole new way of running your trains ( notice i
          didnt say layout as its the trains you drive not the track).. i will soon be
          putting up a how to install a decoder on my web page (
          www.nccnet.co.uk/ahellary) .. so that is as soon as i have worked out my new
          digital camera :)

          Ahellary
          > > I'm new to the group and Z scale. I've been able to find a lot of info
          on
          > > the net about Z, except for who makes transformers (other than
          Marklin)? I
          > > was just on MRC's site and found nothing for Z. Is Marklin the only
          show
          > > in town?
          >
          > No. MicroTrains sells a Z scale power pack for around $30 (plus or minus
          5
          > depending on where you shop).
          >
          > Its actually an MRC 1300 that has a new front panel over it to
          mechanically
          > block the throttle knob at the 2:00 (14:00) point in its rotation. An
          > unmodified MRC 1300 puts out 13volts at full rotation. The mechanical
          block
          > keeps it from putting out "too much" voltage.
          >
          > A significant number of Z scalers use MRC 1300's and 2800's (double
          throttle
          > version, few more watts) to run Z trains. We ran the monster layout (16
          scale
          > miles) at the National Train Show in St. Louis on a MRC 2800. It didn't
          > bother anything we put on the track over the 3 days of continuous running.
          >
          > The "processed" waveform they put out will make "many" of the Z
          locomotives
          > do slightly better at slow speeds when compared to pure DC packs. Mind
          you,
          > 3 pole motors are stubborn beasts and will never run well at "creep"
          speeds.
          > 5 pole motors are an entirely different story - they "creep" very, very
          well.

          > If you do use a 1300 or 2800, you must provide some method of preventing
          the
          > knob from going past the 2:00 (14:00) position, or your diesels may become
          > steamers very, very quickly. Mind you, at the high noon position of the
          > throttle, most Marklin loco's are doing a scale 310 miles per hour, so
          > blocking it doesn't "cost" you any usable range anyway.
          >
          > And you can really use ANY pure DC power pack, so long as you mechanically
          > block the throttle so that it cannot apply more than 8 volts to the rails.
          > Don't forget to do that. Accidents happen. Trains are expensive to
          replace.

          > I'd suggest you use the "search" feature of this group for the words "5
          pole
          > motor" and "pulse" to learn more (good, bad, and ugly). There have been
          > many, many posts on this topic in the past.
          >
          > > I am considering DCC if it's feasible
          >
          > Check the welcome page to this list, for a link to a Z Scale DCC list
          loaded
          > with folks who play with DCC all year long.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Bill Kronenberger
          > Houston

        • John Jabour
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
            Greg
            Look at the DCC faq on this list and it explains how to put
            DCC in a Mt F7
            John