Re: New pics posted - after about a year and a half away from the hobby

  • Terry J.N. Rowsell
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
      Well Loren,

      I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
      vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have to
      say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
      that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
      over.

      In just the while I was out of the loop I have seen a growth in Z.
      That's a good sign. I see a teaser add from Micro-Trains promising
      more.

      Marie and I are moving into a bigger house. I'll have some room to
      progress beyond the briefcase layout stage!

      Congrats on the nuptuals. :)

      Cheers,
      Terry

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Loren" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

      > Terry,
      >
      > It is great to have you back. You were posting so regularly some
      time back,
      > and then as I well know, you did suffer some very painful loses.
      >
      > Time has a tendency to heal wounds and we are glad you are once
      again
      > involved.
      >
      > Love those tank pictures, they look pretty good even though they
      are a bit
      > small.
      >
      > Now don't you wish someone would wake up and start cranking out a
      lot of Z
      > scale autos, military models, airplanes, tanks, boats, etc?
      >
      > I think as time goes on the demand will continue to grow and maybe
      some
      > large plastic model makers will take a chance on Z scale......I'll
      buy!

      > Anyway, long time you been silent, so lets continue to hear from
      you more.

      > Welcome,
      > Loren

      Snyder
      > > (thanks!). I dropped off the map due to three personal tragedies
      > > that came close together, but that is in the past.
      > >
      > > I have had some 1:285 wargaming tank kits laying around for a long
      > > while and decided to build some of them. I posed them on my two Z
      > > briefcase layouts to take pics of them and thought they looked
      > > great. 1:285 is about 77% the size of 1:220 (let's chaulk that up
      > > to "selective compression"). With big military vehicles that is
      hard
      > > to notice in our small Z scale.
      > >
      > > The German Panther G tanks are on my scenicked Marklin Solar
      > > briefcase, while my WWII Russian T-34/85 tanks,and modern Canadian
      > > equipment are on my almost finished Canadian Pacific briefcase.
      The
      > > Yellow highway trucks are modified WWII 1:285 U.S. Army trucks,
      as is
      > > the blue and silver truck on the Solar layout. All of these
      trucks
      > > started out as identicle GHQ pewter kits.
      > >
      > > I am planning a larger Z layout based on Canada in the 1980's.
      Now I
      > > will include a military base with Canadian military equipment.
      And
      > > the 1:285 wargaming field I am planning may just have to have a Z
      > > scale WWII German armoured train run through it!
      > >
      > > My modern Canadian Leopard tank riding a Canadian Pacific flatcar
      is
      > > neat (see pic). The first time I saw a Canadian Leopard up close
      was
      > > in 1994, when I joined the Army Reserves. They were sitting on RR
      > > flatcars.
      > >
      > > I just read the Swiss Alps Z article in the December Model
      > > Railroader. Cool or what!? Wow! (The Swiss use Leopard tanks -
      > > maybe in the future we'll see one among the hills...)
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Terry

    • Loren
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
        Hey Terry, I was just following your lead. I figure if you can have a train
        loving wife, then so can I.........and I got me one!
        Thanks,

        > I drop off for a year and look what happens! I was not around to
        > chaperone you kids.
        >
        > CONGRATS!
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Terry

      • Zane H. Healy
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
          At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
          >I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
          >vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have to
          >say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
          >that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
          >over.

          I assume you're using Micro-Armor tanks? I'm glad to hear that these
          appear to be of use, might finally put some of my stash together. I
          bought a bunch just prior to getting out of the military, and they've
          been sitting in a box for years. They're old enough though that they
          might be lead rather than Pewter.

          I'll have to break them out one of these years and see about doing up
          a few for use on my Z-Scale layout. :^)

          Zane

          | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |
        • Randall Smidt
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
            Has anyone used the SkyTrex 1/200 miniatures or any other 1/200 pieces? The 1/285th pieces are a little too small for many pieces for my taste, but good for forced compression. I think the Z Panzer tanks look great, but wrong era for me.

            Randy

            "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:
            At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
            >I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
            >vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have to
            >say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
            >that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
            >over.

            I assume you're using Micro-Armor tanks? I'm glad to hear that these
            appear to be of use, might finally put some of my stash together. I
            bought a bunch just prior to getting out of the military, and they've
            been sitting in a box for years. They're old enough though that they
            might be lead rather than Pewter.

            I'll have to break them out one of these years and see about doing up
            a few for use on my Z-Scale layout. :^)

            Zane

            Recent Activity

            9
            New Members

            44
            New Photos

            1
            New Files

            Visit Your Group
            Yahoo! News
            Kevin Sites
            Get coverage of
            world crises.

            Yahoo! Finance
            It's Now Personal
            Guides, news,
            advice & more.

            Yahoo! Groups
            Get info and support
            on Samsung HDTVs
            and devices.

            .

          • John & Sue Bartolotto
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
              Randy,

              I have and highly recommend them over the GHQ Micro-Armor 1/285. The
              SkyTrex 1/200 are much closer to Z than the GHQ one and are just as
              detailed.

              John

              _____

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 3, 2007
                  Randy,

                  As Orville said to Wilbur "You're Wright!"

                  It was the very first article I wrote for Ztrack. SkyTrex is the only 1/200
                  source for numerous armored vehicles. Z-Panzer, <http://www.z-panzer.com/>
                  http://www.z-panzer.com/, emails: <mailto:info@...>
                  info@... and <mailto:orders@...> orders@... has
                  perfect Z scale (1:220) World War II era (1939-1945) tanks and armored
                  vehicles.

                  John

                  _____

                  John & Sue Bartolotto <jsbart@pjsnet1. <mailto:jsbart%40pjsnet1.de> de>

                  From: z_scale@yahoogroups <mailto:z_scale%40yahoogroups.com> .com

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 3, 2007
                    Hi Zane,

                    I am talking about GHQ Micro-Armour, although some of my stuff is
                    from C in C. All Pewter 1:285. The pewter takes detail better than
                    the old lead models and withou the HAZMAT of lead.

                    I have never heard of 1:200 SkyTrex until I began this thread. I
                    will check them out. As I also wargame, I will generally still lean
                    towayd 1:285, but some 1:200 may look dandy on the Z layout!

                    Cheers,
                    Terry

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

                    > At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
                    > >I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
                    > >vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have
                    > >say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
                    > >that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
                    > >over.
                    >
                    > I assume you're using Micro-Armor tanks? I'm glad to hear that
                    these
                    > appear to be of use, might finally put some of my stash together.
                    > bought a bunch just prior to getting out of the military, and
                    they've
                    > been sitting in a box for years. They're old enough though that
                    they
                    > might be lead rather than Pewter.
                    >
                    > I'll have to break them out one of these years and see about doing
                    up
                    > a few for use on my Z-Scale layout. :^)
                    >
                    > Zane
                    >

                    > --
                    > | Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Administrator |
                    > | healyzh@... (primary) | OpenVMS Enthusiast |
                    > | MONK::HEALYZH (DECnet) | Classic Computer Collector |
                    > | Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing, |
                    > | PDP-10 Emulation and Zane's Computer Museum. |
                    > | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |

                  • de Champeaux Dominique
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 8, 2007
                      Welcome back here Terry!