Re: New pics posted - after about a year and a half away from the hobby

  • Terry J.N. Rowsell
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
      Hi Melissa,

      Z spitfires? Interesting...

      Do you have a link or more info? You could email me offline if you
      like.

      Cheers,
      Terry

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Terry,
      >
      > Sorry to hear you've had a awful time, two close family tragedies
      in our
      > family in 2005 were bad enough but to have 3 I can only imagine how
      painful
      > that must have been.
      >
      > Sounds an interesting themed layout.
      >
      > If you need any Z scale Spitfires I have a few left. As well as
      being the
      > British main fighter plane some Canadians and Polish flew them in
      WWII.

      > Kind RegardZ
      >
      > Melissa
      > UK
      >
      > melissa.cull@...
      >

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > I was active on this list up to a little over a year ago. I got a
      > lot of help and encouragement back then from folks like Loren Snyder
      > (thanks!). I dropped off the map due to three personal tragedies
      > that came close together, but that is in the past.
      >
      > I have had some 1:285 wargaming tank kits laying around for a long
      > while and decided to build some of them. I posed them on my two Z
      > briefcase layouts to take pics of them and thought they looked
      > great. 1:285 is about 77% the size of 1:220 (let's chaulk that up
      > to "selective compression"). With big military vehicles that is hard
      > to notice in our small Z scale.
      >
      > The German Panther G tanks are on my scenicked Marklin Solar
      > briefcase, while my WWII Russian T-34/85 tanks,and modern Canadian
      > equipment are on my almost finished Canadian Pacific briefcase. The
      > Yellow highway trucks are modified WWII 1:285 U.S. Army trucks, as
      is
      > the blue and silver truck on the Solar layout. All of these trucks
      > started out as identicle GHQ pewter kits.
      >
      > I am planning a larger Z layout based on Canada in the 1980's. Now I
      > will include a military base with Canadian military equipment. And
      > the 1:285 wargaming field I am planning may just have to have a Z
      > scale WWII German armoured train run through it!
      >
      > My modern Canadian Leopard tank riding a Canadian Pacific flatcar is
      > neat (see pic). The first time I saw a Canadian Leopard up close was
      > in 1994, when I joined the Army Reserves. They were sitting on RR
      > flatcars.
      >
      > I just read the Swiss Alps Z article in the December Model
      > Railroader. Cool or what!? Wow! (The Swiss use Leopard tanks -
      > maybe in the future we'll see one among the hills...)
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Terry

    • Terry J.N. Rowsell
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
        Well Loren,

        I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
        vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have to
        say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
        that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
        over.

        In just the while I was out of the loop I have seen a growth in Z.
        That's a good sign. I see a teaser add from Micro-Trains promising
        more.

        Marie and I are moving into a bigger house. I'll have some room to
        progress beyond the briefcase layout stage!

        Congrats on the nuptuals. :)

        Cheers,
        Terry

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Loren" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

        > Terry,
        >
        > It is great to have you back. You were posting so regularly some
        time back,
        > and then as I well know, you did suffer some very painful loses.
        >
        > Time has a tendency to heal wounds and we are glad you are once
        again
        > involved.
        >
        > Love those tank pictures, they look pretty good even though they
        are a bit
        > small.
        >
        > Now don't you wish someone would wake up and start cranking out a
        lot of Z
        > scale autos, military models, airplanes, tanks, boats, etc?
        >
        > I think as time goes on the demand will continue to grow and maybe
        some
        > large plastic model makers will take a chance on Z scale......I'll
        buy!

        > Anyway, long time you been silent, so lets continue to hear from
        you more.

        > Welcome,
        > Loren

      • Loren
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
          Hey Terry, I was just following your lead. I figure if you can have a train
          loving wife, then so can I.........and I got me one!
          Thanks,

          > I drop off for a year and look what happens! I was not around to
          > chaperone you kids.
          >
          > CONGRATS!
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Terry

        • Zane H. Healy
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
            At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
            >I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
            >vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have to
            >say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
            >that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
            >over.

            I assume you're using Micro-Armor tanks? I'm glad to hear that these
            appear to be of use, might finally put some of my stash together. I
            bought a bunch just prior to getting out of the military, and they've
            been sitting in a box for years. They're old enough though that they
            might be lead rather than Pewter.

            I'll have to break them out one of these years and see about doing up
            a few for use on my Z-Scale layout. :^)

            Zane

            | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |
          • Randall Smidt
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
              Has anyone used the SkyTrex 1/200 miniatures or any other 1/200 pieces? The 1/285th pieces are a little too small for many pieces for my taste, but good for forced compression. I think the Z Panzer tanks look great, but wrong era for me.

              Randy

              "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:
              At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
              >I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
              >vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have to
              >say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
              >that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
              >over.

              I assume you're using Micro-Armor tanks? I'm glad to hear that these
              appear to be of use, might finally put some of my stash together. I
              bought a bunch just prior to getting out of the military, and they've
              been sitting in a box for years. They're old enough though that they
              might be lead rather than Pewter.

              I'll have to break them out one of these years and see about doing up
              a few for use on my Z-Scale layout. :^)

              Zane

              Recent Activity

              9
              New Members

              44
              New Photos

              1
              New Files

              Visit Your Group
              Yahoo! News
              Kevin Sites
              Get coverage of
              world crises.

              Yahoo! Finance
              It's Now Personal
              Guides, news,
              advice & more.

              Yahoo! Groups
              Get info and support
              on Samsung HDTVs
              and devices.

              .

            • John & Sue Bartolotto
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                Randy,

                I have and highly recommend them over the GHQ Micro-Armor 1/285. The
                SkyTrex 1/200 are much closer to Z than the GHQ one and are just as
                detailed.

                John

                _____

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 3, 2007
                    Randy,

                    As Orville said to Wilbur "You're Wright!"

                    It was the very first article I wrote for Ztrack. SkyTrex is the only 1/200
                    source for numerous armored vehicles. Z-Panzer, <http://www.z-panzer.com/>
                    http://www.z-panzer.com/, emails: <mailto:info@...>
                    info@... and <mailto:orders@...> orders@... has
                    perfect Z scale (1:220) World War II era (1939-1945) tanks and armored
                    vehicles.

                    John

                    _____

                    John & Sue Bartolotto <jsbart@pjsnet1. <mailto:jsbart%40pjsnet1.de> de>

                    From: z_scale@yahoogroups <mailto:z_scale%40yahoogroups.com> .com

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 3, 2007
                      Hi Zane,

                      I am talking about GHQ Micro-Armour, although some of my stuff is
                      from C in C. All Pewter 1:285. The pewter takes detail better than
                      the old lead models and withou the HAZMAT of lead.

                      I have never heard of 1:200 SkyTrex until I began this thread. I
                      will check them out. As I also wargame, I will generally still lean
                      towayd 1:285, but some 1:200 may look dandy on the Z layout!

                      Cheers,
                      Terry

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

                      > At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
                      > >I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
                      > >vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have
                      > >say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
                      > >that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
                      > >over.
                      >
                      > I assume you're using Micro-Armor tanks? I'm glad to hear that
                      these
                      > appear to be of use, might finally put some of my stash together.
                      > bought a bunch just prior to getting out of the military, and
                      they've
                      > been sitting in a box for years. They're old enough though that
                      they
                      > might be lead rather than Pewter.
                      >
                      > I'll have to break them out one of these years and see about doing
                      up
                      > a few for use on my Z-Scale layout. :^)
                      >
                      > Zane
                      >

                      > --
                      > | Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Administrator |
                      > | healyzh@... (primary) | OpenVMS Enthusiast |
                      > | MONK::HEALYZH (DECnet) | Classic Computer Collector |
                      > | Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing, |
                      > | PDP-10 Emulation and Zane's Computer Museum. |
                      > | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |

                    • de Champeaux Dominique
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 8, 2007
                        Welcome back here Terry!