Re: New pics posted - after about a year and a half away from the hobby

  • Terry J.N. Rowsell
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
      !!!!

      I drop off for a year and look what happens! I was not around to
      chaperone you kids.

      CONGRATS!

      Cheers,
      Terry

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Karin E. Schwarzer" <karin@...>
      wrote:

      > Welcome back Terry!!!
      >
      > You have been in our prayers for so long that its good to hear from
      you
      > again.
      >
      > While you were gone... well, I up and left Alaska to marry Loren
      this summer
      > We are now a happy Z duo. If you don't mind Loren and I would
      love to get
      > a personal email from you to hear how you two are doing up there.
      He flew
      > up to Bellingham to help drive my rig the rest of the way here when
      I got
      > off the ferry. We thought it would have been nice to look you up.
      Glad to
      > know things are looking up. Getting back into Z is a good sign!
      >
      > Karin Snyder

    • Terry J.N. Rowsell
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
        Hi Melissa,

        Z spitfires? Interesting...

        Do you have a link or more info? You could email me offline if you
        like.

        Cheers,
        Terry

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Terry,
        >
        > Sorry to hear you've had a awful time, two close family tragedies
        in our
        > family in 2005 were bad enough but to have 3 I can only imagine how
        painful
        > that must have been.
        >
        > Sounds an interesting themed layout.
        >
        > If you need any Z scale Spitfires I have a few left. As well as
        being the
        > British main fighter plane some Canadians and Polish flew them in
        WWII.

        > Kind RegardZ
        >
        > Melissa
        > UK
        >
        > melissa.cull@...
        >

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > I was active on this list up to a little over a year ago. I got a
        > lot of help and encouragement back then from folks like Loren Snyder
        > (thanks!). I dropped off the map due to three personal tragedies
        > that came close together, but that is in the past.
        >
        > I have had some 1:285 wargaming tank kits laying around for a long
        > while and decided to build some of them. I posed them on my two Z
        > briefcase layouts to take pics of them and thought they looked
        > great. 1:285 is about 77% the size of 1:220 (let's chaulk that up
        > to "selective compression"). With big military vehicles that is hard
        > to notice in our small Z scale.
        >
        > The German Panther G tanks are on my scenicked Marklin Solar
        > briefcase, while my WWII Russian T-34/85 tanks,and modern Canadian
        > equipment are on my almost finished Canadian Pacific briefcase. The
        > Yellow highway trucks are modified WWII 1:285 U.S. Army trucks, as
        is
        > the blue and silver truck on the Solar layout. All of these trucks
        > started out as identicle GHQ pewter kits.
        >
        > I am planning a larger Z layout based on Canada in the 1980's. Now I
        > will include a military base with Canadian military equipment. And
        > the 1:285 wargaming field I am planning may just have to have a Z
        > scale WWII German armoured train run through it!
        >
        > My modern Canadian Leopard tank riding a Canadian Pacific flatcar is
        > neat (see pic). The first time I saw a Canadian Leopard up close was
        > in 1994, when I joined the Army Reserves. They were sitting on RR
        > flatcars.
        >
        > I just read the Swiss Alps Z article in the December Model
        > Railroader. Cool or what!? Wow! (The Swiss use Leopard tanks -
        > maybe in the future we'll see one among the hills...)
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Terry

      • Terry J.N. Rowsell
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
          Well Loren,

          I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
          vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have to
          say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
          that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
          over.

          In just the while I was out of the loop I have seen a growth in Z.
          That's a good sign. I see a teaser add from Micro-Trains promising
          more.

          Marie and I are moving into a bigger house. I'll have some room to
          progress beyond the briefcase layout stage!

          Congrats on the nuptuals. :)

          Cheers,
          Terry

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Loren" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

          > Terry,
          >
          > It is great to have you back. You were posting so regularly some
          time back,
          > and then as I well know, you did suffer some very painful loses.
          >
          > Time has a tendency to heal wounds and we are glad you are once
          again
          > involved.
          >
          > Love those tank pictures, they look pretty good even though they
          are a bit
          > small.
          >
          > Now don't you wish someone would wake up and start cranking out a
          lot of Z
          > scale autos, military models, airplanes, tanks, boats, etc?
          >
          > I think as time goes on the demand will continue to grow and maybe
          some
          > large plastic model makers will take a chance on Z scale......I'll
          buy!

          > Anyway, long time you been silent, so lets continue to hear from
          you more.

          > Welcome,
          > Loren

        • Loren
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
            Hey Terry, I was just following your lead. I figure if you can have a train
            loving wife, then so can I.........and I got me one!
            Thanks,

            > I drop off for a year and look what happens! I was not around to
            > chaperone you kids.
            >
            > CONGRATS!
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Terry

          • Zane H. Healy
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
              At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
              >I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
              >vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have to
              >say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
              >that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
              >over.

              I assume you're using Micro-Armor tanks? I'm glad to hear that these
              appear to be of use, might finally put some of my stash together. I
              bought a bunch just prior to getting out of the military, and they've
              been sitting in a box for years. They're old enough though that they
              might be lead rather than Pewter.

              I'll have to break them out one of these years and see about doing up
              a few for use on my Z-Scale layout. :^)

              Zane

              | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |
            • Randall Smidt
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                Has anyone used the SkyTrex 1/200 miniatures or any other 1/200 pieces? The 1/285th pieces are a little too small for many pieces for my taste, but good for forced compression. I think the Z Panzer tanks look great, but wrong era for me.

                Randy

                "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:
                At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
                >I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
                >vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have to
                >say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
                >that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
                >over.

                I assume you're using Micro-Armor tanks? I'm glad to hear that these
                appear to be of use, might finally put some of my stash together. I
                bought a bunch just prior to getting out of the military, and they've
                been sitting in a box for years. They're old enough though that they
                might be lead rather than Pewter.

                I'll have to break them out one of these years and see about doing up
                a few for use on my Z-Scale layout. :^)

                Zane

                Recent Activity

                9
                New Members

                44
                New Photos

                1
                New Files

                Visit Your Group
                Yahoo! News
                Kevin Sites
                Get coverage of
                world crises.

                Yahoo! Finance
                It's Now Personal
                Guides, news,
                advice & more.

                Yahoo! Groups
                Get info and support
                on Samsung HDTVs
                and devices.

                .

              • John & Sue Bartolotto
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                  Randy,

                  I have and highly recommend them over the GHQ Micro-Armor 1/285. The
                  SkyTrex 1/200 are much closer to Z than the GHQ one and are just as
                  detailed.

                  John

                  _____

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 3, 2007
                      Randy,

                      As Orville said to Wilbur "You're Wright!"

                      It was the very first article I wrote for Ztrack. SkyTrex is the only 1/200
                      source for numerous armored vehicles. Z-Panzer, <http://www.z-panzer.com/>
                      http://www.z-panzer.com/, emails: <mailto:info@...>
                      info@... and <mailto:orders@...> orders@... has
                      perfect Z scale (1:220) World War II era (1939-1945) tanks and armored
                      vehicles.

                      John

                      _____

                      John & Sue Bartolotto <jsbart@pjsnet1. <mailto:jsbart%40pjsnet1.de> de>

                      From: z_scale@yahoogroups <mailto:z_scale%40yahoogroups.com> .com

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 3, 2007
                        Hi Zane,

                        I am talking about GHQ Micro-Armour, although some of my stuff is
                        from C in C. All Pewter 1:285. The pewter takes detail better than
                        the old lead models and withou the HAZMAT of lead.

                        I have never heard of 1:200 SkyTrex until I began this thread. I
                        will check them out. As I also wargame, I will generally still lean
                        towayd 1:285, but some 1:200 may look dandy on the Z layout!

                        Cheers,
                        Terry

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

                        > At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
                        > >I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
                        > >vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have
                        > >say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
                        > >that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
                        > >over.
                        >
                        > I assume you're using Micro-Armor tanks? I'm glad to hear that
                        these
                        > appear to be of use, might finally put some of my stash together.
                        > bought a bunch just prior to getting out of the military, and
                        they've
                        > been sitting in a box for years. They're old enough though that
                        they
                        > might be lead rather than Pewter.
                        >
                        > I'll have to break them out one of these years and see about doing
                        up
                        > a few for use on my Z-Scale layout. :^)
                        >
                        > Zane
                        >

                        > --
                        > | Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Administrator |
                        > | healyzh@... (primary) | OpenVMS Enthusiast |
                        > | MONK::HEALYZH (DECnet) | Classic Computer Collector |
                        > | Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing, |
                        > | PDP-10 Emulation and Zane's Computer Museum. |
                        > | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |

                      • de Champeaux Dominique
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 8, 2007
                          Welcome back here Terry!