Re: [Z_Scale] New pics posted - after about a year and a half away from the hobby

  • Loren
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
      Terry,

      It is great to have you back. You were posting so regularly some time back,
      and then as I well know, you did suffer some very painful loses.

      Time has a tendency to heal wounds and we are glad you are once again
      involved.

      Love those tank pictures, they look pretty good even though they are a bit
      small.

      Now don't you wish someone would wake up and start cranking out a lot of Z
      scale autos, military models, airplanes, tanks, boats, etc?

      I think as time goes on the demand will continue to grow and maybe some
      large plastic model makers will take a chance on Z scale......I'll buy!

      Anyway, long time you been silent, so lets continue to hear from you more.

      Welcome,

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
        Hi Terry,

        Sorry to hear you've had a awful time, two close family tragedies in our
        family in 2005 were bad enough but to have 3 I can only imagine how painful
        that must have been.

        Sounds an interesting themed layout.

        If you need any Z scale Spitfires I have a few left. As well as being the
        British main fighter plane some Canadians and Polish flew them in WWII.

        Kind RegardZ

        Melissa
        UK

        melissa.cull@...

[...]

      • Terry J.N. Rowsell
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
          !!!!

          I drop off for a year and look what happens! I was not around to
          chaperone you kids.

          CONGRATS!

          Cheers,
          Terry

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Karin E. Schwarzer" <karin@...>
          wrote:

          > Welcome back Terry!!!
          >
          > You have been in our prayers for so long that its good to hear from
          you
          > again.
          >
          > While you were gone... well, I up and left Alaska to marry Loren
          this summer
          > We are now a happy Z duo. If you don't mind Loren and I would
          love to get
          > a personal email from you to hear how you two are doing up there.
          He flew
          > up to Bellingham to help drive my rig the rest of the way here when
          I got
          > off the ferry. We thought it would have been nice to look you up.
          Glad to
          > know things are looking up. Getting back into Z is a good sign!
          >
          > Karin Snyder

        • Terry J.N. Rowsell
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
            Hi Melissa,

            Z spitfires? Interesting...

            Do you have a link or more info? You could email me offline if you
            like.

            Cheers,
            Terry

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Terry,
            >
            > Sorry to hear you've had a awful time, two close family tragedies
            in our
            > family in 2005 were bad enough but to have 3 I can only imagine how
            painful
            > that must have been.
            >
            > Sounds an interesting themed layout.
            >
            > If you need any Z scale Spitfires I have a few left. As well as
            being the
            > British main fighter plane some Canadians and Polish flew them in
            WWII.

            > Kind RegardZ
            >
            > Melissa
            > UK
            >
            > melissa.cull@...
            >

            > Hi folks,
            >
            > I was active on this list up to a little over a year ago. I got a
            > lot of help and encouragement back then from folks like Loren Snyder
            > (thanks!). I dropped off the map due to three personal tragedies
            > that came close together, but that is in the past.
            >
            > I have had some 1:285 wargaming tank kits laying around for a long
            > while and decided to build some of them. I posed them on my two Z
            > briefcase layouts to take pics of them and thought they looked
            > great. 1:285 is about 77% the size of 1:220 (let's chaulk that up
            > to "selective compression"). With big military vehicles that is hard
            > to notice in our small Z scale.
            >
            > The German Panther G tanks are on my scenicked Marklin Solar
            > briefcase, while my WWII Russian T-34/85 tanks,and modern Canadian
            > equipment are on my almost finished Canadian Pacific briefcase. The
            > Yellow highway trucks are modified WWII 1:285 U.S. Army trucks, as
            is
            > the blue and silver truck on the Solar layout. All of these trucks
            > started out as identicle GHQ pewter kits.
            >
            > I am planning a larger Z layout based on Canada in the 1980's. Now I
            > will include a military base with Canadian military equipment. And
            > the 1:285 wargaming field I am planning may just have to have a Z
            > scale WWII German armoured train run through it!
            >
            > My modern Canadian Leopard tank riding a Canadian Pacific flatcar is
            > neat (see pic). The first time I saw a Canadian Leopard up close was
            > in 1994, when I joined the Army Reserves. They were sitting on RR
            > flatcars.
            >
            > I just read the Swiss Alps Z article in the December Model
            > Railroader. Cool or what!? Wow! (The Swiss use Leopard tanks -
            > maybe in the future we'll see one among the hills...)
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Terry

          • Terry J.N. Rowsell
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
              Well Loren,

              I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
              vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have to
              say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
              that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
              over.

              In just the while I was out of the loop I have seen a growth in Z.
              That's a good sign. I see a teaser add from Micro-Trains promising
              more.

              Marie and I are moving into a bigger house. I'll have some room to
              progress beyond the briefcase layout stage!

              Congrats on the nuptuals. :)

              Cheers,
              Terry

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Loren" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

              > Terry,
              >
              > It is great to have you back. You were posting so regularly some
              time back,
              > and then as I well know, you did suffer some very painful loses.
              >
              > Time has a tendency to heal wounds and we are glad you are once
              again
              > involved.
              >
              > Love those tank pictures, they look pretty good even though they
              are a bit
              > small.
              >
              > Now don't you wish someone would wake up and start cranking out a
              lot of Z
              > scale autos, military models, airplanes, tanks, boats, etc?
              >
              > I think as time goes on the demand will continue to grow and maybe
              some
              > large plastic model makers will take a chance on Z scale......I'll
              buy!

              > Anyway, long time you been silent, so lets continue to hear from
              you more.

              > Welcome,
              > Loren

            • Loren
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                Hey Terry, I was just following your lead. I figure if you can have a train
                loving wife, then so can I.........and I got me one!
                Thanks,

                > I drop off for a year and look what happens! I was not around to
                > chaperone you kids.
                >
                > CONGRATS!
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Terry

              • Zane H. Healy
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                  At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
                  >I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
                  >vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have to
                  >say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
                  >that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
                  >over.

                  I assume you're using Micro-Armor tanks? I'm glad to hear that these
                  appear to be of use, might finally put some of my stash together. I
                  bought a bunch just prior to getting out of the military, and they've
                  been sitting in a box for years. They're old enough though that they
                  might be lead rather than Pewter.

                  I'll have to break them out one of these years and see about doing up
                  a few for use on my Z-Scale layout. :^)

                  Zane

                  | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |
                • Randall Smidt
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Has anyone used the SkyTrex 1/200 miniatures or any other 1/200 pieces? The 1/285th pieces are a little too small for many pieces for my taste, but good for forced compression. I think the Z Panzer tanks look great, but wrong era for me.

                    Randy

                    "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:
                    At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
                    >I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
                    >vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have to
                    >say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
                    >that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
                    >over.

                    I assume you're using Micro-Armor tanks? I'm glad to hear that these
                    appear to be of use, might finally put some of my stash together. I
                    bought a bunch just prior to getting out of the military, and they've
                    been sitting in a box for years. They're old enough though that they
                    might be lead rather than Pewter.

                    I'll have to break them out one of these years and see about doing up
                    a few for use on my Z-Scale layout. :^)

                    Zane

                    Recent Activity

                    9
                    New Members

                    44
                    New Photos

                    1
                    New Files

                    Visit Your Group
                    Yahoo! News
                    Kevin Sites
                    Get coverage of
                    world crises.

                    Yahoo! Finance
                    It's Now Personal
                    Guides, news,
                    advice & more.

                    Yahoo! Groups
                    Get info and support
                    on Samsung HDTVs
                    and devices.

                    .

                  • John & Sue Bartolotto
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                      Randy,

                      I have and highly recommend them over the GHQ Micro-Armor 1/285. The
                      SkyTrex 1/200 are much closer to Z than the GHQ one and are just as
                      detailed.

                      John

                      _____

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 3, 2007
                          Randy,

                          As Orville said to Wilbur "You're Wright!"

                          It was the very first article I wrote for Ztrack. SkyTrex is the only 1/200
                          source for numerous armored vehicles. Z-Panzer, <http://www.z-panzer.com/>
                          http://www.z-panzer.com/, emails: <mailto:info@...>
                          info@... and <mailto:orders@...> orders@... has
                          perfect Z scale (1:220) World War II era (1939-1945) tanks and armored
                          vehicles.

                          John

                          _____

                          John & Sue Bartolotto <jsbart@pjsnet1. <mailto:jsbart%40pjsnet1.de> de>

                          From: z_scale@yahoogroups <mailto:z_scale%40yahoogroups.com> .com

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 3, 2007
                            Hi Zane,

                            I am talking about GHQ Micro-Armour, although some of my stuff is
                            from C in C. All Pewter 1:285. The pewter takes detail better than
                            the old lead models and withou the HAZMAT of lead.

                            I have never heard of 1:200 SkyTrex until I began this thread. I
                            will check them out. As I also wargame, I will generally still lean
                            towayd 1:285, but some 1:200 may look dandy on the Z layout!

                            Cheers,
                            Terry

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

                            > At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
                            > >I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
                            > >vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have
                            > >say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
                            > >that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
                            > >over.
                            >
                            > I assume you're using Micro-Armor tanks? I'm glad to hear that
                            these
                            > appear to be of use, might finally put some of my stash together.
                            > bought a bunch just prior to getting out of the military, and
                            they've
                            > been sitting in a box for years. They're old enough though that
                            they
                            > might be lead rather than Pewter.
                            >
                            > I'll have to break them out one of these years and see about doing
                            up
                            > a few for use on my Z-Scale layout. :^)
                            >
                            > Zane
                            >

                            > --
                            > | Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Administrator |
                            > | healyzh@... (primary) | OpenVMS Enthusiast |
                            > | MONK::HEALYZH (DECnet) | Classic Computer Collector |
                            > | Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing, |
                            > | PDP-10 Emulation and Zane's Computer Museum. |
                            > | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |

                          • de Champeaux Dominique
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 8, 2007
                              Welcome back here Terry!