Re: [Z_Scale] New pics posted - after about a year and a half away from the hobby

  • Karin E. Schwarzer
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
      Welcome back Terry!!!

      You have been in our prayers for so long that its good to hear from you
      again.

      While you were gone... well, I up and left Alaska to marry Loren this summer
      We are now a happy Z duo. If you don't mind Loren and I would love to get
      a personal email from you to hear how you two are doing up there. He flew
      up to Bellingham to help drive my rig the rest of the way here when I got
      off the ferry. We thought it would have been nice to look you up. Glad to
      know things are looking up. Getting back into Z is a good sign!

      Karin Snyder

    • Loren
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
        Terry,

        It is great to have you back. You were posting so regularly some time back,
        and then as I well know, you did suffer some very painful loses.

        Time has a tendency to heal wounds and we are glad you are once again
        involved.

        Love those tank pictures, they look pretty good even though they are a bit
        small.

        Now don't you wish someone would wake up and start cranking out a lot of Z
        scale autos, military models, airplanes, tanks, boats, etc?

        I think as time goes on the demand will continue to grow and maybe some
        large plastic model makers will take a chance on Z scale......I'll buy!

        Anyway, long time you been silent, so lets continue to hear from you more.

        Welcome,

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
          Hi Terry,

          Sorry to hear you've had a awful time, two close family tragedies in our
          family in 2005 were bad enough but to have 3 I can only imagine how painful
          that must have been.

          Sounds an interesting themed layout.

          If you need any Z scale Spitfires I have a few left. As well as being the
          British main fighter plane some Canadians and Polish flew them in WWII.

          Kind RegardZ

          Melissa
          UK

          melissa.cull@...

[...]

        • Terry J.N. Rowsell
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
            !!!!

            I drop off for a year and look what happens! I was not around to
            chaperone you kids.

            CONGRATS!

            Cheers,
            Terry

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Karin E. Schwarzer" <karin@...>
            wrote:

            > Welcome back Terry!!!
            >
            > You have been in our prayers for so long that its good to hear from
            you
            > again.
            >
            > While you were gone... well, I up and left Alaska to marry Loren
            this summer
            > We are now a happy Z duo. If you don't mind Loren and I would
            love to get
            > a personal email from you to hear how you two are doing up there.
            He flew
            > up to Bellingham to help drive my rig the rest of the way here when
            I got
            > off the ferry. We thought it would have been nice to look you up.
            Glad to
            > know things are looking up. Getting back into Z is a good sign!
            >
            > Karin Snyder

          • Terry J.N. Rowsell
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
              Hi Melissa,

              Z spitfires? Interesting...

              Do you have a link or more info? You could email me offline if you
              like.

              Cheers,
              Terry

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi Terry,
              >
              > Sorry to hear you've had a awful time, two close family tragedies
              in our
              > family in 2005 were bad enough but to have 3 I can only imagine how
              painful
              > that must have been.
              >
              > Sounds an interesting themed layout.
              >
              > If you need any Z scale Spitfires I have a few left. As well as
              being the
              > British main fighter plane some Canadians and Polish flew them in
              WWII.

              > Kind RegardZ
              >
              > Melissa
              > UK
              >
              > melissa.cull@...
              >

              > Hi folks,
              >
              > I was active on this list up to a little over a year ago. I got a
              > lot of help and encouragement back then from folks like Loren Snyder
              > (thanks!). I dropped off the map due to three personal tragedies
              > that came close together, but that is in the past.
              >
              > I have had some 1:285 wargaming tank kits laying around for a long
              > while and decided to build some of them. I posed them on my two Z
              > briefcase layouts to take pics of them and thought they looked
              > great. 1:285 is about 77% the size of 1:220 (let's chaulk that up
              > to "selective compression"). With big military vehicles that is hard
              > to notice in our small Z scale.
              >
              > The German Panther G tanks are on my scenicked Marklin Solar
              > briefcase, while my WWII Russian T-34/85 tanks,and modern Canadian
              > equipment are on my almost finished Canadian Pacific briefcase. The
              > Yellow highway trucks are modified WWII 1:285 U.S. Army trucks, as
              is
              > the blue and silver truck on the Solar layout. All of these trucks
              > started out as identicle GHQ pewter kits.
              >
              > I am planning a larger Z layout based on Canada in the 1980's. Now I
              > will include a military base with Canadian military equipment. And
              > the 1:285 wargaming field I am planning may just have to have a Z
              > scale WWII German armoured train run through it!
              >
              > My modern Canadian Leopard tank riding a Canadian Pacific flatcar is
              > neat (see pic). The first time I saw a Canadian Leopard up close was
              > in 1994, when I joined the Army Reserves. They were sitting on RR
              > flatcars.
              >
              > I just read the Swiss Alps Z article in the December Model
              > Railroader. Cool or what!? Wow! (The Swiss use Leopard tanks -
              > maybe in the future we'll see one among the hills...)
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Terry

            • Terry J.N. Rowsell
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                Well Loren,

                I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
                vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have to
                say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
                that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
                over.

                In just the while I was out of the loop I have seen a growth in Z.
                That's a good sign. I see a teaser add from Micro-Trains promising
                more.

                Marie and I are moving into a bigger house. I'll have some room to
                progress beyond the briefcase layout stage!

                Congrats on the nuptuals. :)

                Cheers,
                Terry

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Loren" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

                > Terry,
                >
                > It is great to have you back. You were posting so regularly some
                time back,
                > and then as I well know, you did suffer some very painful loses.
                >
                > Time has a tendency to heal wounds and we are glad you are once
                again
                > involved.
                >
                > Love those tank pictures, they look pretty good even though they
                are a bit
                > small.
                >
                > Now don't you wish someone would wake up and start cranking out a
                lot of Z
                > scale autos, military models, airplanes, tanks, boats, etc?
                >
                > I think as time goes on the demand will continue to grow and maybe
                some
                > large plastic model makers will take a chance on Z scale......I'll
                buy!

                > Anyway, long time you been silent, so lets continue to hear from
                you more.

                > Welcome,
                > Loren

              • Loren
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                  Hey Terry, I was just following your lead. I figure if you can have a train
                  loving wife, then so can I.........and I got me one!
                  Thanks,

                  > I drop off for a year and look what happens! I was not around to
                  > chaperone you kids.
                  >
                  > CONGRATS!
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Terry

                • Zane H. Healy
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                    At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
                    >I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
                    >vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have to
                    >say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
                    >that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
                    >over.

                    I assume you're using Micro-Armor tanks? I'm glad to hear that these
                    appear to be of use, might finally put some of my stash together. I
                    bought a bunch just prior to getting out of the military, and they've
                    been sitting in a box for years. They're old enough though that they
                    might be lead rather than Pewter.

                    I'll have to break them out one of these years and see about doing up
                    a few for use on my Z-Scale layout. :^)

                    Zane

                    | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |
                  • Randall Smidt
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                      Has anyone used the SkyTrex 1/200 miniatures or any other 1/200 pieces? The 1/285th pieces are a little too small for many pieces for my taste, but good for forced compression. I think the Z Panzer tanks look great, but wrong era for me.

                      Randy

                      "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:
                      At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
                      >I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
                      >vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have to
                      >say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
                      >that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
                      >over.

                      I assume you're using Micro-Armor tanks? I'm glad to hear that these
                      appear to be of use, might finally put some of my stash together. I
                      bought a bunch just prior to getting out of the military, and they've
                      been sitting in a box for years. They're old enough though that they
                      might be lead rather than Pewter.

                      I'll have to break them out one of these years and see about doing up
                      a few for use on my Z-Scale layout. :^)

                      Zane

                      Recent Activity

                      9
                      New Members

                      44
                      New Photos

                      1
                      New Files

                      Visit Your Group
                      Yahoo! News
                      Kevin Sites
                      Get coverage of
                      world crises.

                      Yahoo! Finance
                      It's Now Personal
                      Guides, news,
                      advice & more.

                      Yahoo! Groups
                      Get info and support
                      on Samsung HDTVs
                      and devices.

                      .

                    • John & Sue Bartolotto
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                        Randy,

                        I have and highly recommend them over the GHQ Micro-Armor 1/285. The
                        SkyTrex 1/200 are much closer to Z than the GHQ one and are just as
                        detailed.

                        John

                        _____

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 3, 2007
                            Randy,

                            As Orville said to Wilbur "You're Wright!"

                            It was the very first article I wrote for Ztrack. SkyTrex is the only 1/200
                            source for numerous armored vehicles. Z-Panzer, <http://www.z-panzer.com/>
                            http://www.z-panzer.com/, emails: <mailto:info@...>
                            info@... and <mailto:orders@...> orders@... has
                            perfect Z scale (1:220) World War II era (1939-1945) tanks and armored
                            vehicles.

                            John

                            _____

                            John & Sue Bartolotto <jsbart@pjsnet1. <mailto:jsbart%40pjsnet1.de> de>

                            From: z_scale@yahoogroups <mailto:z_scale%40yahoogroups.com> .com

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 3, 2007
                              Hi Zane,

                              I am talking about GHQ Micro-Armour, although some of my stuff is
                              from C in C. All Pewter 1:285. The pewter takes detail better than
                              the old lead models and withou the HAZMAT of lead.

                              I have never heard of 1:200 SkyTrex until I began this thread. I
                              will check them out. As I also wargame, I will generally still lean
                              towayd 1:285, but some 1:200 may look dandy on the Z layout!

                              Cheers,
                              Terry

                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

                              > At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
                              > >I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
                              > >vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have
                              > >say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
                              > >that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
                              > >over.
                              >
                              > I assume you're using Micro-Armor tanks? I'm glad to hear that
                              these
                              > appear to be of use, might finally put some of my stash together.
                              > bought a bunch just prior to getting out of the military, and
                              they've
                              > been sitting in a box for years. They're old enough though that
                              they
                              > might be lead rather than Pewter.
                              >
                              > I'll have to break them out one of these years and see about doing
                              up
                              > a few for use on my Z-Scale layout. :^)
                              >
                              > Zane
                              >

                              > --
                              > | Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Administrator |
                              > | healyzh@... (primary) | OpenVMS Enthusiast |
                              > | MONK::HEALYZH (DECnet) | Classic Computer Collector |
                              > | Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing, |
                              > | PDP-10 Emulation and Zane's Computer Museum. |
                              > | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |

                            • de Champeaux Dominique
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 8, 2007
                                Welcome back here Terry!