New pics posted - after about a year and a half away from the hobby

  • Terry J.N. Rowsell
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hi folks,

      I was active on this list up to a little over a year ago. I got a
      lot of help and encouragement back then from folks like Loren Snyder
      (thanks!). I dropped off the map due to three personal tragedies
      that came close together, but that is in the past.

      I have had some 1:285 wargaming tank kits laying around for a long
      while and decided to build some of them. I posed them on my two Z
      briefcase layouts to take pics of them and thought they looked
      great. 1:285 is about 77% the size of 1:220 (let's chaulk that up
      to "selective compression"). With big military vehicles that is hard
      to notice in our small Z scale.

      The German Panther G tanks are on my scenicked Marklin Solar
      briefcase, while my WWII Russian T-34/85 tanks,and modern Canadian
      equipment are on my almost finished Canadian Pacific briefcase. The
      Yellow highway trucks are modified WWII 1:285 U.S. Army trucks, as is
      the blue and silver truck on the Solar layout. All of these trucks
      started out as identicle GHQ pewter kits.

      I am planning a larger Z layout based on Canada in the 1980's. Now I
      will include a military base with Canadian military equipment. And
      the 1:285 wargaming field I am planning may just have to have a Z
      scale WWII German armoured train run through it!

      My modern Canadian Leopard tank riding a Canadian Pacific flatcar is
      neat (see pic). The first time I saw a Canadian Leopard up close was
      in 1994, when I joined the Army Reserves. They were sitting on RR
      flatcars.

      I just read the Swiss Alps Z article in the December Model
      Railroader. Cool or what!? Wow! (The Swiss use Leopard tanks -
      maybe in the future we'll see one among the hills...)

      Cheers,
      Terry
    • Karin E. Schwarzer
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
        Welcome back Terry!!!

        You have been in our prayers for so long that its good to hear from you
        again.

        While you were gone... well, I up and left Alaska to marry Loren this summer
        We are now a happy Z duo. If you don't mind Loren and I would love to get
        a personal email from you to hear how you two are doing up there. He flew
        up to Bellingham to help drive my rig the rest of the way here when I got
        off the ferry. We thought it would have been nice to look you up. Glad to
        know things are looking up. Getting back into Z is a good sign!

        Karin Snyder

      • Loren
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
          Terry,

          It is great to have you back. You were posting so regularly some time back,
          and then as I well know, you did suffer some very painful loses.

          Time has a tendency to heal wounds and we are glad you are once again
          involved.

          Love those tank pictures, they look pretty good even though they are a bit
          small.

          Now don't you wish someone would wake up and start cranking out a lot of Z
          scale autos, military models, airplanes, tanks, boats, etc?

          I think as time goes on the demand will continue to grow and maybe some
          large plastic model makers will take a chance on Z scale......I'll buy!

          Anyway, long time you been silent, so lets continue to hear from you more.

          Welcome,

          > I was active on this list up to a little over a year ago. I got a
          > lot of help and encouragement back then from folks like Loren Snyder
          > (thanks!). I dropped off the map due to three personal tragedies
          > that came close together, but that is in the past.
          >
          > I have had some 1:285 wargaming tank kits laying around for a long
          > while and decided to build some of them. I posed them on my two Z
          > briefcase layouts to take pics of them and thought they looked
          > great. 1:285 is about 77% the size of 1:220 (let's chaulk that up
          > to "selective compression"). With big military vehicles that is hard
          > to notice in our small Z scale.
          >
          > The German Panther G tanks are on my scenicked Marklin Solar
          > briefcase, while my WWII Russian T-34/85 tanks,and modern Canadian
          > equipment are on my almost finished Canadian Pacific briefcase. The
          > Yellow highway trucks are modified WWII 1:285 U.S. Army trucks, as is
          > the blue and silver truck on the Solar layout. All of these trucks
          > started out as identicle GHQ pewter kits.
          >
          > I am planning a larger Z layout based on Canada in the 1980's. Now I
          > will include a military base with Canadian military equipment. And
          > the 1:285 wargaming field I am planning may just have to have a Z
          > scale WWII German armoured train run through it!
          >
          > My modern Canadian Leopard tank riding a Canadian Pacific flatcar is
          > neat (see pic). The first time I saw a Canadian Leopard up close was
          > in 1994, when I joined the Army Reserves. They were sitting on RR
          > flatcars.
          >
          > I just read the Swiss Alps Z article in the December Model
          > Railroader. Cool or what!? Wow! (The Swiss use Leopard tanks -
          > maybe in the future we'll see one among the hills...)
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Terry
        • Melissa Cull
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
            Hi Terry,

            Sorry to hear you've had a awful time, two close family tragedies in our
            family in 2005 were bad enough but to have 3 I can only imagine how painful
            that must have been.

            Sounds an interesting themed layout.

            If you need any Z scale Spitfires I have a few left. As well as being the
            British main fighter plane some Canadians and Polish flew them in WWII.

            Kind RegardZ

            Melissa
            UK

            melissa.cull@...

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
              !!!!

              I drop off for a year and look what happens! I was not around to
              chaperone you kids.

              CONGRATS!

              Cheers,
              Terry

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Karin E. Schwarzer" <karin@...>
              wrote:

              > Welcome back Terry!!!
              >
              > You have been in our prayers for so long that its good to hear from
              you
              > again.
              >
              > While you were gone... well, I up and left Alaska to marry Loren
              this summer
              > We are now a happy Z duo. If you don't mind Loren and I would
              love to get
              > a personal email from you to hear how you two are doing up there.
              He flew
              > up to Bellingham to help drive my rig the rest of the way here when
              I got
              > off the ferry. We thought it would have been nice to look you up.
              Glad to
              > know things are looking up. Getting back into Z is a good sign!
              >
              > Karin Snyder

            • Terry J.N. Rowsell
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                Hi Melissa,

                Z spitfires? Interesting...

                Do you have a link or more info? You could email me offline if you
                like.

                Cheers,
                Terry

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi Terry,
                >
                > Sorry to hear you've had a awful time, two close family tragedies
                in our
                > family in 2005 were bad enough but to have 3 I can only imagine how
                painful
                > that must have been.
                >
                > Sounds an interesting themed layout.
                >
                > If you need any Z scale Spitfires I have a few left. As well as
                being the
                > British main fighter plane some Canadians and Polish flew them in
                WWII.

                > Kind RegardZ
                >
                > Melissa
                > UK
                >
                > melissa.cull@...
                >

                > Hi folks,
                >
                > I was active on this list up to a little over a year ago. I got a
                > lot of help and encouragement back then from folks like Loren Snyder
                > (thanks!). I dropped off the map due to three personal tragedies
                > that came close together, but that is in the past.
                >
                > I have had some 1:285 wargaming tank kits laying around for a long
                > while and decided to build some of them. I posed them on my two Z
                > briefcase layouts to take pics of them and thought they looked
                > great. 1:285 is about 77% the size of 1:220 (let's chaulk that up
                > to "selective compression"). With big military vehicles that is hard
                > to notice in our small Z scale.
                >
                > The German Panther G tanks are on my scenicked Marklin Solar
                > briefcase, while my WWII Russian T-34/85 tanks,and modern Canadian
                > equipment are on my almost finished Canadian Pacific briefcase. The
                > Yellow highway trucks are modified WWII 1:285 U.S. Army trucks, as
                is
                > the blue and silver truck on the Solar layout. All of these trucks
                > started out as identicle GHQ pewter kits.
                >
                > I am planning a larger Z layout based on Canada in the 1980's. Now I
                > will include a military base with Canadian military equipment. And
                > the 1:285 wargaming field I am planning may just have to have a Z
                > scale WWII German armoured train run through it!
                >
                > My modern Canadian Leopard tank riding a Canadian Pacific flatcar is
                > neat (see pic). The first time I saw a Canadian Leopard up close was
                > in 1994, when I joined the Army Reserves. They were sitting on RR
                > flatcars.
                >
                > I just read the Swiss Alps Z article in the December Model
                > Railroader. Cool or what!? Wow! (The Swiss use Leopard tanks -
                > maybe in the future we'll see one among the hills...)
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Terry

              • Terry J.N. Rowsell
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                  Well Loren,

                  I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
                  vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have to
                  say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
                  that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
                  over.

                  In just the while I was out of the loop I have seen a growth in Z.
                  That's a good sign. I see a teaser add from Micro-Trains promising
                  more.

                  Marie and I are moving into a bigger house. I'll have some room to
                  progress beyond the briefcase layout stage!

                  Congrats on the nuptuals. :)

                  Cheers,
                  Terry

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Loren" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

                  > Terry,
                  >
                  > It is great to have you back. You were posting so regularly some
                  time back,
                  > and then as I well know, you did suffer some very painful loses.
                  >
                  > Time has a tendency to heal wounds and we are glad you are once
                  again
                  > involved.
                  >
                  > Love those tank pictures, they look pretty good even though they
                  are a bit
                  > small.
                  >
                  > Now don't you wish someone would wake up and start cranking out a
                  lot of Z
                  > scale autos, military models, airplanes, tanks, boats, etc?
                  >
                  > I think as time goes on the demand will continue to grow and maybe
                  some
                  > large plastic model makers will take a chance on Z scale......I'll
                  buy!

                  > Anyway, long time you been silent, so lets continue to hear from
                  you more.

                  > Welcome,
                  > Loren

                • Loren
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Hey Terry, I was just following your lead. I figure if you can have a train
                    loving wife, then so can I.........and I got me one!
                    Thanks,

                    > I drop off for a year and look what happens! I was not around to
                    > chaperone you kids.
                    >
                    > CONGRATS!
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Terry

                  • Zane H. Healy
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                      At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
                      >I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
                      >vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have to
                      >say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
                      >that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
                      >over.

                      I assume you're using Micro-Armor tanks? I'm glad to hear that these
                      appear to be of use, might finally put some of my stash together. I
                      bought a bunch just prior to getting out of the military, and they've
                      been sitting in a box for years. They're old enough though that they
                      might be lead rather than Pewter.

                      I'll have to break them out one of these years and see about doing up
                      a few for use on my Z-Scale layout. :^)

                      Zane

                      | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |
                    • Randall Smidt
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                        Has anyone used the SkyTrex 1/200 miniatures or any other 1/200 pieces? The 1/285th pieces are a little too small for many pieces for my taste, but good for forced compression. I think the Z Panzer tanks look great, but wrong era for me.

                        Randy

                        "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:
                        At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
                        >I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
                        >vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have to
                        >say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
                        >that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
                        >over.

                        I assume you're using Micro-Armor tanks? I'm glad to hear that these
                        appear to be of use, might finally put some of my stash together. I
                        bought a bunch just prior to getting out of the military, and they've
                        been sitting in a box for years. They're old enough though that they
                        might be lead rather than Pewter.

                        I'll have to break them out one of these years and see about doing up
                        a few for use on my Z-Scale layout. :^)

                        Zane

                        Recent Activity

                        9
                        New Members

                        44
                        New Photos

                        1
                        New Files

                        Visit Your Group
                        Yahoo! News
                        Kevin Sites
                        Get coverage of
                        world crises.

                        Yahoo! Finance
                        It's Now Personal
                        Guides, news,
                        advice & more.

                        Yahoo! Groups
                        Get info and support
                        on Samsung HDTVs
                        and devices.

                        .

                      • John & Sue Bartolotto
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                          Randy,

                          I have and highly recommend them over the GHQ Micro-Armor 1/285. The
                          SkyTrex 1/200 are much closer to Z than the GHQ one and are just as
                          detailed.

                          John

                          _____

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 3, 2007
                              Randy,

                              As Orville said to Wilbur "You're Wright!"

                              It was the very first article I wrote for Ztrack. SkyTrex is the only 1/200
                              source for numerous armored vehicles. Z-Panzer, <http://www.z-panzer.com/>
                              http://www.z-panzer.com/, emails: <mailto:info@...>
                              info@... and <mailto:orders@...> orders@... has
                              perfect Z scale (1:220) World War II era (1939-1945) tanks and armored
                              vehicles.

                              John

                              _____

                              John & Sue Bartolotto <jsbart@pjsnet1. <mailto:jsbart%40pjsnet1.de> de>

                              From: z_scale@yahoogroups <mailto:z_scale%40yahoogroups.com> .com

                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 3, 2007
                                Hi Zane,

                                I am talking about GHQ Micro-Armour, although some of my stuff is
                                from C in C. All Pewter 1:285. The pewter takes detail better than
                                the old lead models and withou the HAZMAT of lead.

                                I have never heard of 1:200 SkyTrex until I began this thread. I
                                will check them out. As I also wargame, I will generally still lean
                                towayd 1:285, but some 1:200 may look dandy on the Z layout!

                                Cheers,
                                Terry

                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

                                > At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
                                > >I would LOVE to see a company mass-produce good quality plastic
                                > >vehicles in Z. Having experienced my pewter tanks in 1:285 I have
                                > >say that I would prefer pewter. For one thing they have a 'heft'
                                > >that is surprising given their size. My breath will not knock them
                                > >over.
                                >
                                > I assume you're using Micro-Armor tanks? I'm glad to hear that
                                these
                                > appear to be of use, might finally put some of my stash together.
                                > bought a bunch just prior to getting out of the military, and
                                they've
                                > been sitting in a box for years. They're old enough though that
                                they
                                > might be lead rather than Pewter.
                                >
                                > I'll have to break them out one of these years and see about doing
                                up
                                > a few for use on my Z-Scale layout. :^)
                                >
                                > Zane
                                >

                                > --
                                > | Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Administrator |
                                > | healyzh@... (primary) | OpenVMS Enthusiast |
                                > | MONK::HEALYZH (DECnet) | Classic Computer Collector |
                                > | Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing, |
                                > | PDP-10 Emulation and Zane's Computer Museum. |
                                > | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |

                              • de Champeaux Dominique
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 8, 2007
                                  Welcome back here Terry!