Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Humidors and Z Scale and Bookcases

  • Alan Cox
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
      > I'd be a bit wary of mounting directly to the shelves if you have to cross
      > shelves, unless it was the single larger one you use as although it's quite
      > accurately machined 1 or 2 mm difference in height in Z scale would be like
      > a hump back bridge for track.

      From experience yes - you either cross shelves above board level on one
      or both sides witha bridge or lay hardboard or similar as a track base to
      smooth the gap/transition.

      The ikeabahn is actually built on a board cut to the same geometry as the
      official ivar shelving and then braced underneath. That makes it much
      easier to get track pins and wiring through.
    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
        Hello Melissa,

        > I have IKEA IVAR

        one might wonder if there is a person who don't have at least heard of
        this system... :-)
        I also have a small IVAR shelf in use. A lesson learned after I
        couldn't extend another shelf system because the manufacturer stopped
        the production of it. I only needed some small parts then... but no
        chance... :-(

        > I'd be a bit wary of mounting directly to the shelves if you have to cross
        > shelves, unless it was the single larger one you use as although it's quite
        > accurately machined 1 or 2 mm difference in height in Z scale would be like
        > a hump back bridge for track.

        I would use the longer shelfs (about 80 cm / 31.5") for a project like
        this. This would make it easier to adjust the shelfs in level to each
        other. An adjustable foot in the shelf legs would help too. If you
        want to go to shows, it is a must anyway.

        > I have thought about putting a layout on the larger one of the shelves of
        > the IKEA LEKSVIK Bookcase just before it changes to the thinner shelves.

        As I wrote, I would be wary about the availability in the long run.
        Even with BILLY, another classic IKEA bookcase I got problems, since
        they changed the length of the wider bookcases from 90 cm to 80 cm at
        sometime. It's only IVAR that is around unchanged since one can
        remember.

        --
        GreetingZ
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
          Hello Uwe,

          I would only use the Leksvik for a one off and mount the actual layout on a
          board to slide onto it not extending to others. I experienced the stopping
          of a range mid collecting it, remember the Fjord range got the small pieces
          and just as I was about to get the large chest of drawers and the wardrobe
          it was gone:-(

          I had noticed the BILLY had changed but I don't collect that as I like solid
          pine or birch.

          I hope they bring the glass topped single drawer coffee table back, the new
          one with two drawers or glass lids is too small inside for a nice sized
          layout even in Z scale, it would only do a brief case size.

          The IKEA adjustable metal table legs would be good for a layout. Though
          Lidel and Aldi often do great metal trestles that are between ?4 to ?8
          sterling which are absolutely ideal for layout legs as they take up to 100
          Kg and are a great deal less effort than doing woodwork.

          Kind regardZ

          Melissa
          UK

          Hello Melissa,

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
            Hi Alan,

            That's how I thought it would have to be done with a seperate board on top.

            Kind RegardZ

            Melissa
            UK

            > I'd be a bit wary of mounting directly to the shelves if you have to
            cross
            > shelves, unless it was the single larger one you use as although it's
            quite
            > accurately machined 1 or 2 mm difference in height in Z scale would be
            like
            > a hump back bridge for track.

            From experience yes - you either cross shelves above board level on one