RE: [Z_Scale] Re: Humidors and Z Scale and Bookcases

  • Melissa Cull
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hi Alan & Uwe,

      Yes I have IKEA IVAR shelving for my vast collection of research and course
      books as they are really strong and can take the weight. I use the smaller
      type as my books are so heavy so can get more bracing in.

      I'd be a bit wary of mounting directly to the shelves if you have to cross
      shelves, unless it was the single larger one you use as although it's quite
      accurately machined 1 or 2 mm difference in height in Z scale would be like
      a hump back bridge for track.

      I have thought about putting a layout on the larger one of the shelves of
      the IKEA LEKSVIK Bookcase just before it changes to the thinner shelves.

      http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20033863

      Kind RegardZ

      Melissa
      UK

      > Now Ikea is always a good source of storage, I like that shop, most of my
      > furniture is their solid pine stuff. Wish they still did the glass coffee
      > table with the single large drawer that people put Z scale model railways
      > in, I missed out on that one.

      They still do some useful sized objects. My european layout is the
      "Ikeabahn" because its an 83cmx50cm Ivar shelf size and mounted in Ikea
      shelving units (with another layout below)

    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
        > I'd be a bit wary of mounting directly to the shelves if you have to cross
        > shelves, unless it was the single larger one you use as although it's quite
        > accurately machined 1 or 2 mm difference in height in Z scale would be like
        > a hump back bridge for track.

        From experience yes - you either cross shelves above board level on one
        or both sides witha bridge or lay hardboard or similar as a track base to
        smooth the gap/transition.

        The ikeabahn is actually built on a board cut to the same geometry as the
        official ivar shelving and then braced underneath. That makes it much
        easier to get track pins and wiring through.
      • Uwe Liermann
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
          Hello Melissa,

          > I have IKEA IVAR

          one might wonder if there is a person who don't have at least heard of
          this system... :-)
          I also have a small IVAR shelf in use. A lesson learned after I
          couldn't extend another shelf system because the manufacturer stopped
          the production of it. I only needed some small parts then... but no
          chance... :-(

          > I'd be a bit wary of mounting directly to the shelves if you have to cross
          > shelves, unless it was the single larger one you use as although it's quite
          > accurately machined 1 or 2 mm difference in height in Z scale would be like
          > a hump back bridge for track.

          I would use the longer shelfs (about 80 cm / 31.5") for a project like
          this. This would make it easier to adjust the shelfs in level to each
          other. An adjustable foot in the shelf legs would help too. If you
          want to go to shows, it is a must anyway.

          > I have thought about putting a layout on the larger one of the shelves of
          > the IKEA LEKSVIK Bookcase just before it changes to the thinner shelves.

          As I wrote, I would be wary about the availability in the long run.
          Even with BILLY, another classic IKEA bookcase I got problems, since
          they changed the length of the wider bookcases from 90 cm to 80 cm at
          sometime. It's only IVAR that is around unchanged since one can
          remember.

          --
          GreetingZ
          Uwe
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
            Hello Uwe,

            I would only use the Leksvik for a one off and mount the actual layout on a
            board to slide onto it not extending to others. I experienced the stopping
            of a range mid collecting it, remember the Fjord range got the small pieces
            and just as I was about to get the large chest of drawers and the wardrobe
            it was gone:-(

            I had noticed the BILLY had changed but I don't collect that as I like solid
            pine or birch.

            I hope they bring the glass topped single drawer coffee table back, the new
            one with two drawers or glass lids is too small inside for a nice sized
            layout even in Z scale, it would only do a brief case size.

            The IKEA adjustable metal table legs would be good for a layout. Though
            Lidel and Aldi often do great metal trestles that are between ?4 to ?8
            sterling which are absolutely ideal for layout legs as they take up to 100
            Kg and are a great deal less effort than doing woodwork.

            Kind regardZ

            Melissa
            UK

            Hello Melissa,

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
              Hi Alan,

              That's how I thought it would have to be done with a seperate board on top.

              Kind RegardZ

              Melissa
              UK

              > I'd be a bit wary of mounting directly to the shelves if you have to
              cross
              > shelves, unless it was the single larger one you use as although it's
              quite
              > accurately machined 1 or 2 mm difference in height in Z scale would be
              like
              > a hump back bridge for track.

              From experience yes - you either cross shelves above board level on one