Humidors and Z Scale

  • Melissa Cull
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 29, 2007
      Hi All,

      Can someone enlighten me on the size of Humidors required for Z Scale, where
      to get one from?

      Also would an empty wooden canteen of cutlery be big enough? I've got one of
      these but not sure it's big enough.

      I'm thinking of a little Christmas scene:-)

      Kind RegardZ

      Melissa

      UK
    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 29, 2007
        Hello Melissa,

        > Can someone enlighten me on the size of Humidors required for Z Scale, where
        > to get one from?

        I don't know where to get one near you, but about the necessary size
        maybe this link to Jens Wimmels website might give you a hint:

        http://www.zettzeit.ch/SKA.html

        Check out also the two SKA links. Unfortunately the link to the Cigar
        Box Layout from Kari Sarmane from Finland doesn't work anymore. But I
        remember that Kari did build a layout into one of those Maerklin
        suitcases for the little fun sets. It was a layout that was folded
        into the box, and had to be folded out. But I believe that is as small
        as it could get.

        --
        GreetingZ
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 29, 2007
          Hello Uwe,

          Thanks for the link, wow that one is tiny in the clear aluminium mini drill
          or make-up case. It looks like the turnout / switch is handmade? My wooden
          cutlery canteen box is bigger than the clear aluminium case though it's not
          very deep it may be same depth.

          Jo Schlenker's of Z-Friends Europe - Jo's Z-Seite
          http://www.schwellenhopser.de/ Kofferanlagen has a similar clear aluminium
          case to Jens Wimmels. Is Jo OK I've not heard from him for ages?

          I remember seeing a photo ages ago of Kari's foldout layout.

          Kind RegardZ

          Melissa
          UK

          Hello Melissa,

          > Can someone enlighten me on the size of Humidors required for Z Scale,
          where
          > to get one from?

          I don't know where to get one near you, but about the necessary size
          maybe this link to Jens Wimmels website might give you a hint:

          http://www.zettzeit.ch/SKA.html

          Check out also the two SKA links. Unfortunately the link to the Cigar
          Box Layout from Kari Sarmane from Finland doesn't work anymore. But I
          remember that Kari did build a layout into one of those Maerklin
          suitcases for the little fun sets. It was a layout that was folded
          into the box, and had to be folded out. But I believe that is as small
          as it could get.

          --
          GreetingZ
          Uwe

        • Dave Hjortnaes
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 29, 2007
            Dear Melissa:

            If you go to the photo section and you look up WIZKidZ, you will see a
            set of photos of 7 cigar boxes from our cigar box contest. I made 2
            cigar boxes, and I would definitely recommend that you not go smaller
            than 8 inches in diameter. I would also suggest that you use the flex
            track made by the english company (someone help me here, I forgot
            their name) instead of marklin or microtrains. I find it flexes
            better. Your biggest problem is getting the track connected together
            so that the gauge is correct. If you make an oval, this is much
            easier.

            Good luck and don't forget to let us see what becomes of your effort.

            dave h.
          • Randall Smidt

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 29, 2007
                That's it. Thank you, Randy.

                dave

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Randall Smidt <randy@...> wrote:

                > Peco is the company you are thinking of, Dave.
                >
                > Randy
                >
                > Dave Hjortnaes <dlhort1955@...> wrote:
                > Dear Melissa:
                >
                > If you go to the photo section and you look up WIZKidZ, you will
                see a
                > set of photos of 7 cigar boxes from our cigar box contest. I made
                2
                > cigar boxes, and I would definitely recommend that you not go
                smaller
                > than 8 inches in diameter. I would also suggest that you use the
                flex
                > track made by the english company (someone help me here, I forgot
                > their name) instead of marklin or microtrains. I find it flexes
                > better. Your biggest problem is getting the track connected
                together
                > so that the gauge is correct. If you make an oval, this is much
                > easier.
                >
                > Good luck and don't forget to let us see what becomes of your
                effort.

                > dave h.

              • Ysbrand van der Veen
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 30, 2007
                  Hello Melissa,

                  Firstly Jo. Joachim had real health problems he struggled with for a
                  long time. At the moment he is becoming active again, although he
                  will still have to take care.

                  As far as the cigar box and make-up case are concerned, these are
                  very small indeed. In the Netherlands I started an initiative based
                  on Ikea Mackis http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50032386
                  This is a three box set, with two boxes that are nice as mobile
                  storage. The biggest box is 34x27x17 cm and nice to create a mini
                  layout or diorama in. The cases are of real nice Birch plywood.

                  Perhaps after the SKA initiative, the Mackis Challenge could be the
                  next thing. And because Ikea is almost everywhere in the world now,
                  this Z challenge could be a worldwide one.

                  Best,
                  Ysbrand

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hello Uwe,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the link, wow that one is tiny in the clear aluminium
                  mini drill
                  > or make-up case. It looks like the turnout / switch is handmade? My
                  wooden
                  > cutlery canteen box is bigger than the clear aluminium case though
                  it's not
                  > very deep it may be same depth.
                  >
                  > Jo Schlenker's of Z-Friends Europe - Jo's Z-Seite
                  > http://www.schwellenhopser.de/ Kofferanlagen has a similar clear
                  aluminium
                  > case to Jens Wimmels. Is Jo OK I've not heard from him for ages?
                  >
                  > I remember seeing a photo ages ago of Kari's foldout layout.
                  >
                  > Kind RegardZ
                  >
                  > Melissa
                  > UK
                  >

                  > Hello Melissa,
                  >
                  > > Can someone enlighten me on the size of Humidors required for Z
                  Scale,
                  > where
                  > > to get one from?
                  >
                  > I don't know where to get one near you, but about the necessary size
                  > maybe this link to Jens Wimmels website might give you a hint:
                  >
                  > http://www.zettzeit.ch/SKA.html
                  >
                  > Check out also the two SKA links. Unfortunately the link to the
                  Cigar
                  > Box Layout from Kari Sarmane from Finland doesn't work anymore. But
                  > remember that Kari did build a layout into one of those Maerklin
                  > suitcases for the little fun sets. It was a layout that was folded
                  > into the box, and had to be folded out. But I believe that is as
                  small
                  > as it could get.
                  >
                  > --
                  > GreetingZ
                  > Uwe

                • Uwe Liermann
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 30, 2007
                    Hello Melissa,

                    > SKA I - III

                    those three layouts all use the same case. As far as I did understand
                    it is/was an make-up case. Jens Wimmel, Andrej Katzenberger and
                    Joachim Schlenker installed some very nice layouts into it.
                    Unfortunately Andrej's website isn't available. On Jo's website you
                    can see all three layouts side by side.

                    > It looks like the turnout / switch is handmade?

                    On his website Jens writes, that for him a layout has to have a
                    turnout, so he had to make one... ;-)

                    > My wooden cutlery canteen box is bigger than the clear aluminium
                    > case though it's not very deep it may be same depth.

                    depending on the scenery, that you want to create, I believe if the box
                    is about 40 mm or 1.6" (or more) deep then you can use it. I have a
                    case I used for storing and transporting my SLR camera, and it is
                    about 130 mm or 5" deep. So I will try to have some up and under
                    tracks in it somehow. The box is about 330mm x 270mm (13" x 10.6")

                    --
                    GreetingZ
                    Uwe
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 30, 2007
                      Hello Ysbrand,

                      Thanks for the update on Joachim, glad to hear he is improving, was worried
                      he had taken a turn for worse as he was so ill the last time I heard from
                      him.

                      Now Ikea is always a good source of storage, I like that shop, most of my
                      furniture is their solid pine stuff. Wish they still did the glass coffee
                      table with the single large drawer that people put Z scale model railways
                      in, I missed out on that one.

                      Sounds like a good idea to have a challenge on these boxes.

                      Kind RegardZ

                      Melissa

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 30, 2007
                        Hello Uwe,

                        The SKA I-III look great.

                        I like Loren's silverware box too, the detail in that's amazing.

                        My wooden cutlery box should be OK then with the dimensions these use and
                        those you mention of your camera transporter box.

                        I'll have a dabble and see what I can squeeze in it.

                        Kind RegardZ

                        Melissa
                        UK

                        Hello Melissa,

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 30, 2007
                          Dear Dave,

                          Thanks will take a look. I have a box of Peco Z scale Flex track.

                          I know flex tracks not easy to keep in gauge, I also do N scale and that's a
                          bit difficult to keep to gauge too with tight curves.

                          Kind regardZ

                          Melissa
                          UK

                          Dear Melissa:

                          If you go to the photo section and you look up WIZKidZ, you will see a
                          set of photos of 7 cigar boxes from our cigar box contest. I made 2
                          cigar boxes, and I would definitely recommend that you not go smaller
                          than 8 inches in diameter. I would also suggest that you use the flex
                          track made by the english company (someone help me here, I forgot
                          their name) instead of marklin or microtrains. I find it flexes
                          better. Your biggest problem is getting the track connected together
                          so that the gauge is correct. If you make an oval, this is much
                          easier.

                          Good luck and don't forget to let us see what becomes of your effort.

                          dave h.

                        • Alan Cox
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 30, 2007
                            > Now Ikea is always a good source of storage, I like that shop, most of my
                            > furniture is their solid pine stuff. Wish they still did the glass coffee
                            > table with the single large drawer that people put Z scale model railways
                            > in, I missed out on that one.

                            They still do some useful sized objects. My european layout is the
                            "Ikeabahn" because its an 83cmx50cm Ivar shelf size and mounted in Ikea
                            shelving units (with another layout below)
                          • Melissa Cull
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
                              Hi Alan & Uwe,

                              Yes I have IKEA IVAR shelving for my vast collection of research and course
                              books as they are really strong and can take the weight. I use the smaller
                              type as my books are so heavy so can get more bracing in.

                              I'd be a bit wary of mounting directly to the shelves if you have to cross
                              shelves, unless it was the single larger one you use as although it's quite
                              accurately machined 1 or 2 mm difference in height in Z scale would be like
                              a hump back bridge for track.

                              I have thought about putting a layout on the larger one of the shelves of
                              the IKEA LEKSVIK Bookcase just before it changes to the thinner shelves.

                              http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20033863

                              Kind RegardZ

                              Melissa
                              UK

                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
                                > I'd be a bit wary of mounting directly to the shelves if you have to cross
                                > shelves, unless it was the single larger one you use as although it's quite
                                > accurately machined 1 or 2 mm difference in height in Z scale would be like
                                > a hump back bridge for track.

                                From experience yes - you either cross shelves above board level on one
                                or both sides witha bridge or lay hardboard or similar as a track base to
                                smooth the gap/transition.

                                The ikeabahn is actually built on a board cut to the same geometry as the
                                official ivar shelving and then braced underneath. That makes it much
                                easier to get track pins and wiring through.
                              • Uwe Liermann
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
                                  Hello Melissa,

                                  > I have IKEA IVAR

                                  one might wonder if there is a person who don't have at least heard of
                                  this system... :-)
                                  I also have a small IVAR shelf in use. A lesson learned after I
                                  couldn't extend another shelf system because the manufacturer stopped
                                  the production of it. I only needed some small parts then... but no
                                  chance... :-(

                                  > I'd be a bit wary of mounting directly to the shelves if you have to cross
                                  > shelves, unless it was the single larger one you use as although it's quite
                                  > accurately machined 1 or 2 mm difference in height in Z scale would be like
                                  > a hump back bridge for track.

                                  I would use the longer shelfs (about 80 cm / 31.5") for a project like
                                  this. This would make it easier to adjust the shelfs in level to each
                                  other. An adjustable foot in the shelf legs would help too. If you
                                  want to go to shows, it is a must anyway.

                                  > I have thought about putting a layout on the larger one of the shelves of
                                  > the IKEA LEKSVIK Bookcase just before it changes to the thinner shelves.

                                  As I wrote, I would be wary about the availability in the long run.
                                  Even with BILLY, another classic IKEA bookcase I got problems, since
                                  they changed the length of the wider bookcases from 90 cm to 80 cm at
                                  sometime. It's only IVAR that is around unchanged since one can
                                  remember.

                                  --
                                  GreetingZ
                                  Uwe
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
                                    Hello Uwe,

                                    I would only use the Leksvik for a one off and mount the actual layout on a
                                    board to slide onto it not extending to others. I experienced the stopping
                                    of a range mid collecting it, remember the Fjord range got the small pieces
                                    and just as I was about to get the large chest of drawers and the wardrobe
                                    it was gone:-(

                                    I had noticed the BILLY had changed but I don't collect that as I like solid
                                    pine or birch.

                                    I hope they bring the glass topped single drawer coffee table back, the new
                                    one with two drawers or glass lids is too small inside for a nice sized
                                    layout even in Z scale, it would only do a brief case size.

                                    The IKEA adjustable metal table legs would be good for a layout. Though
                                    Lidel and Aldi often do great metal trestles that are between ?4 to ?8
                                    sterling which are absolutely ideal for layout legs as they take up to 100
                                    Kg and are a great deal less effort than doing woodwork.

                                    Kind regardZ

                                    Melissa
                                    UK

                                    Hello Melissa,

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
                                      Hi Alan,

                                      That's how I thought it would have to be done with a seperate board on top.

                                      Kind RegardZ

                                      Melissa
                                      UK

                                      > I'd be a bit wary of mounting directly to the shelves if you have to
                                      cross
                                      > shelves, unless it was the single larger one you use as although it's
                                      quite
                                      > accurately machined 1 or 2 mm difference in height in Z scale would be
                                      like
                                      > a hump back bridge for track.

                                      From experience yes - you either cross shelves above board level on one