GTE Train show, Puyallup, WA, Nov 17-18 Report

  • Jim Glass
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 21, 2007
      Rain, Rain, Rain. Must be Fall in the Northwest. Vendors, Exhibitors and Crowds were in Puyallup fairgrounds for Trains and everything connected with Trains, from Z to Live Steam. The major Z contingent (Sorry, Terry, no slight intended ) was located in the back of the large new auditorium next to the Live steamers (silent, Thank God, due to Fire Marshall concerns). Tom and Andy manned the NWPZS modules, Robin and Chris commanded another set of modules for the Klamath/Portland interests and I and Mark Million along with Robin cared for the BYOZ tables. In all a fun time for all. Crowds were good with requisite numbers of sprats, Vendors did a healthy business with Z club members and Tom provided drinks and food occasionally.

      I did not circulate much during this show as I was too busy talking to old and new prospects about Z, Nn3 (Yes, there were a few closet Z Scalers in attendance, I wore my Nn3 shirt under my jacket) and trains in general. Chris and I had a hoot running some of my collection of old engines I had dug out for this show, GG1, UP 2-8-2 and my ATSF caboose with rear marker light (provided by Robin). Robin's FREDs were on each of the other consists. I left all my passenger sets at home (I am still recovering from the theft of a Sounder engine at an earlier show this Fall). Chris also ran a nice consist of all flats and gondolas with loads that he has made up for me in the past.

      Robin did double duty at the module when Chris as absent (he took some of longest potty breaks known to mankind and came back with sacks of trains). Only other person I know to do this is Loren. Robin's briefcase BYOZ was a model of a Garden Layout with the owner gone but not forgotten as evidenced by a large pair of sandals. Later in the show a Bumblebee appeared and ran the rest of the time as a G scale rep.

      Wish I could tell you more of what Tom and Andy and Terry and Helen were up to, but I was so busy talking I actually lost my voice Sunday. I did notice that the modules and Terry's tables in the distance were constantly surrounded by people. Robin and I handed out a few free Ztrack magazines, provided by Rob, to "qualified" onlookers. As always I had Z vendor literature out as did Chris.

      I'm sure to have forgotten to mention something or the other; hopefully, Tom, Robin, Terry, et al will fill in the spaces. Missing in action were Harold and Thea Oakley with some of their wonderful, old German collection. Hoping all is well with them. Weather may have prevented other of our regulars from coming also.

      Jim Glass
      Redmond, WA, USA

    • Tom Gilchrist
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2007