Group photo from NTS2001 on Cover Page

  • jmac_han@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2001
      Hi Gang,

      I thought the cover page should pay homage to the intrepid band of
      adventurers who defended the honour of Z scale in the heart of enemy
      territory at the 2001 National Train Show in St. Louis, MO a little
      over 2 weeks ago.

      Sorry for the funny colours but I forgot that my Canon Powershot S100
      had a colour balance setting for tungsten lighting! I tried to
      correct it slightly so that it was at least bearable to look at.

      I have the names of almost everyone in the picture but this week's
      riddle is to name the last 3 people in the photo. Please send your
      entries into Z_Scale, thanks. The winner will receive a round of
      applause from 425 - 1 members of the list.

      From left to right starting at the back row (the back row starts 1
      person from the extreme left hand side of the image, in the back)...

      Billy Roden, module coordinator and author of several construction
      articles for Ztrack Magazine, the latest being a piece on how to
      build row housing (we got to see the finished product at the show),

      Helmut Paule, pronounced Pawlay, was like an extra pair of hands
      during the show. He also demonstrated the incredible tracking
      ability of the ICE train with all 6 units!

      Rob Kluz, editor and publisher of Ztrack Magazine, was a very busy
      guy hosting several manufacturers at his booths which were easy to
      send people too because they were right behind a huge stack of
      boxes ;-) Rob was so tired after the show that he didn't even want
      to talk about trains anymore. Whew, now that IS tired!

      An unidentified gentleman...this is the first part of the riddle.

      Hans Riddervold, American Z Lines, who made us all drool profusely
      with the prototype E8 in Union Pacific colours. I must brag that it
      negociated all of the curves and grades on the VEC with ease. Keep
      up the good work, Hans.

      I think that this is Rich from Columbus, Ohio. Don't quote me
      though. Please confirm the identity of the second part of our riddle.

      Yours truly who is standing on the top rung of David George's step
      ladder. What, you thought I really was 7 feet tall?

      David George, who made a great impression with his very entertaining
      modules. He was right to insist that we leave space around his area
      so that the public could get up close to see the trains. David's
      rocks are masterpieces and we hope to get him to write an article and
      to do a clinic at NTS2002.

      OK, front row from left to right...

      David Huffines, president of the Dallas, Garland and Mesquite or is
      it the Houston Z-Bend Track? Crikee, I can't remember, sorry,
      David. He was usually wearing a model railroader uniform during the
      show and interacting constantly with the public...a great ambassador
      for Z scale.

      Jeffrey White, a Georgia transplant to Florida, oops, South Georgia,
      and long distance member of the Dallas, Garland and Mesquite club.
      Jeffrey had a permanent smile on his face as you can see from the
      phot where he is actually asleep ;-)

      Ilona Steltner also had a permanent smile on her face. I had several
      lovely conversations with Ilona who didn't understand a word I said.
      I didn't matter, the messages always seemed to get through.

      ??? mystery guest number 3...

      Harald Freudenreich, the master of hand-made US and Swiss
      prototypes. As I already told you, he tricked me into buying one of
      his boxcabs by sneakily allowing me to run it on my layout. Harald
      is great fun. We will be meeting again at Sinsheim, Germany in March
      2002.

      Terry Sutfin, TV star and Z evangelist, set new standards for the NTS
      dress code on Saturday. Terry will also be joining me in Sinsheim,
      Germany next March for a week of Z shinanigans and hopefully an
      inside look at the Märklin factory in Göppingen. SHHHH,
      Märklin doesn't know about our visit yet! Terry's PVDC is always
      a crowd pleaser and a hit with the kids who can actually see the
      trains.

      Chad Bryan, who is one of the pillars of the Houston Z-Bend Track
      modular group. Although appearing quiet and unassuming on the
      outside, he really is quiet and unassuming! It was fun to get to
      know Chad a little at the Saturday supper.

      Bill Kronenberger, the Z-Bend Track guru, was everywhere during the
      show keeping the troops concentrating on running trains for the
      fans. He also can drive huge distances without sleep while consuming
      alarming quantities of coffee!

      and last but not least...Rob Allbritton, the Swiss module creator and
      DCC promotor. My theory is that he used an industrial extruding
      machine to squirt out the 500 feet of modules that he unloaded from
      the 200 foot semi-trailer that he crashed through the wall of the
      stadium! He confessed later that his better half actually did the
      scenery on the modules...is that all, Rob? Come clean!

      Several ladies were with us at the time of the photo but declined to
      be embarassed being associated with the rest of us. Special thanks
      to Marthe Simard, Helen Sutfin, Sandy Milne, and Elizabeth Wellman.
      We hope to see you all again next summet in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
      for the 1st National Z Scale SIG convention. Details to follow...

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey MacHan
      SIG Coordinator
    • Robert Allbritton
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2001
        My God! It looks like the cover of Sgt. Peppers!

        <grin>
        -Rob

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2001
          Jeffrey,

          Rich Petruska is the gentleman right behind Harald. Immediately to the right
          is Hans Riddervold (directly behind Terry Sutfin).

          I can see the caption for the photo: "Jaundice runs rampant at NMRA
          convention!" You have to love Tungsten. Many of my photos have a real yellow
          cast. The yellow curtains behind the booths did not help matters much.

          Rob Kluz

          Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          Dublin, OH 43016
          Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
          www.ztrack.com
        • stamperdream@yahoo.ca
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30, 2001
            I thought it was Rich. Only seeing half a head didn't help
            stimulate my recollections.

            Bill Kronenberger has solved the riddle for the fuzzy gentleman in
            the front row who has a distinguished history in model
            railroading. Bill also confirmed that David Huffines is President
            of the Dallas, Garland and Mesquite Club. I'll let Bill give the
            rest of the details.

            <quote>
            The person with the fuzzy face in the first row (guest 3) is Russ
            Straw of Houston.  He rode up with us on the trip.  I guess he
            must have moved at the instant of the picture.

            Russ is an accomplished Nn3 scaler and N scaler (Great Model
            Railroad, 1998 issue).  As an author, he has been published
            about 30+ times in various RR mags.  He had brought his
            "Sugar Land" modules to the show (Best of Show 1997) and
            also had a box full of Nn3 and N scale custom locos at the show
            (models to die for).  He only does museum quality work, never
            less.
            <unquote>

            This explains why I only remember seeing Russ at the time of
            the picture. I wish that I had had more free time to get to know
            these people during the show. Unfortunately, I hardly even
            glanced at the N modules. I took a good look at the Nn3 section
            though and had a nice chat with the young fellow who had built
            several Nm3 modules.

            That leaves only one unidentified face in the photo. It would be
            nice to have everyone's name for the record. Anyone from Dallas
            want to fill us in?

            Cheers,
            Jeffrey MacHan

          • jmac_han@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 16, 2001
              Mystery guest #3 revealed!

              The puzzle is now complete. The last of the unidentified faces in
              the NTS2001 group photo has come forward.

              <quote
              I believe that I am the last mystery guest in the NTS
              2001 photo, my name is Mike Futrell and I'm with the
              Dallas, Garland, and Mesquite club in Dallas.
              <unquote>

              Thanks, Mike, and thank you to all of the great Z scalers who
              contributed to make NTS2001 a resounding success for Z, period!

              Cheers,
              Jeffrey MacHan

              P.S.: here is the where mystery guest #3 stood in the photo, front
              row between...

              > Ilona Steltner ...
              >
              > ??? mystery guest number 3...
              >
              > Harald Freudenreich, the master of hand-made US and Swiss
              > prototypes.
            • Adam
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 8, 2001
                Anyone get this squared away yet?

                The mystery man (good tune by The Outfield) is Mike Futrell of the
                Dallas, Garland, & Mesquite Railway Systems. (4th from left in back,
                with the BIG cheesy grin).

                If someone has already addressed this, please disregard this post.

                Regards,
                Adam Amick
                DG&M