Re: Templates

  • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@xxxxxxxx.xxxxx.x.xxxxx)
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 1999
      Dear Jeff,

      I do know how you feel. Having all these nice looking locos and cars, the tracks
      and turnouts, but no idea, how they may fit.

      Here is my learning curve:

      - To play with, there is a nice package of plastic tracks and accessoirs from
      Maerklin (No. 0232 Gleisplanspiel), you can use to find out the (about) right
      track layout. I used it just for playing around to get ideas.
      - There is available also a template from Maerklin (No. 0212 Gleisplan-
      Zeichenschablone). I used it only at the beginning. It is not accurate, if you
      do not use it very, very carefully. It is at a scale 1:5, so you know what I
      mean.
      - Then I purchased from Maerklin a booklet 'Gleisanlagenbuch' (track layout
      booklet, No. 0294). There I found ideas of nice layouts, which I followed.
      I did some amendments, using my engineering skills and knowledge, how to find in
      the books the relevant formulae on geometry. When I later checked my so created
      layouts with the computer programms (see below) I was not too far off, just
      Millimeters. The rule "1+1=2" seems to bee still ok :-).
      - The final step was the purchase of a computer program to create my own layouts
      and matching strikt matching rules of tracks. This was it!! I use it now as the
      sole tool to imagine layouts. There are several companies offering this tool.
      All have their merrits and disadvantages. It is a matter of taste, which one to
      choose.

      I do hope, this story may help you.

      Howdy

      Dieter

      Jeff Masiello schrieb:
      > From: Jeff Masiello <neonflux@...>
      >
      > Howdy all,
      > Jeff the newbie here again. I've been looking through catalogues for a
      > template to help me design my layout but I can't find one in either marlin
      > or MT. Do they make them? if not how did you get around the issues and
      > design a layout? I can't afford to buy a bunch of pieces of track and "play"
      > with them till they look nice.
      > Thanks,
      > Jeff
      >
      > PS. I really appreciate the mature and informative attitude of this group.
      > I've been in a lot of groups where ppl are very sensative and seem like they
      > want to be offended. You all read the posts and reply with good solid
      > information and I just wanted to say thank you.
      >
      > > Small iZ Beautiful!

      Dieter W. Nolte
      E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...