New Z Layout

  • Dr John Lundy
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
      Loren has shown me the the light, and I have decomissioned my N scale
      layout and this morning started on a new Z layout. I have some pics in
      the album John's Z scale stuff. I have laid some MTL track into a
      tentative mainline. I plan to model the Columbia River Gorge so
      probably level grades, but I might have a branch line into the hills.
      Time frame is 1950s and 60s (SP&S, GN, NP, and UP) so lots of variation
      in equipment. Loren has promised to keep me on a short leash so I
      actually get some scenery, etc done. He obviously likes a challenge!
      I look forward to learning from all of you along the way.

      John
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
        Interresting! But have you got an accurate trackplan
        to show us here?

        Dom

        --- Dr John Lundy <jlundy46@...> a écrit :

        > Loren has shown me the the light, and I have
        > decomissioned my N scale
        > layout and this morning started on a new Z layout. I
        > have some pics in
        > the album John's Z scale stuff. I have laid some MTL
        > track into a
        > tentative mainline. I plan to model the Columbia
        > River Gorge so
        > probably level grades, but I might have a branch
        > line into the hills.
        > Time frame is 1950s and 60s (SP&S, GN, NP, and UP)
        > so lots of variation
        > in equipment. Loren has promised to keep me on a
        > short leash so I
        > actually get some scenery, etc done. He obviously
        > likes a challenge!
        > I look forward to learning from all of you along the
        > way.
        >
        > John

      • Jim O'Connell
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
          Dom, It goes like this. On the Oregon side of the Columbia River you
          have a two sometime three track mainline. On the Washington side you
          have mostly a two track mainline. Since it is a 60 mile stretch of
          slightly curved and mostly straight track with about a .2% grade, I
          think you can visualize most of this track plan. The 'best of the
          gorge' is about 25 miles long and does lend itself to some modeling
          some relief on the Oregon side. A spur line could be modeled in the
          Hood River area going south to logging country. Cheers, Jim CCRR

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique

          _______
          > Ne gardez plus qu'une seule adresse mail ! Copiez vos mails vers
          Yahoo! Mail

        • de Champeaux Dominique
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
            Interresting! But have you got an accurate trackplan
            to show us here?

            Dom

            --- Dr John Lundy <jlundy46@...> a écrit :

            > Loren has shown me the the light, and I have
            > decomissioned my N scale
            > layout and this morning started on a new Z layout. I
            > have some pics in
            > the album John's Z scale stuff. I have laid some MTL
            > track into a
            > tentative mainline. I plan to model the Columbia
            > River Gorge so
            > probably level grades, but I might have a branch
            > line into the hills.
            > Time frame is 1950s and 60s (SP&S, GN, NP, and UP)
            > so lots of variation
            > in equipment. Loren has promised to keep me on a
            > short leash so I
            > actually get some scenery, etc done. He obviously
            > likes a challenge!
            > I look forward to learning from all of you along the
            > way.
            >
            > John

          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
              Oooppsss....Sorry, I made a mistake, I replied
              twice....Please disregard!

              Dom

              --- de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...> a
              écrit :

              > Interresting! But have you got an accurate trackplan
              > to show us here?
              >
              > Dom

            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                Well, I'm looking forward to seeing the following!

                Dom

              • John Mui
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                  John, I love the idea. The Columbia River Gorge has some of the most
                  beutiful scenery I ever seen, but why dont you do a modern layout, or you
                  dont like the smell of the trash train. :D By the way, I am known as Dr.
                  John in my family because of my bad handwriting.

                  John
                  > Loren has shown me the the light, and I have decomissioned my N scale
                  > layout and this morning started on a new Z layout. I have some pics in
                  > the album John's Z scale stuff. I have laid some MTL track into a
                  > tentative mainline. I plan to model the Columbia River Gorge so
                  > probably level grades, but I might have a branch line into the hills.
                  > Time frame is 1950s and 60s (SP&S, GN, NP, and UP) so lots of variation
                  > in equipment. Loren has promised to keep me on a short leash so I
                  > actually get some scenery, etc done. He obviously likes a challenge!
                  > I look forward to learning from all of you along the way.
                  >
                  > John

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Loren Snyder
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                    And don't forget Jim that the Columbia goes right down the middle of all
                    that beautiful scenery. John could do a smash up river scene with barges
                    and sailboats, etc. Of course, on the North side he'll be running BN most
                    likely.
                    I once took a tourist boat ride between Cascade Locks and Hood River I
                    believe it was, and I can still visualize those long BN freight consists
                    heading East along the river.

                    But one thing for John to remember is that he may have to take "Tree Making
                    101" as taught by Jim O'Connell and Loren Snyder. Millions of trees as I
                    seem to recall....... Woe is John!

                    Loren

                    _______

                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                      Hey gang,
                      There is nothing quite as sweet as seeing a former Z scaler that somehow
                      went astray, but then saw the light and now is coming back to the fold.

                      Everyone, please welcome John back into the fold.

                      John first joined the CZM gang way back about 2005 and he and his lovely
                      wife Patty attended one of CZM's first dinners out at some restaurant, (I
                      forget the restaurant's name........so much food has gone down the gullet
                      since the early days) Terry Sutfin and his wife Hellen were also present at
                      that meal.

                      Well, somehow John got side tracked or discouraged, or bored, you name it,
                      but he slowly drifted into the sunset with nary a word to the rest of us.

                      I don't know exactly what happened a few week, days, or months ago, but all
                      of a sudden John goes and pops up again. Well, when he puts himself in the
                      cross hairs of us Z sharp shooters, what does he expect except to get shot
                      between the eyes.

                      It does appear at this time that John is serious and I know all CZMers who
                      attend the local shows will be very happy to see him back with us. John
                      talks of doing a yard module which will be very helpful to CZM.

                      BTW, there is something very special coming down the pike in the future that
                      will in my humble opinion revolutionize the concept of yard switching and
                      actual building of trains. This is sorely needed I feel in our displays at
                      train shows.
                      I know you have all seen folks in other scales at train shows actually
                      building trains in the yards and then directing them onto the main lines.
                      Attendees at shows don't like to see no train movement on the tracks, and
                      while building consists may not be quite as exciting as watching a train
                      travel down the main line, there are some who are fascinated by watching
                      trains being made up.

                      My whole point is that someday in not the too distant future I believe a
                      product will come along that will greatly encourage many to build yard
                      modules and actually build trains in front of the viewing audience.

                      Got your curiosity up a bit? Well, I can't say more because if I do I will
                      die a lonely, gruesome death by who knows what means. But I promise you
                      this, that if this concept I am referring to does become a reality in the
                      near future, it could put a whole new meaning to the term "playing with
                      trains"

                      You'll just have to put this bit of speculative jabber on the back burner of
                      your mind for now and go ahead and concentrate on your trains as it is now
                      officially "train season" and it's time to turn and burn.

                      Ok, back to John the prodigal son. Let's all encourage him and give him any
                      helpful info if he asks for it on the forum.

                      Welcome home John--now stay in your train room and build, build, build!!
                      Loren

                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                        Dom,

                        For a careless, thoughtless mistake such as double posting you are going to
                        have to go to your train room and work for 4 undisturbed hours without
                        interuption.............Aw gee.........do I have to?
                        Loren

                        écrit :

                        > Interresting! But have you got an accurate trackplan
                        > to show us here?
                        >
                        > Dom

                        .

                      • Loren Snyder
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                          John,
                          I heard that you were known as Dr. John because of the way you dissected
                          your last kit bash loco.......
                          Did the patient die on the operating table? ;O(
                          Loren

                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                            No Loren, it didn't die, but just say the implants are not symmetrical.

                            John
                            > I heard that you were known as Dr. John because of the way you dissected
                            > your last kit bash loco.......
                            > Did the patient die on the operating table? ;O(
                            > Loren

                          • de Champeaux Dominique
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                              Yes Loren! It'll be done.....Tomorrow! (I've some
                              Woodlands Scenics risers to set in place on my small
                              in prgress layout...)

                              Dom

                              --- Loren Snyder <ljsnyder@...> a écrit :

                              > Dom,
                              >
                              > For a careless, thoughtless mistake such as double
                              > posting you are going to
                              > have to go to your train room and work for 4
                              > undisturbed hours without
                              > interuption.............Aw gee.........do I have to?
                              > Loren

                            • Loren Snyder
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                                Oh, that could be really ugly. I think I've seen something similar, only
                                in real life once........if you know what I mean.'
                                Loren

                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                                  Wow, all this news of guys getting back into the train rooms.......(Robert
                                  Ray, Sgt Tim, and a few others never left) makes for exciting reading.

                                  There is nothing quite like spending several undisturbed hours in the train
                                  room........aw, life if good!
                                  Loren

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                                    Loren, its been a busy time for me. I been talking to Oli about installing
                                    decoders into my engines. Emailing Jim about the progress of my diorama.
                                    Sending my Maxi III to Tim. You know what, I like to know there are train
                                    stuff coming to me. Yes, life is good this days.

                                    John
                                  • Loren Snyder
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                                      John,
                                      Jeff Merrill is a wiz when it comes to electronics and the BAZ layout
                                      modules and he has me convinced that DCC is the cat's pajamas. I'll likely
                                      have Oli take some of my money too and convert my AZL locos over. I just
                                      need to find a pot of gold somewhere, (besides the gold I use in my lab.....
                                      .I can't touch that.

                                      Loren

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                                        Loren, Oli installed a decoder, front headlights, and ditchligts. Here is a
                                        little video.

                                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=941Nr1zOFDc

                                        John

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                                          I will probably go DCC with my Z layout since I have a DCC system I
                                          used with N scale. I have contacted Oli about installing decoders in
                                          AZL and Marklin locos, and Glen Chenier installs decoders in MTL F7s. I
                                          have heard rumors that there may be drop in decoders for AZL locos
                                          soon. Anyone know if that is on the horizon?

                                          I just finished lugging the majority of my N scale stuff downstairs to
                                          store in the garage - too darn much like work! At least boxes full of Z
                                          stuff are smaller ;>)

                                          John
                                        • John Mui
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                                            John, AZL has been working on a drop in decoder for over a year, but still
                                            nothing has show up. Right now, AZL is sponsoring the developement of a
                                            decoder, but I expect it to take a while.

                                            John
                                            >I will probably go DCC with my Z layout since I have a DCC system I
                                            > used with N scale. I have contacted Oli about installing decoders in
                                            > AZL and Marklin locos, and Glen Chenier installs decoders in MTL F7s. I
                                            > have heard rumors that there may be drop in decoders for AZL locos
                                            > soon. Anyone know if that is on the horizon?
                                            >
                                            > I just finished lugging the majority of my N scale stuff downstairs to
                                            > store in the garage - too darn much like work! At least boxes full of Z
                                            > stuff are smaller ;>)
                                            >
                                            > John

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • Larry Card
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                                              > Loren has shown me the the light, and I have decomissioned my N scale > layout and this morning started on a new Z layout.

                                              So, um...whatcha gonna do with the N scale stuff?
                                              V/RLarry P. Card
                                              Franklinton NC
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                                                John,

                                                Yes, AZL has been working with two manufacturers to create a drop-in decoder
                                                for Z. As of now, AZL is pressing forward with one manufacturer to create the
                                                drop-ins. It is too soon to announce any details but progress is being made.

                                                Rob

                                                Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                                6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                                Dublin, OH 43016
                                                phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                                                http://www.ztrack.com/
                                                Distributor American Z Line

                                              • Ellen
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                                                  John

                                                  That sounds super!!!! Loren has done his job again!!!

                                                  I saw the Coumbia River Gorge on a trip to the west this summer and its
                                                  a fantastic area to model. I look forward to seeing your work progress

                                                  Ellen
                                                  Indianapolis