MTL Packaging Options discussed.

  • FR.model@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
      Joe,

      about one year ago I have released a bunch of about 50 boxcars
      of your #14100 series. The parts came bulk packed from your company.
      I made a special Old-Style "New York New Haven & Hartford Railroad"
      paint scheme pad printed to fit the cars to my old EY-3 NH electric.
      The jig to adjust the separate doors at the print machine was a great
      challenge ;o)

      We have had no problems with the assembly except the brake wheels.
      The Peacock brake wheel's shafts did not fit in the endwall's drill.
      We had to predrill all car bodies with a 0.5mm drill. This might
      be a problem for hobby modelers. Doing this "free hand" may break
      the drill easy. Drilling too fast would melt the plastic and may
      plug the drill's spiral and finally break it too.

      There were no problems with the separate door assemblies. Some
      customers
      asked the cars with your #907 Marklin style coupler. The center eye of
      these couplers was too small to fit to the car body's truck bolsters.

      I hope this helps

      Harald

    • Larry Donsbach
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
        I think this a great Idea. It provides us cars that we can decorate
        ourselves at a lower cost and opens up a larger market for those decal
        makers that are now doing z decals.

        I have enjoyed the unpainted flat and bulkend cars and have often
        wondered if other cars were in the future.

        I know that you have always had many, many plans rolling around in you
        head as you once said "I have a lot of ideas that I have been thinking
        about but can't talk about them yet." I believe this happened at a BBQ
        following the Ft Worth World's Greatest Hobby Show.

        Hurray for those ideas.

        Larry Donsbach
        San Antonio
        www.zscaleinfo.com
      • dpstripe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
          Joe,
          I think that it is a very good idea. The availability of MT's undecorated
          rolling stock has always been a hit or miss kind of thing. Going straight from
          manufacturing/parts to packaging and bypassing production would streamline
          the process on MT's end as well as for the modeler. This could make the undec
          end of your business almost an "on demand" service. Cool idea, joe.
          Dan S.

        • Jeff BAZ-man
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007
            Addionally, we wouldn't have to wait a year of either the road name on
            a new release or, for a long "out of stock" backlog like SP.

            Considering that there are not all that many body styles, this sounds
            llike a great deal. By ordering a couple of different models, one can
            more easily create what they want or, get spare parts a reasonable
            price while freeing up that hassle to provide them (or deal with the
            requests) by MTL.

            Jeff
            SF Bay Area Z

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

            > > Zane, You have my vote. I'm from Portland. Cheers, Jim CCRR
            >
            > I hope to have a custom painted "Portland & Western" engine in the
            next few
            > months. I need to get some good pictures of the engines running on
            TV
            > Highway. I'm planning on a train primarily hauling timber products.
            >
            > The best bet looks to be to use a GP35 for a GP39-2.
            >
            > For those not from this area, here is a page with pictures.
            > http://www.brian894x4.com/PortlandandWesternRR.html
            >
            > Zane

          • hobbycraftsnmore
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 7, 2007
              Hi
              Here my 2 cents. Just do as Pennzee does his undec cars. Trucks fully
              assembled with couplers but off the cars, The Cars apart and the
              blister pack turned upside down so if fits better in the case.

              Kevin
              Hobby Crafts N More
              http://www.hobbycraftsnmore.com