Re: [Z_Scale] MTL Packaging Options discussed.

  • FT. Dewey
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
      Joe...
      I'd be in the market for undecorated cars of all kinds.
      DEWEY

      Joe DAmato wrote:

      >Hi all,
      >
      >Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in the
      >regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
      >the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
      >seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I came up
      >with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors and
      >brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input so I
      >can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs. I'm
      >thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up again.
      >
      >Cheers
      >
      >Joe
      >MTL
      >

      >Z-scale: minimum siZe, MAXIMUM enjoyment!
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Sometimes, the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.
    • John & Sue Bartolotto
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
        Joe,

        Great idea, but without a even a decal manufacturer out there who has a
        decent selection of Z scale decals then I don't see this as a big seller,
        unless of course MTL is going to step up and start an aftermarket decal
        manufacturing section (hey, not a bad idea!).

        John

      • FR.model@t-online.de
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
          Joe,

          about one year ago I have released a bunch of about 50 boxcars
          of your #14100 series. The parts came bulk packed from your company.
          I made a special Old-Style "New York New Haven & Hartford Railroad"
          paint scheme pad printed to fit the cars to my old EY-3 NH electric.
          The jig to adjust the separate doors at the print machine was a great
          challenge ;o)

          We have had no problems with the assembly except the brake wheels.
          The Peacock brake wheel's shafts did not fit in the endwall's drill.
          We had to predrill all car bodies with a 0.5mm drill. This might
          be a problem for hobby modelers. Doing this "free hand" may break
          the drill easy. Drilling too fast would melt the plastic and may
          plug the drill's spiral and finally break it too.

          There were no problems with the separate door assemblies. Some
          customers
          asked the cars with your #907 Marklin style coupler. The center eye of
          these couplers was too small to fit to the car body's truck bolsters.

          I hope this helps

          Harald

        • Larry Donsbach
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
            I think this a great Idea. It provides us cars that we can decorate
            ourselves at a lower cost and opens up a larger market for those decal
            makers that are now doing z decals.

            I have enjoyed the unpainted flat and bulkend cars and have often
            wondered if other cars were in the future.

            I know that you have always had many, many plans rolling around in you
            head as you once said "I have a lot of ideas that I have been thinking
            about but can't talk about them yet." I believe this happened at a BBQ
            following the Ft Worth World's Greatest Hobby Show.

            Hurray for those ideas.

            Larry Donsbach
            San Antonio
            www.zscaleinfo.com
          • dpstripe@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
              Joe,
              I think that it is a very good idea. The availability of MT's undecorated
              rolling stock has always been a hit or miss kind of thing. Going straight from
              manufacturing/parts to packaging and bypassing production would streamline
              the process on MT's end as well as for the modeler. This could make the undec
              end of your business almost an "on demand" service. Cool idea, joe.
              Dan S.

            • Jeff BAZ-man
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007
                Addionally, we wouldn't have to wait a year of either the road name on
                a new release or, for a long "out of stock" backlog like SP.

                Considering that there are not all that many body styles, this sounds
                llike a great deal. By ordering a couple of different models, one can
                more easily create what they want or, get spare parts a reasonable
                price while freeing up that hassle to provide them (or deal with the
                requests) by MTL.

                Jeff
                SF Bay Area Z

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

                > > Zane, You have my vote. I'm from Portland. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                >
                > I hope to have a custom painted "Portland & Western" engine in the
                next few
                > months. I need to get some good pictures of the engines running on
                TV
                > Highway. I'm planning on a train primarily hauling timber products.
                >
                > The best bet looks to be to use a GP35 for a GP39-2.
                >
                > For those not from this area, here is a page with pictures.
                > http://www.brian894x4.com/PortlandandWesternRR.html
                >
                > Zane

              • hobbycraftsnmore
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 7, 2007
                  Hi
                  Here my 2 cents. Just do as Pennzee does his undec cars. Trucks fully
                  assembled with couplers but off the cars, The Cars apart and the
                  blister pack turned upside down so if fits better in the case.

                  Kevin
                  Hobby Crafts N More
                  http://www.hobbycraftsnmore.com