Re: [Z_Scale] MTL Packaging Options discussed.

  • Randall Smidt
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
      Joe,

      At risk of Bryan and John making fun of me for all of my unfinished projects, I will admit to being a big fan of undecorated rolling stock. I've bought a number of them over the years. Although I haven't finished ANY of the projects I bought them for, I can still dream and spend money. ;-)

      Randy

      Joe DAmato <shipsure2003@...> wrote:
      Hi all,

      Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in the
      regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
      the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
      seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I came up
      with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors and
      brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input so I
      can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs. I'm
      thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up again.

      Cheers

      Joe
      MTL

    • Manfred G
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
        Joe,

        Are you talking just box cars or will you be trying to provide undecs in
        all the different car types?

        Manfred

        Joe DAmato wrote:

        >Hi all,
        >
        >Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in the
        >regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
        >the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
        >seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I came up
        >with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors and
        >brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input so I
        >can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs. I'm
        >thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up again.
        >
        >Cheers
        >
        >Joe
        >MTL
        >

        >Z-scale: minimum siZe, MAXIMUM enjoyment!
        >
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Glen Chenier
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007

          > Can you feel compassion for the gals at MTL who put those things
          together
          > for a living? Are they nutz or going nutZ?

          Let me guess...

          They use binocular microscopes with deep eye relief?

          They use the N/Z scale coupler assembly jig or maybe something even
          better?

          They use the "thread through the spring" trick?

          Maybe they have a LOT of experience too!

          And wanna bet that on occasion, just like most everybody else, even
          they probably scream, cuss, and rant about blankety-blank dumb stupid
          springs.... Sometimes a good cussing fit makes things work perfectly
          on the next attempt. Why? Physcological or physical relief?
        • Zane H. Healy
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
            > Can you feel compassion for the gals at MTL who put those things together
            > for a living? Are they nutz or going nutZ?
            > Loren

            I'm curious, are all the people doing the job really women? Reminds me of
            the old days of computing when Core Plane memory (minature magentic donuts
            on the cross-sections of a weave of fine wires that predate chips being used
            for computer memory) were all made by women, because men couldn't do the
            work.

            Zane
          • Zane H. Healy
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
              > Zane, You have my vote. I'm from Portland. Cheers, Jim CCRR

              I hope to have a custom painted "Portland & Western" engine in the next few
              months. I need to get some good pictures of the engines running on TV
              Highway. I'm planning on a train primarily hauling timber products.

              The best bet looks to be to use a GP35 for a GP39-2.

              For those not from this area, here is a page with pictures.
              http://www.brian894x4.com/PortlandandWesternRR.html

              Zane
            • Loren Snyder
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                You're probably right on all counts Glen. I've watched them for a while and
                I shudder at the thought of doing that for a living.

                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                  Joe...
                  I'd be in the market for undecorated cars of all kinds.
                  DEWEY

                  Joe DAmato wrote:

                  >Hi all,
                  >
                  >Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in the
                  >regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
                  >the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
                  >seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I came up
                  >with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors and
                  >brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input so I
                  >can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs. I'm
                  >thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up again.
                  >
                  >Cheers
                  >
                  >Joe
                  >MTL
                  >

                  >Z-scale: minimum siZe, MAXIMUM enjoyment!
                  >
                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Sometimes, the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.
                • John & Sue Bartolotto
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                    Joe,

                    Great idea, but without a even a decal manufacturer out there who has a
                    decent selection of Z scale decals then I don't see this as a big seller,
                    unless of course MTL is going to step up and start an aftermarket decal
                    manufacturing section (hey, not a bad idea!).

                    John

                  • FR.model@t-online.de
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                      Joe,

                      about one year ago I have released a bunch of about 50 boxcars
                      of your #14100 series. The parts came bulk packed from your company.
                      I made a special Old-Style "New York New Haven & Hartford Railroad"
                      paint scheme pad printed to fit the cars to my old EY-3 NH electric.
                      The jig to adjust the separate doors at the print machine was a great
                      challenge ;o)

                      We have had no problems with the assembly except the brake wheels.
                      The Peacock brake wheel's shafts did not fit in the endwall's drill.
                      We had to predrill all car bodies with a 0.5mm drill. This might
                      be a problem for hobby modelers. Doing this "free hand" may break
                      the drill easy. Drilling too fast would melt the plastic and may
                      plug the drill's spiral and finally break it too.

                      There were no problems with the separate door assemblies. Some
                      customers
                      asked the cars with your #907 Marklin style coupler. The center eye of
                      these couplers was too small to fit to the car body's truck bolsters.

                      I hope this helps

                      Harald

                    • Larry Donsbach
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                        I think this a great Idea. It provides us cars that we can decorate
                        ourselves at a lower cost and opens up a larger market for those decal
                        makers that are now doing z decals.

                        I have enjoyed the unpainted flat and bulkend cars and have often
                        wondered if other cars were in the future.

                        I know that you have always had many, many plans rolling around in you
                        head as you once said "I have a lot of ideas that I have been thinking
                        about but can't talk about them yet." I believe this happened at a BBQ
                        following the Ft Worth World's Greatest Hobby Show.

                        Hurray for those ideas.

                        Larry Donsbach
                        San Antonio
                        www.zscaleinfo.com
                      • dpstripe@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                          Joe,
                          I think that it is a very good idea. The availability of MT's undecorated
                          rolling stock has always been a hit or miss kind of thing. Going straight from
                          manufacturing/parts to packaging and bypassing production would streamline
                          the process on MT's end as well as for the modeler. This could make the undec
                          end of your business almost an "on demand" service. Cool idea, joe.
                          Dan S.

                        • Jeff BAZ-man
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007
                            Addionally, we wouldn't have to wait a year of either the road name on
                            a new release or, for a long "out of stock" backlog like SP.

                            Considering that there are not all that many body styles, this sounds
                            llike a great deal. By ordering a couple of different models, one can
                            more easily create what they want or, get spare parts a reasonable
                            price while freeing up that hassle to provide them (or deal with the
                            requests) by MTL.

                            Jeff
                            SF Bay Area Z

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

                            > > Zane, You have my vote. I'm from Portland. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                            >
                            > I hope to have a custom painted "Portland & Western" engine in the
                            next few
                            > months. I need to get some good pictures of the engines running on
                            TV
                            > Highway. I'm planning on a train primarily hauling timber products.
                            >
                            > The best bet looks to be to use a GP35 for a GP39-2.
                            >
                            > For those not from this area, here is a page with pictures.
                            > http://www.brian894x4.com/PortlandandWesternRR.html
                            >
                            > Zane

                          • hobbycraftsnmore
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 7, 2007
                              Hi
                              Here my 2 cents. Just do as Pennzee does his undec cars. Trucks fully
                              assembled with couplers but off the cars, The Cars apart and the
                              blister pack turned upside down so if fits better in the case.

                              Kevin
                              Hobby Crafts N More
                              http://www.hobbycraftsnmore.com