Re: [Z_Scale] MTL Packaging Options discussed.

  • Loren Snyder
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
      Alan,
      I'm with you on the couplers......I've assembled a few and though it takes
      only a few minutes each.....I end up about a year older per coupler and with
      less hair.......arghhhhhh !!

      Can you feel compassion for the gals at MTL who put those things together
      for a living? Are they nutz or going nutZ?
      Loren

      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
        > Can you feel compassion for the gals at MTL who put those things together
        > for a living? Are they nutz or going nutZ?

        I'd assumed MTL had a machine for it ?

        Alan
      • Randall Smidt
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
          Joe,

          At risk of Bryan and John making fun of me for all of my unfinished projects, I will admit to being a big fan of undecorated rolling stock. I've bought a number of them over the years. Although I haven't finished ANY of the projects I bought them for, I can still dream and spend money. ;-)

          Randy

          Joe DAmato <shipsure2003@...> wrote:
          Hi all,

          Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in the
          regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
          the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
          seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I came up
          with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors and
          brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input so I
          can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs. I'm
          thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up again.

          Cheers

          Joe
          MTL

        • Manfred G
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
            Joe,

            Are you talking just box cars or will you be trying to provide undecs in
            all the different car types?

            Manfred

            Joe DAmato wrote:

            >Hi all,
            >
            >Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in the
            >regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
            >the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
            >seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I came up
            >with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors and
            >brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input so I
            >can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs. I'm
            >thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up again.
            >
            >Cheers
            >
            >Joe
            >MTL
            >

            >Z-scale: minimum siZe, MAXIMUM enjoyment!
            >
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Glen Chenier
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007

              > Can you feel compassion for the gals at MTL who put those things
              together
              > for a living? Are they nutz or going nutZ?

              Let me guess...

              They use binocular microscopes with deep eye relief?

              They use the N/Z scale coupler assembly jig or maybe something even
              better?

              They use the "thread through the spring" trick?

              Maybe they have a LOT of experience too!

              And wanna bet that on occasion, just like most everybody else, even
              they probably scream, cuss, and rant about blankety-blank dumb stupid
              springs.... Sometimes a good cussing fit makes things work perfectly
              on the next attempt. Why? Physcological or physical relief?
            • Zane H. Healy
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                > Can you feel compassion for the gals at MTL who put those things together
                > for a living? Are they nutz or going nutZ?
                > Loren

                I'm curious, are all the people doing the job really women? Reminds me of
                the old days of computing when Core Plane memory (minature magentic donuts
                on the cross-sections of a weave of fine wires that predate chips being used
                for computer memory) were all made by women, because men couldn't do the
                work.

                Zane
              • Zane H. Healy
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                  > Zane, You have my vote. I'm from Portland. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                  I hope to have a custom painted "Portland & Western" engine in the next few
                  months. I need to get some good pictures of the engines running on TV
                  Highway. I'm planning on a train primarily hauling timber products.

                  The best bet looks to be to use a GP35 for a GP39-2.

                  For those not from this area, here is a page with pictures.
                  http://www.brian894x4.com/PortlandandWesternRR.html

                  Zane
                • Loren Snyder
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                    You're probably right on all counts Glen. I've watched them for a while and
                    I shudder at the thought of doing that for a living.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
                      Joe...
                      I'd be in the market for undecorated cars of all kinds.
                      DEWEY

                      Joe DAmato wrote:

                      >Hi all,
                      >
                      >Need some input. I want to start offering Undecorated cars, in the
                      >regular box, but unassembled with parts packed either below or inside
                      >the car. Since these cars will be disassembled for painting, it only
                      >seems obvious to approach this particular product this way. I came up
                      >with the idea while taking a few cars apart and broke the doors and
                      >brake wheel..."gotta be a better way" Anyway, wanted some input so I
                      >can figure out the best approach to dealing with our backlogs. I'm
                      >thinking this will be a great way to get those shelves stocked up again.
                      >
                      >Cheers
                      >
                      >Joe
                      >MTL
                      >

                      >Z-scale: minimum siZe, MAXIMUM enjoyment!
                      >
                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Sometimes, the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.
                    • John & Sue Bartolotto
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                        Joe,

                        Great idea, but without a even a decal manufacturer out there who has a
                        decent selection of Z scale decals then I don't see this as a big seller,
                        unless of course MTL is going to step up and start an aftermarket decal
                        manufacturing section (hey, not a bad idea!).

                        John

                      • FR.model@t-online.de
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                          Joe,

                          about one year ago I have released a bunch of about 50 boxcars
                          of your #14100 series. The parts came bulk packed from your company.
                          I made a special Old-Style "New York New Haven & Hartford Railroad"
                          paint scheme pad printed to fit the cars to my old EY-3 NH electric.
                          The jig to adjust the separate doors at the print machine was a great
                          challenge ;o)

                          We have had no problems with the assembly except the brake wheels.
                          The Peacock brake wheel's shafts did not fit in the endwall's drill.
                          We had to predrill all car bodies with a 0.5mm drill. This might
                          be a problem for hobby modelers. Doing this "free hand" may break
                          the drill easy. Drilling too fast would melt the plastic and may
                          plug the drill's spiral and finally break it too.

                          There were no problems with the separate door assemblies. Some
                          customers
                          asked the cars with your #907 Marklin style coupler. The center eye of
                          these couplers was too small to fit to the car body's truck bolsters.

                          I hope this helps

                          Harald

                        • Larry Donsbach
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                            I think this a great Idea. It provides us cars that we can decorate
                            ourselves at a lower cost and opens up a larger market for those decal
                            makers that are now doing z decals.

                            I have enjoyed the unpainted flat and bulkend cars and have often
                            wondered if other cars were in the future.

                            I know that you have always had many, many plans rolling around in you
                            head as you once said "I have a lot of ideas that I have been thinking
                            about but can't talk about them yet." I believe this happened at a BBQ
                            following the Ft Worth World's Greatest Hobby Show.

                            Hurray for those ideas.

                            Larry Donsbach
                            San Antonio
                            www.zscaleinfo.com
                          • dpstripe@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                              Joe,
                              I think that it is a very good idea. The availability of MT's undecorated
                              rolling stock has always been a hit or miss kind of thing. Going straight from
                              manufacturing/parts to packaging and bypassing production would streamline
                              the process on MT's end as well as for the modeler. This could make the undec
                              end of your business almost an "on demand" service. Cool idea, joe.
                              Dan S.

                            • Jeff BAZ-man
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007
                                Addionally, we wouldn't have to wait a year of either the road name on
                                a new release or, for a long "out of stock" backlog like SP.

                                Considering that there are not all that many body styles, this sounds
                                llike a great deal. By ordering a couple of different models, one can
                                more easily create what they want or, get spare parts a reasonable
                                price while freeing up that hassle to provide them (or deal with the
                                requests) by MTL.

                                Jeff
                                SF Bay Area Z

                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

                                > > Zane, You have my vote. I'm from Portland. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                                >
                                > I hope to have a custom painted "Portland & Western" engine in the
                                next few
                                > months. I need to get some good pictures of the engines running on
                                TV
                                > Highway. I'm planning on a train primarily hauling timber products.
                                >
                                > The best bet looks to be to use a GP35 for a GP39-2.
                                >
                                > For those not from this area, here is a page with pictures.
                                > http://www.brian894x4.com/PortlandandWesternRR.html
                                >
                                > Zane

                              • hobbycraftsnmore
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 7, 2007
                                  Hi
                                  Here my 2 cents. Just do as Pennzee does his undec cars. Trucks fully
                                  assembled with couplers but off the cars, The Cars apart and the
                                  blister pack turned upside down so if fits better in the case.

                                  Kevin
                                  Hobby Crafts N More
                                  http://www.hobbycraftsnmore.com